READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Therianthropy vs Otherkin
Baumarius
Composing Wolf
Theriotype: Wolf, Phoenix
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: silvertick 

RE: Therianthropy vs Otherkin

(2020-04-30 16:16)LycanTheory Wrote:  I've been thinking about this thread and one of the questions that comes to mind is "why is this stuff so important?"

Of course, the answer is going to vary widely I assume.

But why is is so important and in what context?

Why have we all devoted paragraphs, words, thought and time into focusing on the differences and similarities between therians and otherkin?

Every time this topic comes up, so does the question and I've yet to really find what suits me as an answer.

Lyc

I've been speaking to Dire about this thread, and I've been thinking... When I strip these two ideas down to their core, I see two main factors that comprise them. 1) We have experiences, and 2) we interpret those experiences to be non-human in some way. These core ideas are what I believe should be simplified to "alt-human" to avoid further confusion. Let me explain.

The first point is that we have experiences that we may interpret to mean that we are not human or have non-human traits, be they shifts, dreams, or the general animalistic behaviors or feelings that many of us have. This point does not include what we do with that information - only the experiences and behaviors themselves. Anyone claiming to be alt-human would have these traits.

The second point is that we interpret our experiences to mean that we are non-human or have non-human traits. We can decide whether or not to integrate them into our identity, though for many of us, this is a subconscious process that takes time and often happens throughout our childhood and adolescent years. This begins upon the realization that we are still in a human body, and that we are different from most other humans because of this. How this is applied to one's life is different for everyone (like whether or not species dysphoria becomes a byproduct of this), and how it happens is irrelevant to one's own legitimacy. How one imagines a reason for it, be it spiritual or scientific, is also irrelevant. More importantly, we should be able to discuss what this means to each of us without going to war about it - I think we can all agree that that was the original goal of the various communities that have sprung up over the years.

Now, the first building block of alt-humanity can exist without the second, but the second cannot exist without the first. Dire, who practices shamanic shapeshifting in trance, explained it simply: she can feel like any animal or creature in trance if she wants to, but that doesn't necessarily mean that she identifies as these animals. I may behave like a wolf, but that does not necessarily mean that I realize it when it happens. Therefore, the first factor is just our raw experience. Everyone who identifies as either therian or otherkin has raw experiences such as these, even if it's just a faint emotional connection to an animal. None of us are here without reason, and all of us are searching for meaning in our lives. Under Dust's suggestion, this "reason" would be called therianthropy (akin more to a state of being that is based in senses, emotion, and instinct), and this "meaning" would be considered otherkin (an interpretation of one's state of being). But, I believe that trying to re-sculpt old terminology may step on some people's toes and ultimately drive an even greater rift between our communities. Instead, I propose that we define both of these experiences as being the traits of an "alt-human." It may be an unwieldy term to some, and some of us may still be fond of the terms "therianthropy" and "otherkin", but I think that simplifying our experiences in this way is a worthy compromise.

In doing this, I believe we'd have a much gentler, non-stigmatized term that is free of any scientific or spiritual bias, which we can then use to foster a community that encourages the sharing of experiences without fear of outright rejection, even if some of us are really strange. That's what most of us want anyway, aside from actually becoming what we feel we are inside. And for now, that's all this has to be.

(This post was last modified: 2020-05-01 7:31 by Baumarius.)
2020-05-01 7:04
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Support pup
Theriotype: Arabian Wolf
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick 
.$team.

(2020-05-01 7:04)Baumarius Wrote:  We can decide whether or not to integrate them into our identity,

The fault in your line of reasoning is here. Identifying is not an activity. Experiencing different things and then picking and choosing which will become part of your online persona is not how identity works. Identity is what you are underneath it all.

(2020-05-01 7:04)Baumarius Wrote:  More importantly, we should be able to discuss what this means to each of us without going to war about it - I think we can all agree that that was the original goal of the various communities that have sprung up over the years.

(2020-05-01 7:04)Baumarius Wrote:  But, I believe that trying to re-sculpt old terminology may step on some people's toes and ultimately drive an even greater rift between our communities. Instead, I propose that we define both of these experiences as being the traits of an "alt-human." It may be an unwieldy term to some, and some of us may still be fond of the terms "therianthropy" and "otherkin", but I think that simplifying our experiences in this way is a worthy compromise.

Something I was saying in my post, which you might have missed is that we stop thinking of Therianthropy as a camp. We stop thinking about it as a community or tribe one can belong to (either/or to the exclusion of other communities). That we stop thinking of it as something we can go to war over.

My suggestion was to think of Therianthropy as a label for people with Therian experiences. All people with Therian experiences.

I believe our past disputes have been a result of our inability to communicate this. We were talking about what is or is not Therianthropy, because we were trying to surround ourselves by people who understand and share our Therian experiences, so that we could talk to them about said experiences.

If all you have is just a big bucket of everyone from Fictionkin to LGBT+ and it's all considered to be basically the same thing (like for example on Tumblr, with "Kinnies"), you can't really talk to anyone about your Therian experiences, because most people in it, won't really understand you. This is the reason we form online communities in the first place, to be able to talk to other people who experience the same thing.

The useful value for umbrellas like Alt+H, is that sometimes(!) you do need a term to combine all of us and what Alt+H did for us is acknowledged that each experience is it's own thing. The very thing that you are not doing by calling Therian experiences Alter-human experiences.

There is nothing wrong with our terminology, just with how we think about it.

LP,
Dusty

If you think I'm wrong just say so. Let's talk about it.
Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
(This post was last modified: 2020-05-01 11:11 by DustWolf.)
2020-05-01 10:58
Save
Give Thanks
Bagera
Long Licker
Theriotype: Drehgora (alien species)
Contribution: tick tick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team..$team..$team..$team.

I don't think it's being implied that everyone under the sun be included under the umbrella though. You're seeking to fix the definitions to basically identity, vs experience, and we're attempting to say that nearly every otherkin falls under your proposed therian definition.
The current, widely accepted definitions of therians being known earth animals, and otherkin being non earth, cryptid, or mythical non humans, doesn't make it messy like this.
The factor of experience still plays a crucial role in both.
As Bau touched upon, if we had the definition that everyone that has non human experiences is a therian, then by that definition, I would have a potentially infinite number of theriotypes because of my shamanic practice. I can have that animality, and have shifts of pretty much any animal using this practice. I do not have the personal identity of any creature I shift into in this way.

Alternate to that, from what I've seen of many other therians, the act of being is the identity. Humans have self awareness, so it is highly improbable that such experiences would not be incorporated into personal identity. And note that I say personal identity. I see a lot of talk here about social or internet identity and I know for a fact that this is not what I, Bau, or people like Atlantis are talking about.
I also saw being said that a wolf doesn't think it's a wolf, it just is. We can't say in absolutes the extent of this, because they aren't able to communicate with us, but there are several animals that possess theory of the mind. We can assume, due to scientific information currently available to us, that many of those animals have some sense of identity. Dogs for example are aware that humans and other animals are not dogs, and are different from themselves. This would imply that a dog has some idea of what a dog is. It may lack the complexity of thought to know exactly what a dog is, and it can't say "I'm a dog", but it knows that it is unique to other non dogs. To say an animal can't have an identity is false when you take this information into account (though obviously, it's not going to be as complex as human identity).
All legitimate therians and otherkin that I have seen, deduce that they are therian or otherkin because of their personal experiences, and that in turn is a naturally ingrained part of their identity.
So again, to imply that the groups are different just because of experience vs identity is pointless, because it just isn't that way. We're either all therians and otherkin (by the proposed definitions), or you need to think of a better way to classify it. People who have no experiences at all, be they animality, shifts, identity, etc, don't really belong in either community. They're just people who are roleplaying at that point (which is sadly a lot of tumblr folks and such), or are deluded by wishful thinking.

Fire tempers steel. Chaos tempers will.
(This post was last modified: 2020-05-01 14:15 by Bagera.)
2020-05-01 13:52
Save
Give Thanks
Alliana
Aloof werewolf
Theriotype: werewolf/jaguar
tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team..$team..$team.

I have no problem being referred to as an alterhuman, just wanted to throw that in there. But if not, then yeah, I am a therian with wolf experiences/shifts.

Avatar comes from my good friend Yvvki outside of TG. Smile Thank you so much for doing it!
2020-05-01 20:40
Save
Give Thanks
elicat
Therian Guide Staff
anam fallain
Theriotype: Cat
tick tick tick tick 
.$team.

I figured this thread was coming, given how this has been a hot topic on TG in recent weeks.
I’ll try to be as diplomatic as I can, but honestly, I am sick to death of this discussion. I was heavily involved in the otherkin community for many years, and I saw plenty of evidence that provides evidence for the below.

I strongly disagree with the separation of therians and otherkin. The simple fact of the matter is, therians ARE a subtype of otherkin. They always have been, just from a simple definition perspective. While the two are different, they're still similar.

The simplest definition of otherkin is this:

Otherkin – An umbrella term that encompasses the belief that all or part of the personal identity is something other than human. This has been explained by mental wiring, past life memories, spirituality, etc. There are subgroups under this including, but not limited to, therianthropes, angelics/celestials, demons, vampires, fae, elves, dragons or walk-ins/multiples.

That being said, many of these subgroups have their own communities that grew up independently from one another. Therianthropy seems to be one of the larger groups. It is also the group most vocal about NOT being otherkin.

This comes down to the fact that early on with these online communities, many in the therian community did not want to be associated with a group of non-earthly animals or creatures. Many of the other subsets under the otherkin umbrella were seen as less “real” than therians because they identified as fictional or mythological beings. There’s no proof that elves or unicorns exist in this reality, so those who identify as them are somehow less valid than someone who identifies with an animal you can see and learn about like an eagle or a lion. It's easier to accept that you're a recognizable animal you're familiar with than an alien from another planet.

I have been a part of both therian and otherkin groups for many years. In all that I’ve seen, the experiences are very similar. Not identical, obviously, but then neither are my experiences as a wolf therian the same as another wolf therian's. But there is enough overlap that grouping them together not only makes sense semantically, but is just pure, simple fact. If you identify as something other than human, then you’re otherkin.

”DustWolf” Wrote:If there are as you say "otherkin who experience shifts for instance who I don't think anyone would classify as therian", who are these people (example, please) and why wouldn't we consider them therians, if they experience shifts as we do?

Here’s a good example: I knew someone who identified as a chaotic being, a demon, in her words. And, to the best of her knowledge, she experienced what therians would call shifts; she would have mental shifts into a more chaotic mindset, and she experienced phantom limbs. Her experiences, from what she shared, were indistinguishable from someone who identified as an animal. The only difference is that demons don’t exist in this reality, whereas animals do.

I can try to dig through my memories for more examples, because unfortunately, there really aren't a lot of reputable strictly otherkin communities around anymore for you to simply ask there. Granted, not all who are otherkin experience things like how therians claim to. However, in my years of experience, there is enough of a correlation to easily see the two communities are linked and share similar experiences.

”DustWolf’ Wrote:And if you need an umbrella term, call us Alterhuman (Alt+H).

Accept that there’s already an umbrella term, and it’s "otherkin". Alterhuman 1. Makes us all sound like we’re robots and 2. Is a secondary term that’s redundant since that’s what Otherkin is for and always has been. Keep in mind, alterhuman also includes people who feel connected to inanimate objects, concepts, etc. In my mind, those are not otherkin. So I suppose otherkin would be closer to living/alive creatures and animals whereas alterhuman would be for things. And the difference in experiences between those two groups is much larger than someone who identifies as a fairy and someone who identifies as a rabbit.

Every time this topic comes up, there are many therians who vehemently argue that therians are not otherkin. Yet they never say WHY. And I think it comes down to simple ‘us vs. them’ mentality. It’s much more realistic to claim to be a real, living, breathing earth animal and much harder to believe if you claim to be an angel.

Here’s the bottom line: neither therians or otherkin can prove what they are 100% either way. And while there are otherkin who only cling to the identity part of the label, there are others who experience shifting, phantom limbs, etc. just the same as many therians do.

In my experiences, many of the otherkin I've met are no different in their experiences than things therians go through. Sort of like how lemons and oranges are both fruit. Both are fruit, but slightly different. There are some differences, obviously, but not enough to separate the two groups.

Yes the therian and otherkin online communities grew up separate from each other, but the definition is clear and obvious. Therians are a type of otherkin and always have been.

[Image: YJKCUsm.png]

cat | 42 | writer & published author | scuba diver | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | INFJ | eclectic Wiccan witch
2020-05-01 23:43
Save
Give Thanks
PinkDolphin
Away
Dogolphin (PD)
Theriotype: swiss white shepherd, Pink River Dolphin
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 
silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team.

It's past 3AM here, take what I say with a grain of salt. If I sound emotionless, snappy or rude, it's just me being tired (physically).

(2020-05-01 23:43)elinox Wrote:  This comes down to the fact that early on with these online communities, many in the therian community did not want to be associated with a group of non-earthly animals or creatures. Many of the other subsets under the otherkin umbrella were seen as less “real” than therians because they identified as fictional or mythological beings. There’s no proof that elves or unicorns exist in this reality, so those who identify as them are somehow less valid than someone who identifies with an animal you can see and learn about like an eagle or a lion. It's easier to accept that you're a recognizable animal you're familiar with than an alien from another planet.

While I understand what you try to say. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. This is a New thing.
Up until 213/2015 ish (mind: the first 22 years!) any animalistic, instinct-driven 'animal' was seen as therian. Not 'earthen' or 'non-earthen' terms that make equally less sense than dividing fat from skinny or blonde from brown haired transgenders. Because the shape does not influence the experience, so should not be a factor to seperate two people, communities or experiences.

So 1992/3 - 2015ish (mind: the first 22 years!) any dragon, werewolf, .. was deemed therian. If animalistic and instinct driven. Look up the surveys of AHWW in 1995 & 1996: the second highest percentage of members is dragons. And we cannot deny the wendigos and I think gryphon? Or well.. the other non-earthen creatures on there.

I personally know Many therians from TG, amino, instagram, facebook, kinmunity (tho I no longer associate with that place) etc who personally opt for the instinct & animalisticness definition again and basicly spit at the earthen-crap (sorry for my language, it just makes no sense to me)

(2020-05-01 23:43)elinox Wrote:  I have been a part of both therian and otherkin groups for many years. In all that I’ve seen, the experiences are very similar. Not identical, obviously, but then neither are my experiences as a wolf therian the same as another wolf therian's. But there is enough overlap that grouping them together not only makes sense semantically, but is just pure, simple fact. If you identify as something other than human, then you’re otherkin.

Kith-experiences are often very simular to therian experiences. A lot of kiths have frequent cameo shifts from their kithtype. And s you said, some otherkin explain their otherkinity through a spirituality, connection, relation, bond etc. Not that different from Kith.
But does that make therian the umbrella term of Kith? Hmmm, no?

Some fictionkin identify as animalistic characters. The experiences are often the same as a therian. Simular experiences, simular kintypes.. Does that make fictionkin an umbrella term of therian? Hmm, no?

Lumping experiences together into a big ball just because they overlap and are simular, or because you can somewhat recognize the one in the other, does not seem the appropiate thing to do.

I wonder truely why otherkin Has to be an umbrella term. When there is no need for it really. Both are simular, live as much in harmony and connected as Kith and otherkin, copinglinkers and therians, fictionkin and theriomythics etc etc.

Do we also have to come up with an umbrella term for all canine-kin weither therian, fictionkin or otherkin just because WE CAN? Because the experieces are heavily simular? Werewolves, direwolf-fictionkin and dog therians! Let's unite and call us C-Kin! .. is what I mean to say. (obviously, a joke)

(2020-05-01 23:43)elinox Wrote:  Here’s a good example: I knew someone who identified as a chaotic being, a demon, in her words. And, to the best of her knowledge, she experienced what therians would call shifts; she would have mental shifts into a more chaotic mindset, and she experienced phantom limbs. Her experiences, from what she shared, were indistinguishable from someone who identified as an animal. The only difference is that demons don’t exist in this reality, whereas animals do.

So you.. mean a therian?
I mean, his experiences aka shifts are animalistic, wild, feral, instinct-driven and not controlled by a source of magic, myth, human like conciousness like talking etc?
That's a therian, by the first 22 years of the community.

Unless if he prefers to call himself a theriomythic.. ofcourse.. the term created by the dragons etc to escape from being pushed out of the therian community and into otherkin terms they didn't feel fit them.. in 2013-2015? Because suddenly therians were earthen-only?

Or if he really feels it fits him best, then he is free to call himself an otherkin! His choice.

My point is: let the experience decide. His experience is what in 1993 would have driven a werewolf, wendigo or dragon to AHWW instead of any otherkin platform there existed. Because they related more with the animalisticness.

What Has to be different nowedays?

Quote:

”DustWolf’ Wrote:And if you need an umbrella term, call us Alterhuman (Alt+H).

Accept that there’s already an umbrella term, and it’s "otherkin".

Which is highly highly confusing because whenever used no one knows if it is meant as umbrella term or 'non-earthen'/non-animalistic creature. It's not logical to have 1 term have 2 definitions.. I know of many new members who get very confused about this.

Quote:Alterhuman 1. Makes us all sound like we’re robots and

That is a personal association you ty with it. Well taken out of context: 'other than human', doesn't mean 'robot' unless if you associate it personally with it or wants it to sound that way.
And to be fair, I've personally after using that word since 2018 and disucssing it many times Never heard that complaint, issue or statement before.

I did hear issues with the word 'human', for some who find it weird to call themselves that word. But nothing related to objects or robots.

Quote:Keep in mind, alterhuman also includes people who feel connected to inanimate objects, concepts, etc. In my mind, those are not otherkin. So I suppose otherkin would be closer to living/alive creatures and animals whereas alterhuman would be for things. And the difference in experiences between those two groups is much larger than someone who identifies as a fairy and someone who identifies as a rabbit.

1. I'd say my experience as a dog is about the complete opposite than the experience of a fairy, mermaid or elf. I'd honestly compare it more to the experience of a plant or a toaster if I'd have to choose. Because those can't think, and react out of instinct (plant). Which is about what I experiene with a dog mindset. Not words, magic and human like thoughts. So I'd oppose that (some) therians are more related to the experiences of plants or objects than any otherkin that deems himself a human-like creature.. as we are about the opposite of it.. (nothing wrong with mermaids etc tho)

2. Alterhuman is not for concepts etc. or well, mostly not. It's also for therians, otherkin, fictionkin, modern vampires, furries who feels it fits them, some systems, soulbonders, daemons, Kith, copinglinkers etc.. you can find like a 20-long list on therian wiki if you'd like to look into what 'altherhuman' actually means and was created for.

The whole point of it, is being much more inclusive than otherkin just wanting to claim therian (basicly) but leaving ANY other simular experience (copinglink, kith, modern vampires, u name it) aside.

It's a more free and inclusive term that sounds like the best and most peacefull option to me.
And if you don't like the sound of it: either get over your personal association with it, or make a suggestion for an alternative sound (I heard 'alterkin' by example once being used or 'alterhumanity' or anything you feel gives less of a 'robot vibe').

We are still a community of discussion. Want anther term? great! Suggest.
But having one term have 2 definitions. While excluding a whole lot of other non-human experiences but for some (sometimes obsessive-looking) reason hunting to claim therians within your term..

Quote:Every time this topic comes up, there are many therians who vehemently argue that therians are not otherkin. Yet they never say WHY. And I think it comes down to simple ‘us vs. them’ mentality. It’s much more realistic to claim to be a real, living, breathing earth animal and much harder to believe if you claim to be an angel.

Seen I consider any dragon, gryphon, unicorn, etc a therian (unless if they prefer to be called otherwise by individual choice) I can proof to you that earthen vs non-earthen or 'u can't proof urselves' b*llsh*t has nothing to do with it for me.

So let me give my reason as simple as I can put it:
Therians experience a certain animalisticness, that otherkin do not.
Never did, never were meant to include.

We are about the exact opposite, again, as any mermaid or elf like creature. A dragon with a concious mind that can think straight, form words, use magic. We are about the exact opposite.

There are several more factors like the 'reasons' or 'causes' or 'believes' that make one an otherkin, that are not always deemed to make one a therian. The histroy behind the communities. The unnecessarity of combinging the communities. (tho I don't see recognizing two communities as different yet related, as a seperation. see it like how there are kith in the therian community and many have shifts and therian experiences. But therianthropy is not the umbrella term of kith. But the two still go together in harmony.)

I could probably list more reasons but it is 4am now so I think I better sleep before I regret writing more.

Quote:In my experiences, many of the otherkin I've met are no different in their experiences than things therians go through.

So again.. you mean therians? (or theriomythics if they prefer)

Quote:Sort of like how lemons and oranges are both fruit. Both are fruit, but slightly different. There are some differences, obviously, but not enough to separate the two groups.

I'd personally prefer to say they're like fruit and vegetables. Both are eatable, often taste about the same, are prepared often in simular ways and eaten by the same persons. They even may have simular shapes and colours. But they're different things.

Within both, you have different fruit. And different vegetables. (aka gryphons and elves in fruit aka otherkin, and wolves and instinct-dragons or rabbits and coyotes in vegetables aka therians)

I wouldn't start calling an apple a vegetable or a carrot a fruit.. Biologists will likely disagree that their core is not quiet the same. Even if they look simular.

But, that may be our personal ways of viewing experiences Wink And maybe they're So mixed, it's just a big smoothie and trying to put everything in boxes like this just ins't realistic..

maybe even more of a reason to just let people chose and be whatever they feel is right. Rather than removing the options and lumping all boxes together into one big box that no one can truely associate with?

Quote:Therians are a type of otherkin and always have been.

*therians haven't been a type of otherkin for the first 22 years of this community until some person thought to know better in 2015 and changed everytthing around

Goodnight, hopefully I didn't come of attack. I rather mean to be straight forward than attacking. I mean well, and this is my Personal take on the discussion. Disagreement is normal.

WOOF!
PD

[Image: mee_lil.png]
WOOF!
PD
(This post was last modified: 2020-05-02 2:02 by PinkDolphin.)
2020-05-02 1:49
Save
Give Thanks
Tdae
visitor
Theriotype: n/a
Experience: Human

(2020-05-01 13:52)Dire of Red Maned Wrote:  I don't think it's being implied that everyone under the sun be included under the umbrella though. You're seeking to fix the definitions to basically identity, vs experience, and we're attempting to say that nearly every otherkin falls under your proposed therian definition.
The current, widely accepted definitions of therians being known earth animals, and otherkin being non earth, cryptid, or mythical non humans, doesn't make it messy like this.
The factor of experience still plays a crucial role in both.
As Bau touched upon, if we had the definition that everyone that has non human experiences is a therian, then by that definition, I would have a potentially infinite number of theriotypes because of my shamanic practice. I can have that animality, and have shifts of pretty much any animal using this practice. I do not have the personal identity of any creature I shift into in this way.

Alternate to that, from what I've seen of many other therians, the act of being is the identity. Humans have self awareness, so it is highly improbable that such experiences would not be incorporated into personal identity. And note that I say personal identity. I see a lot of talk here about social or internet identity and I know for a fact that this is not what I, Bau, or people like Atlantis are talking about.
I also saw being said that a wolf doesn't think it's a wolf, it just is. We can't say in absolutes the extent of this, because they aren't able to communicate with us, but there are several animals that possess theory of the mind. We can assume, due to scientific information currently available to us, that many of those animals have some sense of identity. Dogs for example are aware that humans and other animals are not dogs, and are different from themselves. This would imply that a dog has some idea of what a dog is. It may lack the complexity of thought to know exactly what a dog is, and it can't say "I'm a dog", but it knows that it is unique to other non dogs. To say an animal can't have an identity is false when you take this information into account (though obviously, it's not going to be as complex as human identity).
All legitimate therians and otherkin that I have seen, deduce that they are therian or otherkin because of their personal experiences, and that in turn is a naturally ingrained part of their identity.
So again, to imply that the groups are different just because of experience vs identity is pointless, because it just isn't that way. We're either all therians and otherkin (by the proposed definitions), or you need to think of a better way to classify it. People who have no experiences at all, be they animality, shifts, identity, etc, don't really belong in either community. They're just people who are roleplaying at that point (which is sadly a lot of tumblr folks and such), or are deluded by wishful thinking.

I'm glad you mentioned shamanic practice. Therianthropy and shamanism are different even though both can experience shifting and animality. A therian identifies the animal with self, whereas a shaman identifies the animal with other.

Therian and otherkin are different, but it's not as clear why since both have to do with self-concept. I don't know if categorization by species is exactly the best way to understand either. It's correlated but it's not an exact correlation. Some people have characteristics of both. Some otherkin could be instinctive more like therians, and some therians could be identity-oriented more like otherkin.

previously a wolf spirit
2020-05-02 2:10
Save
Give Thanks
LycanTheory
Banned
Theriotype:
Experience: Human
tick tick tick 

There's way too much in this thread for me to touch on everything but one thing I would like to note is that I suspect the older, more serious otherkin have vanished into hiding largely due to the likes of how they have been depicted by the likes of Tumblr and some of the more flamboyant and eccentric individuals out there.

I don't blame them a damn bit. I'd never refer to myself as a therian or speak of my experiences again if therianthropy winds up being as bastardized as otherkin has been.

I know from experience that the dragonkin/draconity community (although it is somewhat another seperate branch) is one such community where can be found real and very serious experiences that are near identical to the therian experience yet are not of an earthen animal that is currently accepted to have existed.

Likewise, I suspect the bastardization of otherkin by Tumblr, YouTube and other social media clowns is the primary reason most of the "we are not otherkin" rhetoric can be found in the therian community although, as can be evidenced here, some is just a push for clarity.

What I wonder is just where and how things went south for otherkin and what therians can do, perhaps, to prevent or somehow mitigate the same thing from happening.

Lyc
(This post was last modified: 2020-05-02 8:01 by LycanTheory.)
2020-05-02 7:59
Save
Give Thanks
Ræven
Storm Caller
Theriotype: Avaskish Shapechanger
Contribution: tick tick tick 
silvertick 

(2020-05-02 7:59)LycanTheory Wrote:  I suspect the older, more serious otherkin have vanished into hiding

I suspect the bastardization of otherkin by Tumblr, YouTube and other social media clowns is the primary reason most of the "we are not otherkin" rhetoric can be found in the therian community although, as can be evidenced here, some is just a push for clarity.

What I wonder is just where and how things went south for otherkin and what therians can do, perhaps, to prevent or somehow mitigate the same thing from happening.
Lyc

I agree with this 100 percent. I have personally witnessed pretty much the last of the serious otherkin disappear. The otherkin who are exclusively so without being part of fictionkin culture and tumblrized "kinnie" culture. It's definitely a sad thing for me.

There often is a lot of therian elitism behind the "therian aren't otherkin" movement, perhaps in part driven by the desire to jump off what is clearly a sinking ship.
I'm not really sure what happened to the otherkin community, except that I am seeing the same thing start to gain traction within the therian community now too. Not so much here, this place is kinda like a last harbor from the dumpster fire the community is slowly becoming. If you go on other places though, you'll see it. On TikTok for example (yet another place mostly filled with young people) there's a growing group who thinks doing quadrobics somehow makes them therian.

This is kinda a depressing thought, but I don't think it's something that can really be prevented at this point. Nobody can stop them from saying they're otherkin/therian and spreading their misinformation. It's just something that's slowly happening. As much as we try to redefine stuff in an attempt to do so people just don't seem to care.

—the storm calls me—
[Image: export202112302330409710.png]
sky child * sun lover
2020-05-02 8:22
Save
Give Thanks
PinkDolphin
Away
Dogolphin (PD)
Theriotype: swiss white shepherd, Pink River Dolphin
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 
silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team.

Fun thought with reading the replies above me:

I know more 'otherkin' who are solely active and connecting/relating with the therian community.
(because they feel the animalitiy or 'down to earth' things are closer to their experience)
Than I know of therians who are in the otherkin communities.

Definitions aside, there are more otherkin in therian than therian in otherkin.
To put it way too simplified.

That is, seen to the actual physical division rather than what we all in our head come up with based on words

just food for thought.

[Image: mee_lil.png]
WOOF!
PD
2020-05-02 15:29
Save
Give Thanks