READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Therian/Otherkin Terms
Future
the fog comes on little cat feet
Theriotype: Domestic black cat (Bombay)
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick tick 

RE: Therian/Otherkin Terms

(2018-12-03 0:20)Moon-Moon Wrote:  

(2018-12-02 22:48)Ora Wrote:  

(2018-12-02 13:43)Shattered Chaos Wrote:  Soulbond: A contact that has been established through the mind to another being, enabling the two or more to communicate. Usually across universes/dimensions.

I'm curious about this. Has anyone here experienced it?

The closest I've been to this experience is vividly seeing alternative situations occurring, ranging from a fortunate situation to my own death. I dunno if this counts but the images are so vivid I can't always tell if they're real or not.

As far as I've heard, that has nothing to do with soulbonding. Soulbonding specifically is a connection to a being in another dimension; very frequently a fictional character or other such beings. This enables the bonder and the bonded to speak in their head, and sometimes share their eyes and body to teach each other about their worlds. (The teaching is optional. Just something I've seen spoken about.)

2018-12-03 11:47
Save
Give Thanks
elicat
Therian Guide Staff
Member is Online
anam fallain
Theriotype: Cat
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick tick tick tick 
.$team.

Very nice!

A few points though. Some of us do not agree with the "alterhuman" terminology. It seemed to gain use on Tumblr, I think? So maybe add a caveat that it's the newer term for simply "otherkin"? That said, otherkin is also the umbrella term that includes therians. Wink

Otherhearted - mention that the term can also be called 'kith'.

I would probably include phantom limbs as it's own definition since it's not the same as phantom shifting. Some people experience phantom limbs that are constant, or near-constant, hence no shifting occurs.

Sensory shifting is also called perception shifting.

How is a spiritual shift different than an aural or mental shift?

[Image: YJKCUsm.png]

cat | 42 | writer & published author | scuba diver | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | INFJ | eclectic Wiccan witch
2018-12-03 15:41
Save
Give Thanks
Future
the fog comes on little cat feet
Theriotype: Domestic black cat (Bombay)

(2018-12-03 15:41)elinox Wrote:  A few points though. Some of us do not agree with the "alterhuman" terminology. It seemed to gain use on Tumblr, I think? So maybe add a caveat that it's the newer term for simply "otherkin"? That said, otherkin is also the umbrella term that includes therians. Wink

I'd just like to add that it's not just a newer term for otherkin, but a much more massive umbrella that includes all those who have experiences outside the human ordinary, given that it includes systems and otherhearted beings as well. It may (or may not) be worth adding the Tumblr part for origin-clarity's sake, since I /believe/ it was created by people who did not feel connected to the term "otherkin" and wished to distance themselves from it (Rook, yes? I do not know who else was involved in its creation aside from them). It (to me personally) seemed similar to the Tumblr-centric push for the revival of -kind vs -kin terminology.

From the creator: "Just figured it’s time for the reminder that ‘alterhuman’ isn’t strictly synonymous with ‘nonhuman’ and is especially not synonymous with ‘kin.’" x

(This post was last modified: 2018-12-03 17:41 by Future.)
2018-12-03 17:32
Save
Give Thanks
House Of Chimeras
Historian
Theriotype: aelurodon, frillshark, blueglacus, redtailhawk,etc
.$team.

To quote the creator of the term "alterhuman" the term is meant to mean "A category of personal identity which encompasses identification that is alternative to the common societal idea of humanity." (Source here).

Otherkin is just a small fraction of those included in the "alterhuman" label as it also includes/is meant to include groups like: soulbonders, plural systems, copinglinkers, vampires, furries, and more.

So it is a very board term to say the least and is certainly not synonymous with otherkin.

- Cavern-Risen (female, werewolf)
2018-12-05 3:01
Save
Give Thanks
ArchieAce
Local Cockatoo Thing
Theriotype: Cockatoo, Maned Wolf, Fictionkin
Contribution: tick tick 

(2018-12-03 15:41)elinox Wrote:  Very nice!

A few points though. Some of us do not agree with the "alterhuman" terminology. It seemed to gain use on Tumblr, I think? So maybe add a caveat that it's the newer term for simply "otherkin"? That said, otherkin is also the umbrella term that includes therians. Wink

Otherhearted - mention that the term can also be called 'kith'.

I would probably include phantom limbs as it's own definition since it's not the same as phantom shifting. Some people experience phantom limbs that are constant, or near-constant, hence no shifting occurs.

Sensory shifting is also called perception shifting.

How is a spiritual shift different than an aural or mental shift?

Edited. Any more problems and I'd love to fix them!

I don't experience these myself nor do astral spiritual work, but an aural shift is your aura changing form (unsure how that is done or detected), a spiritual shift is your astral body changing, e.g. on the astral plane, while a mental shift is thinking alike their species/whatever they are. Apologies if that is unclear. Maybe next to the spiritual and astral/aural shift definitions, I could put a little disclaimer about not having much information on them?

2018-12-27 7:42
Save
Give Thanks
elicat
Therian Guide Staff
Member is Online
anam fallain
Theriotype: Cat
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
tick tick tick tick 
.$team.

(2018-12-27 7:42)Shattered Chaos Wrote:  I don't experience these myself nor do astral spiritual work, but an aural shift is your aura changing form (unsure how that is done or detected), a spiritual shift is your astral body changing, e.g. on the astral plane, while a mental shift is thinking alike their species/whatever they are. Apologies if that is unclear. Maybe next to the spiritual and astral/aural shift definitions, I could put a little disclaimer about not having much information on them?

It sounds like spirit shifting is the same as astral shifting.

As far as aural shifts go, I've heard that other people have "seen" someone's animal body sort of overlaying their human one. Your aura, just your animal form one, moving over top of your physical human body. Although I've never experienced this myself.

[Image: YJKCUsm.png]

cat | 42 | writer & published author | scuba diver | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | INFJ | eclectic Wiccan witch
2018-12-27 14:01
Save
Give Thanks
BearX
Therian Guide Staff
Prepping to Hibernate
Theriotype: Coastal Brown Bear
tick 
.$team.

(2018-12-03 17:32)Future Wrote:  ...I /believe/ it was created by people who did not feel connected to the term "otherkin" and wished to distance themselves from it (Rook, yes? I do not know who else was involved in its creation aside from them).

"Vagabond Sun" was the originator. My understanding was that it was mainly to pull all of the identity politics out, and create an umbrella term that could be a true umbrella, and give the culture and origins of the various communities back to them.

[Image: bexarp.jpg]
TG Staff | Forum Admin
(Signature cobbled together by Me)
(This post was last modified: 2018-12-27 15:52 by BearX.)
2018-12-27 15:52
Save
Give Thanks
ArchieAce
Local Cockatoo Thing
Theriotype: Cockatoo, Maned Wolf, Fictionkin
Contribution: tick tick 

(2018-12-27 14:01)elinox Wrote:  

(2018-12-27 7:42)Shattered Chaos Wrote:  I don't experience these myself nor do astral spiritual work, but an aural shift is your aura changing form (unsure how that is done or detected), a spiritual shift is your astral body changing, e.g. on the astral plane, while a mental shift is thinking alike their species/whatever they are. Apologies if that is unclear. Maybe next to the spiritual and astral/aural shift definitions, I could put a little disclaimer about not having much information on them?

It sounds like spirit shifting is the same as astral shifting.

As far as aural shifts go, I've heard that other people have "seen" someone's animal body sort of overlaying their human one. Your aura, just your animal form one, moving over top of your physical human body. Although I've never experienced this myself.

Thank you for the info!

I believe spirit shifting is the lack of astral travel, while astral shifting is astral projection. I put a little disclaimer next to both of them, saying they may be the same thing, but I have heard a few non-tumblr people use both of these terms. I'll have to go ask around.

2018-12-27 22:08
Save
Give Thanks
PinkDolphin
Away
Dogolphin (PD)
Theriotype: swiss white shepherd, Pink River Dolphin
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 
silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team.

I'd like to add:
paleotherian (https://therian.wikia.com/wiki/Paleotherian) Coined in 1997, this term refers to therians who identify as instinct animals (mainly used by dinosaurs I noticed)
and
Animalhearted to otherhearted/kith. Animalhearted is used to specificy this experience to (non-mythical etc)animals only. (https://therian.wikia.com/wiki/Animal-hearted)

interesting post! And wonderfull video by DustWolf.

[Image: mee_lil.png]
WOOF!
PD
2018-12-28 2:27
Save
Give Thanks