READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

About Therian Gear
Hunchocho
Emotional Mastermind
Theriotype: Common raven
Experience: Therian

About Therian Gear
Olà, fellow ‘kin! Smile

I hope that such a thread doesn't exist already. I couldn't find anything. I'm sorry if I've just been blind. :v

Recently, I’ve seen many blogs, posts on Facebook, Twitter feeds and so on where everyone is so happy to “be an otherkin now because they finally got a tail”. Well, let me say something. XD
To be a therianthrope or otherkin in general you don’t need anything than yourself. Yes, you read right! You only need to identify as something non-human! Accessories like tail, collar, wiccan stuff and all that are NOT an obligation! Whoever says so is pretty much misinformed. :l
Also, you can’t being an otherkin take on and off. You’re usually born with it (psychological ones might see it a bit otherwise but for spiritual otherkin it’s always the same in this case!). Either you’re born with it or not. Are you able to take on and off yourself? This even sounds gross and weird. You are you. If you like it or not, doesn’t matter. ;D

After all, you're still allowed to wear gears, don't get me wrong! It's just not an obligation to be a therianthrope/otherkin. It's more like a luxury thing, you know? So, if you feel comfortable with them, wear them. If not, don't do so. Nobody can and should force you to wear them!

I hope I could help you a bit and take the fear. Have a wonderful and joyful day! Heart

Oh, and... if there should be any mistakes, tell me! Also, if you'd like to add something. bheart
(This post was last modified: 2017-06-13 6:16 by Hunchocho.)
2017-06-10 6:51
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Member is Online
Support pup
Theriotype: Arabian Wolf
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick 
.$team.

RE: About Therian Gear
Moved to the "introduction to therianthropy" forum so more people see this. Smile

LP,
Dusty

If you think I'm wrong just say so. Let's talk about it.
Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
2017-06-10 10:59
Save
Give Thanks
spiderpim
New
Theriotype: canine
Contribution:

In all honestly, I feel like you're puttibg more stuff on you, even than nessecary. And I can't sit straight up with my phantom tail, how would it even feel to have those accessories on those places?
I can't say anything about e.g. collars though
2017-06-10 16:12
Save
Give Thanks
Hunchocho
Emotional Mastermind

(2017-06-10 16:12)spiderpim Wrote:  In all honestly, I feel like you're puttibg more stuff on you, even than nessecary. And I can't sit straight up with my phantom tail, how would it even feel to have those accessories on those places?
I can't say anything about e.g. collars though

YES! I think or feel the same way. Once, I've tried wearing such a tail. 10 minutes have been enough to tell that these things are nothing for me in case of wearing. Otherwise, they can look cute and somehow interesting but that's it.

I absolutely agree with you.Deer Jump

2017-06-10 17:57
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Member is Online
Support pup
Theriotype: Arabian Wolf
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick 
.$team.

Hey,

I wear very functional clothing and kinda hate kitsch, which is exactly what most of this stuff is. So I would never wear it, not the least because I don't want people getting strange ideas about my therianthropy because of it.

As far as it allowing me to experience my therianthropy better, I think the only thing that'd work for me would be wolf ears or a wolf tail I could actually consciously move. You know, for expression. As far as I know, nothing such exists today.

LP,
Dusty

If you think I'm wrong just say so. Let's talk about it.
Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
2017-06-10 18:11
Save
Give Thanks
BearX
Therian Guide Staff
Prepping to Hibernate
Theriotype: Coastal Brown Bear
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
tick 
.$team.

I have a necklace made from a black bear claw. In case you are concerned, the bear had been hit by a car, it was not killed to make the necklace. It is the closest I come to having accessories. Having an item of bearish origin on my person makes me feel closer, spiritually, to my kin.

[Image: bexarp.jpg]
TG Staff | Forum Admin
(Signature cobbled together by Me)
2017-06-10 18:36
Save
Give Thanks
Hunchocho
Emotional Mastermind

@DustWolf
Sounds interesting. Big Grin

@BearX
Oh no... poor bear...
At least some body parts can be used after his death. <3
(This post was last modified: 2017-06-10 18:41 by Hunchocho.)
2017-06-10 18:41
Save
Give Thanks
elicat
Therian Guide Staff
anam fallain
Theriotype: Cat
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
tick tick tick tick 
.$team.

(2017-06-10 18:36)BearX Wrote:  Having an item of bearish origin on my person makes me feel closer, spiritually, to my kin.

I agree, accept for me, it's wolfish. Howl & Wink

I have "wolf ears": leather ears with rabbit fur on them and a "wolf tail": huge silver fox tail that I wear when I feel species dysphoric or when I notice my phantom limbs but get annoyed that I can't also touch them. I only tend to wear them at home though, or when I go to the local Ren Faire because costumes are okay there.

Honestly, I'd love to wear them when out and about but it's not worth the weird looks or comments from people around me.

I know some people don't like the legal taking of animal parts, however I've honored the sacrifice the animals made and I respect them. I would have preferred killing the animal myself, so I'd know that it was done in as humanely a way as possible, but that's just not possible for me. So, I did the best I could because I feel more whole, more like the 'real' me, when I wear these items. It's a way for me to express what's on the inside to those around me on the outside.

That being said, I completely understand those who choose not to wear leather or hide from animals to represent their 'kin sides. I don't begrudge them that choice, just as I hope they don't judge me for mine. Wink

And I agree that wearing or not wearing animal parts doesn't make you any more or less 'kin. It's just a way to express yourself to feel closer to your 'kin type if you want to.

[Image: YJKCUsm.png]

cat | 42 | writer & published author | scuba diver | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | INFJ | eclectic Wiccan witch
2017-06-12 14:33
Save
Give Thanks
Ishvala
The Bookworm
Theriotype: Wolf
silvertick 
.$team.

Educational, simple, and beautiful. I love this!
2017-06-12 14:36
Save
Give Thanks
Snipe
Away
queen of the jungle
Theriotype: Lioness
silvertick 

I have a lion tail and a wolf tail. Helps with dysphoria for me to have something touching the back of my thigh c:
2017-06-12 22:11
Save
Give Thanks