READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

[Therian-related] Common Questions & Answers
Ishvala
The Bookworm
Theriotype: Wolf
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
silvertick 
.$team.

Information [Therian-related] Common Questions & Answers
Ishvala's list of questions and answers
(for young or budding therians that are unsure or mislead)
Criticism is welcomed!

Question: Now that I identify as a therian, what do I do? How am I supposed to act around non-therians?

Answer: Your identity doesn't affect how you act around physical humans like yourself. Just do you, you'll be fine - I promise. Unless of course you start biting people...best not to do that sort of thing. ^^;

Question: Does identifying as a therian change my other identities or beliefs?

Answer: While discovering a new part of yourself can impact other factors that make up your identity, overall it's up to you what does and does not make sense and feel right to you as an individual. No one can tell you what you believe is false - unless of course, it's something that is scientifically impossible.

Question: Should I join Therian Facebook groups, Instagram pages, Tumblr(s), etc.?

Answer: Any media can be either detrimental or strengthening. Even TG. It's your choice to join what you want, but for the sake of your own happiness and sanity, I suggest using a discerning eye when doing so. You'll be much happier with yourself and the online people you interact with.

Question: Now that I identify as a therian, I want to get to know other therians outside of forums. Is there a way to do this?

Answer: Social Media, for one. However, refer to question three for details. After social media there's always gathering for "HOWLS" - something a community of therians will do in order to get together and have (safe) fun. However, if you are not at an adult age (18/21 +) then I suggest making sure safety and parental support is a go before running off to meet irl-strangers.

Question: What about youtuber therians, or even famous ones?

Answer: There is a few therian youtubers, though most of them are unreliable. There's a lot of bad ones, such as Shiro - but youtubers like Catspajamma's still stay strong and give good information. If you're looking for a full list, message myself or ask around. There may even be a thread topic holding the information you seek!

As far as celebrities...while it's possible a number of famous people could feel nonhuman to a certain extent, it's highly doubtful they'd come out and say it publicly. You've seen the bad publicity us normal therians get through the media and internet. There's a reason we as norms stay on forums, can you imagine what a celebrity might go through in comparison? I don't see a therian celebrity coming out anytime soon. Don't lose hope though, there's always a chance, however slim.

Question: Do I need a tail or therian gear to be a therian? What sort of gear counts as "Therian" enough?

Answer: I personally hate the term "Therian Gear" as things like tails, jewelry, etc are no more than a fashion statement. That being the case, of course you don't need it to be a bonified therian. You only ever need to identify as an earthly animal for that. Don't worry about the expectations of others, especially if they tell you otherwise.

Question: Do I need to be spiritual to be therian?

Answer: No, therianthropy is an identity - not a religious or spiritual belief, though a person's identity as a therian may be tied to their beliefs. Just as your beliefs can tie into yours, such as psychological or cognitive theories. No Therian has the same way of identifying, which is what makes the identity itself such a broad and fun topic to talk about.

Question: What is a fluff?

Answer: A 'fluff' is a person who claims to be therian, but either has been mislead/has chosen to be ignorant, or is a troll. A true therian can be a former fluff, and a fluff could be a real therian and still troll due to their knowledge of the community. I suggest staying away from them, as they're very easy to recognize and outside of attempting to educate - aren't worth your time or anger.

Question: I'm having trouble controlling my shifts and behavior, what should I do?

Answer: Practice self-control, just as any other bad behavior. It is not an issue related to therianthropy, it is just an issue that is connected to it through you for whatever reason you may have. This does not make you less of a therian, but it does mean you require more practice with self-control. If you cannot control yourself at all, you may need to seek help.

Question: I'm one hundred percent sure that I am physically a werewolf. I can shift, but I cannot prove it because my shifts are only visible by me/my shifts are blocked/etc. why won't anyone believe me or consider me a therian?

Answer: What you described is not the identity, but a clinical condition called Lycanthropy, which is very different and an actual mental disorder. Seek help, and please research more of the disorder before jumping to conclusions about your identity.

However, you could be a clinical lycanthrope and an Otherkin psychologically in theory...this is trespassing on a more 'edgy' topic. Please pm a more experienced member for discussion, start a thread, or bring it up elsewhere.

Question: I want to run away from my family because they won't accept my identity. What do you recommend I do to survive?

Answer: If you're a minor by your state's laws, stay home. You have the necessities for survival there (food, water, a roof) and can survive until you are legally allowed to leave. If your family is being physically abusive, request help from the appropriate sources.

If your family is being verbally abusive, request help or find other ways to deal with it in a safe manner until you are able to safely leave without any records on your file.

Question: I met a therian online that I love, and I wish to run away with them. Any suggestions?

Answer: Don't do it unless you know you can do so safely and securely, and preferably independently. Depending on anyone in a strange unfamiliar territory is obviously unsafe and can lead to very poor decisions.

Question: I want to start a therian blog/youtube channel/write a book/etc. and I also want to include your group/forum/etc.

Answer: Ask permission, and make sure those you include are willing. Other than that, have fun!

Question: Where can I read a detailed history of the therian community?

Answer: This site here is a pretty good start. You can also ask older members - they may have well experienced the online portions of it in their time!

Question: Teen Wolves and Furries are gross posers, right?

Answer: Teen wolves are a friendly gang of people who are in no relation to Therians, and have never claimed to be. Furries are people who like anthropomorphic art, and while adults tend to sexualize it, a good ninety percent of it is still just normal art like this and nothing more. Things like the media usually give all communities a bad light, so instead of going along with them, find out the answers for yourself. You'll feel much more accomplished and you might even find a great new community to join.

Question: Why are all therians wolves?

Answer: All therians are not wolves, there are birds, sea life, insects and so on. Due to a beginner's first identity as non-human usually being young, a lot of animals are still unknown to them and a lot of wolf traits can relate to the basic human traits - thus a wolf identity is born before they come to terms and do more research.

This does not make them fake, but it does hinder their self-discovery, quite possibly for years when considering things like a bad community's peer pressure, self-inflicted peer pressure, denial, and simple cases of immaturity or laziness.

Question: Can I ask a question that wasn't listed here?

Answer: Yes, feel free. It stops repetitive threads and educates all at the same time. I love it when people ask questions.
2016-12-25 11:19
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Member is Online
Support pup
Theriotype: Arabian Wolf
Experience: Therian
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick 
.$team.

RE: [Therian-related] Common Questions & Answers
Hey,

Can I copy this over to the Introduction to therianthropy forum?

LP,
Dusty

If you think I'm wrong just say so. Let's talk about it.
Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
2016-12-25 13:14
Save
Give Thanks
Ishvala
The Bookworm
silvertick 
.$team.

(2016-12-25 13:14)DustWolf Wrote:  Hey,

Can I copy this over to the Introduction to therianthropy forum?

LP,
Dusty

Go right ahead Dusty.

2016-12-27 23:36
Save
Give Thanks
Azi_MexyWolf
Wolf Father/Pup Sitter
Theriotype: Mexican Wolf
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
.$team..$team.

You're write up is nice and helpful.

Even to myself who has been awakened fully for a year and a half, and identified as a Mexican Wolf for a year.

For Shiro, I know of his TV show appearance and a small video for MTV. That's all I know. However my advise is to exclude any names from the social media part. Singling people out, regardless good or bad, I feel is wrong. Perhaps a more general warning. To just be weary what people read online.

Personally I keep away from all things therian on YouTube. If it is not on a trusted message board I find it hard to believe, and or trust. That and it only works against me personally to cause unneeded anxiety, and could aid in future denial, and suppression again.

While I cannot say I am thrilled with the term Fluff being called one myself for a while, seen by a few as one, even to this day. It is a common term used, so knowledge of the term is needed.

Lee

[Image: Mexican-Gray-Wolves-puppy.jpg]
Mexican Wolf Dad and Pup.

Wolf who has HUMAN mental shifts.
2016-12-28 0:56
Save
Give Thanks
Alliana
Aloof werewolf
Theriotype: werewolf/jaguar
tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team..$team..$team.

Hmm, I have been thinking on being a werewolf therian and this is what I came up with: Werewolves can be therian because they fit the beastman title pretty well and that they originated on Earth.

Okay, ignore me.

Otherwise I don't know, I saw a different definition of Otherkin/therianthropy on Werelist, however solid that might be.

Avatar comes from my good friend Yvvki outside of TG. Smile Thank you so much for doing it!
(This post was last modified: 2017-02-13 0:42 by Alliana.)
2017-02-13 0:34
Save
Give Thanks
Ishvala
The Bookworm
silvertick 
.$team.

(2017-02-13 0:34)Alliana Wrote:  Hmm, I have been thinking on being a werewolf therian and this is what I came up with: Werewolves can be therian because they fit the beastman title pretty well and that they originated on Earth.

Okay, ignore me.

Otherwise I don't know, I saw a different definition of Otherkin/therianthropy on Werelist, however solid that might be.

I feel this is debatable, and would gladly have a debate-forum topic about this in order to go into more detail as to why and how both opinions could be correct. However, this is my short and sweet response...

When it comes to Therianthropy, it is not only defined as Earthly Animals but as non-mythical creatures. A werewolf is a mythical creature, be it an animalistic earthly creature as well - it is still a mystical/mythical one...and thus, not Therian-qualifiable.

That said, a Therian is an otherkin still so calling yourself otherkin doesn't separate you from the therian community...as you can very well see. Wink

Quick note: Also werewolf lore as a whole is mostly having to due with shapeshifting, and human-to-wolf man changes, so this also puts a large dent in considering it "Therian" since Lycanthropy (as a mythic and not a dissorder) is a sub-class of a shapeshifter, which is also considered apart of the Otherkin spectrum of identity...if one could even call it a spectrum.

Other note: I wasn't ignoring you. Depending on the day, it takes me awhile to respond to certain things.

(This post was last modified: 2017-02-13 3:58 by Ishvala.)
2017-02-13 3:48
Save
Give Thanks
Alliana
Aloof werewolf
Theriotype: werewolf/jaguar
tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team..$team..$team.

True, but I am not an otherkin, I am a therian. Therians are those who are beastly in nature whereas Otherkin are more of a culture based variety (or plantkin). I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. =/ I just learned of this definition from Werelist which is different than the definition here. I know you weren't ignoring me though, I would probably be considered fluff because I believe that werewolves are therians.

I also believe that the two are intertwined but separate, as in three Venn Diagrams meeting in a conjoined setting. Maybe someday I'll accept the Otherkin label, though. I just don't feel comfortable yet to consider myself an otherkin.

But yeah, that's the definition I was given on Werelist, which was Otherkin = culture/sentience, Therianthropy = beastly in nature.

I will refer to myself as theriomythic, that seems to fit me moreso than Otherkin.

Avatar comes from my good friend Yvvki outside of TG. Smile Thank you so much for doing it!
(This post was last modified: 2017-02-14 2:32 by Alliana.)
2017-02-14 2:17
Save
Give Thanks
Ishvala
The Bookworm
silvertick 
.$team.

(2017-02-14 2:17)Alliana Wrote:  I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. =/

As you wish.

2017-02-14 5:28
Save
Give Thanks
Neema
Away
Bull of Baboons
Theriotype: Striped hyena & Olive baboon
Contribution: tick tick tick 

(2017-02-14 2:17)Alliana Wrote:  But yeah, that's the definition I was given on Werelist, which was Otherkin = culture/sentience, Therianthropy = beastly in nature.

Pardon the intrusion, but I just checked Werelist and found this post which states the terms and definitions of the therian community.

"Therianthrope: A person who is, feels, or believes he/she is in part or whole (non-physically) one or more non-human animals on an integral, personal level."

I'm not sure where you were looking on the site, but yeah. It's also worth mentioning that this ^^^ is the generally accepted definition by the community as a whole, across just about every therianthropy forum and group on sites. The only thing it leaves out is that therianthropy is limited to earthly animals (animals that exist or have at some point on this earth).

Not that I will stop you from calling yourself what you prefer, but I just thought I should let you know Smile The term theriomythic was used way back when, and some still use it, so I see no reason not to if that's what you like.

And if it interests you at all, here's a link to an older member of the community discussing the evolution of our definitions and how "therianthropy" came to mean what it does.

(This post was last modified: 2017-02-14 7:53 by Neema.)
2017-02-14 7:43
Save
Give Thanks
Ishvala
The Bookworm
silvertick 
.$team.

(2017-02-14 7:43)Neema Wrote:  

(2017-02-14 2:17)Alliana Wrote:  But yeah, that's the definition I was given on Werelist, which was Otherkin = culture/sentience, Therianthropy = beastly in nature.

Pardon the intrusion, but I just checked Werelist and found this post which states the terms and definitions of the therian community.

"Therianthrope: A person who is, feels, or believes he/she is in part or whole (non-physically) one or more non-human animals on an integral, personal level."

I'm not sure where you were looking on the site, but yeah. It's also worth mentioning that this ^^^ is the generally accepted definition by the community as a whole, across just about every therianthropy forum and group on sites. The only thing it leaves out is that therianthropy is limited to earthly animals (animals that exist or have at some point on this earth).

Not that I will stop you from calling yourself what you prefer, but I just thought I should let you know Smile The term theriomythic was used way back when, and some still use it, so I see no reason not to if that's what you like.

And if it interests you at all, here's a link to an older member of the community discussing the evolution of our definitions and how "therianthropy" came to mean what it does.

I wanted to point this out in my reply but I thought it would be considered harassment if I went further in explaining my original point. Good to know you've got my back. Tongue

2017-02-14 14:38
Save
Give Thanks