READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

the theory of attachment- my little idea
Leaf_Coneybear
friend of the geese
Theriotype: dragon
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick 

the theory of attachment- my little idea
heyo! this is a theory i had related specifically to how my own therianthropy came about, it's not something i beleive to be the explanation for all therians. however i want to know if anyone else out there feels similar.

as a little kid i was obsessed with dragons. something about dragons just made sense, from the way they behaved and sounded to the way they moved their bodies. it just clicked. i liked to draw dragons and pretend to be a dragon and was a dragon for halloween many times. i used to get in trouble for refuseing to act like a human during school, under the beleif that if i pretended to be a dragon for long enough, people would just have to accept that i was one.

furthermore i liked to get creative with dragons. i played around with the features, takeing insparation from other animals both fictional and real. i liked animals in generall and while other kids in my grade where hooked on disney movies i just couldn't get enough nature documentarys.

as time went on my love for dragons never faded, but my days of acting like one came to an end. i knew my dream of being a dragon would never be realized because i was a human. that couldn't change.

later on however, i began to feel like i was missing some peice of myself. something big and important. i questioned many things, namely gender being one of them. it was easy for me to beleive i was some sort of xenogender, mistaking speceis dysphoria for gender dysphoria and such. i discovered the existance of therianthropy from digging around the xenogender area of the internet. at first i didn't think much of it. my reaction was nothing more than "you do you, it's not for me". mere background noise. but once i considered the possibility it was pretty straightforeword. of course i'd be a dragon. i was always a dragon. this is what i've always wanted was to be able to call myself one of them.

i'm still not sure of the specifics, but i know generally what type i'd be. from the beginning i knew i'd be small. parttially domesticated. no firebreath. as a kid i already knew a lot about how i'd be as a dragon. i think of myself as being like a collage of different features with dragon as the canvas. instead of having lots of different theriotypes, i have borrowed things from lots of different creatures and compiled them into one single animal.

basically, i belive i was so attached to the idea of dragons that i became one. hence the title of this post.

thoughts? has anyone else had an experience something like this?
2023-08-09 13:36
Save
Give Thanks
Lynxed11350
Pup
Theriotype: Eurasian lynx, Cat, Volcanic dragon, Water dragon
Experience: Therian, (otherkin?)

RE: the theory of attachment- my little idea
This is exactly what I experience! I've always loved dragons and cats sense I was little. Eventually I fell in love with Eurasian lynxes, and all the cat behaviors I had as a kid fell into place. My friend and I always pretended to be dragons, to the point of annoying our other friends. So yeah, I understand what you're saying. I've always loved dragons and cats, and now I am two dragons and a cat of sorts lol.

:lynx: Layla • she/they :lynx:

INFP 5w4 549 sx/so Chaotic good
Eurasian lynx, Domestic cat, Black fire-breathing dragon, Water dragon
Heart types in bio :]
2023-08-09 15:35
Save
Give Thanks
EvergreenLion
Pup
Theriotype: Asiatic Lion
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick 

I honestly really like this theory! I'm not sure if it fits my therianthropy but I just think it's a good explanation of how someone could be a therian Smile

"Why do the humans come here, do you suppose?"
"Who knows why humans do anything?"
-Richard Adams, Watership Down
2023-08-10 10:08
Save
Give Thanks
Enerand
Copy cat
Theriotype: Marble fox? And skulldog

It makes sense , I’m still questioning my theriotype so I don’t think this theory fits me but still…. I think it will help a lot of people
2023-08-10 12:28
Save
Give Thanks
Lynxed11350
Pup
Theriotype: Eurasian lynx, Cat, Volcanic dragon, Water dragon

It also probably explains why there are so many wolf therians. Who doesn't like wolves?

:lynx: Layla • she/they :lynx:

INFP 5w4 549 sx/so Chaotic good
Eurasian lynx, Domestic cat, Black fire-breathing dragon, Water dragon
Heart types in bio :]
2023-08-10 14:45
Save
Give Thanks
Greenleaf8
Pup
Theriotype: Montagu's harrier and black wolf
.$team..$team.

I don't know if I completely agree with this. I guess it would be a possibillity because you subconsciously know that you have a deeper connection to that creature but just really loving a specific creature and always pretending to be one doesn't mean that it becomes your theriotype. At least that's how I see it. Of course this could be the case but the shifts are involuntary and uncontrolled unless you supress them. As I said, it might just be that it clicks with someone as you mentioned for yourself but some people probably misidentify themselves as a therian thanks to similar situations by being a hardcore fan of a critter. All I really want to get out is that this could be taken wrongly or something by nontherians who then identify themselves if you understand what I mean.
~Greenleaf

I do not follow in others footsteps. I prefer to make my own.
2023-08-10 15:37
Save
Give Thanks
Tdae
visitor
Theriotype: n/a
Experience: Human
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 

This fits my experience with a unicorn which I feel is like a kith type rather than theriotype. I loved unicorns and pretended to be one as a child. As an adult I have experienced occasional unicorn shifts which seem to be controlled semi-consciously. It has the feeling of a child playing pretend, as if a child inside is causing phantom sensations but I'm not controlling it consciously.

previously a wolf spirit
2023-08-11 0:14
Save
Give Thanks
Saigewingzz
Fly on the wall
Theriotype: Lesser long-nosed bat & more
Experience: (therian?)
Contribution:

It feels like I'm reading my own notes! My history with dragons is a lot like yours, especially the part with mixing all my favorite animalistic traits into a dragon form. Idk if that's the main reason why I'm partially a dragon therian but I can see that helping others, definitely explains why there are so many wolf and cat therians, they are well-known and easy to attach to.
2023-08-11 1:41
Save
Give Thanks
Siris
Shaker of stick
Theriotype: Kitsune
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
.$team.

I think this comes down to which theory of the nature of therianthropy people ascribe to. The psycological I believe would agree with you the sprital/metaphysical ones might tell you it's the other way around, your obsessions was your therianthropy manifesting itself. For me I find this interesting to think about because given where in my journy of therianthropy I were asked about this you would get some widely differing answers and really would have fallen on either side of the previously mentioned divide.
2023-08-11 10:38
Save
Give Thanks