READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Why therianthropy should be divorced from Alt-H and possibly "otherkin" - "identity"?
Vintage
Sword with a 'Z'
Theriotype: Wolf, Zhuard...horse & crow kith
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team.

RE: Why therianthropy should be divorced from Alt-H and possibly "otherkin" - "identity"?
@LycanTheory

Yes...
I think the main problem is although otherkin is an umbrella,imo, otherkin originally meant non-earthly animal or sapient being. This was your dragons, unicorns and elves,etc. This original group still exists, but fictionkin for example, is now it's own thing/experience due to the original otherkin wanting to make that distinction. There exists distinctions and they do need to be made much clearer.

The alt-H community as elinox said isn't really taken seriously by true (the original and serious) otherkin. I have seen it on the forum I am in (which is why fictionkin and such have their own subforums). That forum may get a bad rap from here, but there are many otherkin that are mature and look at these alt-human teens with skepticism. They are grilled or questioned, and advised if they are in the wrong place. There are well meaning otherkin out there but even they are drawing a line. I cannot speak for amino or tumblr however.

_
-
**Timber wolf therian-- Zhuard-- horse/crow hearted**

*~Being kin is a journey. See through the challenges and speak on the revelations.*

-Deviantart/Tumblr: Thebridgebeyond-
(This post was last modified: 2020-10-01 23:04 by Vintage.)
2020-10-01 23:02
Save
Give Thanks
Exodus
Vulpes katanis
Theriotype: something
Contribution: silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team.

RE: Why therianthropy should be divorced from Alt-H and possibly "otherkin" - "identity"?
these types of articles always feel insulting I've never felt like this was some escape or a virtual life to live its been a very integral part of me and to try and suppress it is comparable to cutting off ones own arm... I wonder how many people actually understand just how deeply woven the spirit is with our daily lives sometimes.
2020-10-02 22:23
Save
Give Thanks
Stavinair
Banned
Theriotype: Dragon

Never even heard of alterhuman until now.
2020-10-03 15:40
Save
Give Thanks
Emi
professor pandora
Theriotype: ikran, iguana, predacon
Experience: Therian, (otherkin?)
Contribution: tick 
.$team.

RE: Why therianthropy should be divorced from Alt-H and possibly "otherkin" ...
The whole 'alterhuman' movement feels like it has become an 'everyone is valid and welcome' movement more than one that provides for our communities. At first it seemed a useful term for those who had overlapping experiences but now? Seeing that basically anything can be classed as 'alt-h', why use the term at all?

I also don't agree with the selection of communities that are being sucked under the label. This whole idea of 'you are alth if you call yourself alth' reduces the concepts of otherkinity and the like to stickers we can choose to slap on our chest.

With my somewhat limited experience in the therian community I feel like separation from Alt-H would be very beneficial, especially for new folks who may be confused by the ideas given off by Alt-H. Let them experience grilling, show them history, let them see what animality is like.

As for otherkin.. a separation feels logical. There are such distinct vibes between our communities that it seems odd to constantly define therianthropy as a 'subgroup of otherkinity'. Kinda erases the history and development of weres as their own group, I find.

But I am just a lizard with more experience in the youth spots like Instagram and Amino, so not sure if what I feel is considered the norm or not Tongue

[Image: symbolsmall.png]
oeyƤ vitra za'u ftu eyweveng
pfp by hemlock
2020-10-06 11:57
Save
Give Thanks
BearX
Therian Guide Staff
Prepping to Hibernate
Theriotype: Coastal Brown Bear
Experience: Therian
tick 
.$team.

(2020-10-06 11:57)Emi Wrote:  ...youth spots like Instagram and Amino, so not sure if what I feel is considered the norm or not Tongue

What you feel is certainly the norm among the older crowd, at least those of us who started in the therian community. Due to the nature of it, most folks who started in the otherkin community feel therians are otherkin, where most folks who started in the therian community would suggest they aren't.

At this point, I believe they are different, but which group one chooses to be in (or both) is ultimately up to the individual. I think the use as an umbrella term, including therians, should be dissolved. Therianthropy has historically been about experiences that led one to feel they were an animal. Animalistic experiences.

[Image: bexarp.jpg]
TG Staff | Forum Admin
(Signature cobbled together by Me)
2020-10-06 12:36
Save
Give Thanks
runaway..maka
Campfire Guitar Guy
Theriotype: Canine, Northern Bobcat
Contribution: tick tick 
.$team.

I agree for the most part, i just dont really understand alt-h

not online much so if its urgent, please message my discord cheesus#8573

therian-guide's official campfire guitar guy
2020-10-06 13:01
Save
Give Thanks
Alliana
Aloof werewolf
Theriotype: werewolf/jaguar
tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team..$team..$team.

(2020-10-06 11:57)Emi Wrote:  As for otherkin.. a separation feels logical. There are such distinct vibes between our communities that it seems odd to constantly define therianthropy as a 'subgroup of otherkinity'. Kinda erases the history and development of weres as their own group, I find.

But I am just a lizard with more experience in the youth spots like Instagram and Amino, so not sure if what I feel is considered the norm or not Tongue

I agree with this, especially how otherkin and therian should be separated. It might be confirmation bias but I just feel like that there shouldn't be an umbrella term for either one of them, you know? Each of them have their own definitions (I believe in the whole otherkin = sapience and therian = animality) and as such should be regarded separately.

Avatar comes from my good friend Yvvki outside of TG. Smile Thank you so much for doing it!
2020-10-06 16:24
Save
Give Thanks