READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Projection Theory (also explaining all the wolves)
Bagera
Long Licker
Theriotype: Drehgora (alien species)
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team..$team..$team..$team.

RE: Projection Theory (also explaining all the wolves)
It is an interesting theory, but it doesn't really explain my experiences. I've been having them as far back as I can remember. Maybe 2 or 3 years old(so at least 30 years now). It was before any trauma that I had, before I had a care in the world really. I wasn't even in school at that time so it wasn't really about fitting in or feeling weak either.

When I was old enough to go to school and stuff, my animality got me in trouble. I also am an alien species which has no reference to pretty much anything I would have seen or heard of growing up (especially not as a toddler). So it makes me wonder.

Fire tempers steel. Chaos tempers will.
2022-05-05 4:08
Save
Give Thanks
Nightflame
Finding my way through life
Theriotype: Wild Canine/Feline
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological
Contribution:

(2022-05-05 3:09)little wolf Wrote:  I personally know my therianthropy is not a coping mechanism because my trauma happened because of it. Before that, I never had anything particularly bad in my life, and my animal tendencies were still there. My animal behaviors are there in home movies my parents shot before I was fully forming memories (cause I don't remember it). I definitely accept the coping mechanism and other psychological causes as one origin point for therianthropy though, just not in all cases.

Interesting! And you're right, it's definitely not a theory for everyone!

(2022-05-05 3:09)little wolf Wrote:  One theory that could potentially explain my theriantrhopy in psychological terms could be that my parents (to my knowledge) never really tried to "correct" my more animalistic behavior when I was real young. I obviously don't remember that part of my childhood, and I've never really talked to my parents about it, but I have to wonder if maybe because they didn't try to teach me different or maybe even enabled my behavior as parents do with kids, I know have extremely strong animalistic instincts? I still don't know if that totally explains why I first developed animal tendencies in the first place... this is something that kind of just occurred to me, haven't really had much time to think about it, so trying to explain it might not be totally coherent.

That makes a lot of sense. It sounds very likely that that is the/one of the ways your therianthropy developed.

(2022-05-05 3:09)little wolf Wrote:  As far as your theory with the brain subconsciously "choosing" strong animals, I found it super interesting. It's not something that had occurred to me, but does make some sense.

Well, thanks! Glad it made you think and you found it interesting!

Have a good time!

(2022-05-05 4:08)Bagera Wrote:  It is an interesting theory, but it doesn't really explain my experiences. I've been having them as far back as I can remember. Maybe 2 or 3 years old(so at least 30 years now). It was before any trauma that I had, before I had a care in the world really. I wasn't even in school at that time so it wasn't really about fitting in or feeling weak either.

When I was old enough to go to school and stuff, my animality got me in trouble. I also am an alien species which has no reference to pretty much anything I would have seen or heard of growing up (especially not as a toddler). So it makes me wonder.

How interesting! Thanks for sharing your experience!
My theory definitely doesn't explain your experience then. I've found quite some people through this forum, who've told me their story and I noticed that this theory doesn't fit a lot of people. Which is really interesting and I'm happy to have shared it and be able to make this experience and learn more about other people's feelings about this!

Thanks!

Live slow and be gentle
He/Him | INTP
(This post was last modified: 2022-05-05 14:50 by Nightflame.)
2022-05-05 14:46
Save
Give Thanks
Cordyceps Canine
Guarded by Cletus
Theriotype: (Alien?) Pye-dog / Ferret + Cletus
Experience: Therian, (otherkin?)
Contribution: tick tick tick 

Just sharing my own experiences. I am someone who did do exactly that, bad childhood and I couldn't stand myself nor people anymore.

It made me feel better to live in a fantasy world, as some made up fictional creature. I felt stronger, and it got me through life when nothing else did.

It also messed me up at the same time.

I didn't know about therianthropy at the time. And this obviously was coping, even if I would have never admitted it during this time. Wink

I found out about being a therian much later as an adult, and I really struggled with accepting the species and constantly feared that I'm being delusional again.

I've gotten better about it but this required work. I still am not too keen on it.

It also doesn't explain all the stories that exist from my mom and grandma. I've always had a thing for animals instead of people. Even as a toddler. I was always drawn to animals and the other way around. I learned to walk first - then decided all fours is faster.

I played in nature, acted like an animal, or spend time with animals instead of kids. I also hated sweets/artificial foods of any kind for a long time but otherwise was open for anything. This stood out already...

I was often bullied in school for acting like an animal...yet it felt right. And there was no way I was giving it up. Even if that would have made things easier and I knew this much even back then.

For me therianthropy never had any comfort to it so far. I embarrass myself with mental-shifts out of my control. (Even before knowing about it all.)

And I'd say I've been born with the trait. Because of the people who knew me from as young as possible.

[Image: Photo-1676084552894-removebg-preview.png]
I might splinter. But I don't break. ~Dirk Strider
2022-05-05 23:36
Save
Give Thanks
Liatha
Wolf Soul
Theriotype: Wolf
Contribution:

I also thought about such a theory, but in the end it doesn't suit me. I experienced trauma only in later adolescence. But I've felt like a wolf before. That animal chose me, not me his. Anyway... I believe some therians will fit this theory. I have no DID or ADHD or anything like that. But whoever has, this theory could be closer.
2022-05-07 2:58
Save
Give Thanks
Nightflame
Contribution:

Thanks @Cordyceps Canine for sharing your experience! That's a really interesting story!
After reading the replies to this thread, I've realized that this theory which I first believed to work on lots of people, really doesn't ? Glad I shared it to hear other people's stories!
It seems my theory works well for me, but not for many others. That's completely cool with me and I find it interesting to hear about your thoughts!

So thanks, and I hope you'll feel better about all of this and hopefully get along with it. If you ever need to talk, I'm always there for anyone who wants a shoulder to lean on <3

(2022-05-07 2:58)Liatha Wrote:  I also thought about such a theory, but in the end it doesn't suit me. I experienced trauma only in later adolescence. But I've felt like a wolf before. That animal chose me, not me his. Anyway... I believe some therians will fit this theory. I have no DID or ADHD or anything like that. But whoever has, this theory could be closer.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
Apparently man people misunderstood the "choosing an animal" thing. I meant it in a subconscious way. I don't believe it's seeing, say a fox, on TV and saying "that's me now".

I don't know about therians' with DID or ADHD opinions on this theory. I myself don't have either of those and this theory still seems really good for me in explaining why I feel this way.

Anyways, thanks for sharing your experience and have a good daySmile

(This post was last modified: 2022-05-08 7:47 by Nightflame.)
2022-05-08 7:44
Save
Give Thanks
Alone
Away
Membership declined
Theriotype:

I'm a psychological therian and my theriotype isn't used as a power animal nor do I believe that therianthropy is similar to having one. I will point out that a power animal is a thing and is commonly used in spirituality which is essentially what you described. Using the animal to bring the mind, body, and soul, power, for any number of reasons. Not always a coping mechanism but more drawing from the animal to bring the individual strength.

My psychological therianthropy isn't a coping mechanism as I've been aware of being a leopard far before I had a bad life. The leopard is who I am, not a coping mechanism, I don't draw strength from the animal nor do I use it as a power grab. It's just me.

Personally what I believe you descried is more of a coping link than a theriotype.

Jade
(This post was last modified: 2022-05-08 13:37 by Alone.)
2022-05-08 13:35
Save
Give Thanks
Lynx26
Eager beaver
Theriotype: semi-domestic cat
Contribution: tick tick tick 

Not digging too much into the more serious part of this, perhaps this could apply to other types in a similar way? For example, cats because of how free to roam they are despite being domestic, other small animals because of burrows/ being fast/ something that person wants to feel because it would make them safer in their situation
2022-05-10 4:20
Save
Give Thanks
Tdae
visitor
Theriotype: n/a
Experience: Human
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 

I believe there is some truth to this theory but it is more complex. To conceptualize "I am an animal" takes some higher thinking, but I believe therianthropy is first biological/instinctual. It starts in a primitive place of mind/body where there is no concept of "human" or "animal," but only sensations and instincts. Humans and animals share primitive instincts like hunger, attachment and fear. Even plants express these instincts in their way. I assume alien species would too because it's about survival.

Babies are sensitive and they are instinctively learning from their experiences even though it's unconscious. If the baby experiences something that is overwhelmingly distressing or if there is a neurological predisposition, then it could alter the child's instinctive nature. For example hypothetically a baby experiencing pain could alter mind-body connections.

As the child grows they develop higher levels of thinking and creativity which integrates with the instinctive nature. Still unconscious, the creative mind senses the dysphoria and tries to make sense of it somehow. It's like, "My body feels wrong, I feel wrong in the body." This is because of something biological, but the unconscious mind starts to use creative logic to deal with.

The child mind can mimic an animal since we have the same basic instincts. Humans generally connect readily to mammals and especially canines since we are alike. Some children are naturally more animal-like. I also believe in the collective unconscious and maybe even clairvoyance can influence theriotype.

I'm just rambling speculation though. I generally agree with the projection theory except people are so much more complex and variable, and therianthropy usually begins very early in life or before birth.

previously a wolf spirit
2022-05-11 2:02
Save
Give Thanks
Nightflame
Contribution:

(2022-05-10 4:20)Lynx26 Wrote:  Not digging too much into the more serious part of this, perhaps this could apply to other types in a similar way? For example, cats because of how free to roam they are despite being domestic, other small animals because of burrows/ being fast/ something that person wants to feel because it would make them safer in their situation

Yeah, that'S a really good extension!! thanks!

2022-05-11 18:46
Save
Give Thanks
Saoirse Fiain
Fiáin Mac tíre
Theriotype: Werewolf
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
.$team..$team.

I think this theory makes sense. You speak of therianthropy as a defense mechanism of sorts. I sometimes think of my own experience that way. However like @Tdae mentioned, it's most likely more complex than we're catching onto.

[Image: 1nZhgqH.png]
Celtic Werewolf|Watcher of Birds|Signature by @Xulff
◈ The truth is out there ◈
2022-05-12 14:12
Save
Give Thanks