READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Teen Wolves
micheal65536
Aspie Wolf
Theriotype: Wolf
Experience: (therian?)

RE: Teen Wolves

(2016-10-31 18:30)Umbra Wrote:  I see MOST, NOT ALL teen wolves as attention-wanters. They are too big of a hype, they are too overboard, and that is a fluff-alarm for me.

There are a few damn decent teen wolves though.

Two comments:

• "Fluff" is a relative term. What's fluff in one community is the real deal in another. Remember there's no real link between the therian and teen wolf communities, so a teen wolf cannot be "fluff" unless you're trying to group them into the therian community where they don't belong.
  • There's actually nothing wrong with attention-seeking, except that there's usually an underlying mental reason for it which, in time, should be assessed and treated.
I realise that this is possibly a controversial viewpoint to hold, but one has to be careful to avoid a knee-jerk response when it comes to things that have a bad reputation, without properly assessing what the actual problem is.
(This post was last modified: 2016-10-31 19:03 by micheal65536.)
2016-10-31 19:02
Save
Give Thanks
Umbra
Shade
Theriotype: You may ask.
Experience: Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick 

(2016-10-31 19:02)micheal65536 Wrote:  

(2016-10-31 18:30)Umbra Wrote:  I see MOST, NOT ALL teen wolves as attention-wanters. They are too big of a hype, they are too overboard, and that is a fluff-alarm for me.

There are a few damn decent teen wolves though.

Two comments:

• "Fluff" is a relative term. What's fluff in one community is the real deal in another. Remember there's no real link between the therian and teen wolf communities, so a teen wolf cannot be "fluff" unless you're trying to group them into the therian community where they don't belong.
  • There's actually nothing wrong with attention-seeking, except that there's usually an underlying mental reason for it which, in time, should be assessed and treated.
I realise that this is possibly a controversial viewpoint to hold, but one has to be careful to avoid a knee-jerk response when it comes to things that have a bad reputation, without properly assessing what the actual problem is.

[removed]

Patience.
(This post was last modified: 2016-12-11 17:30 by Umbra.)
2016-10-31 19:46
Save
Give Thanks
micheal65536
Aspie Wolf
Experience: (therian?)

(2016-10-31 19:46)Umbra Wrote:  But in another nutshell, I love teen wolves (I just realize that "teen wolves" is a tv series too O_O LOL!!!) because they ain't scared to go out that they are comfortable with what they wear, what they believe, and how they socialize. most of them are totally chill and at peace. More of us ought to have the outgoing attitude they have, cos that takes some balls of steel. I take my hat off for them there.

Yeah, if there's any age group that's typically the most adept at challenging social norms it's teenagers - it seems to just come naturally for them. I think there's actually a lot to learn from communities like the teen wolf community.

(2016-10-31 19:46)Umbra Wrote:  You sound somewhat angry at my comment. I didn't mean to offend anyone, not do I want to offend anyone in the future. I do hope this cleared up anything, if there was anything to clear? lol, hope you have a cool day Smile

No I wasn't angry, don't worry. Smile I was just highlighting two issues that I have in discussions like this, and advising you that you may have been susceptible to them. It's one thing recognising a problem with (for example) teen wolves and having a reasonable discussion about it; it's another thing when a group of therians get together and start exclaiming "eek no! teen wolves!!! what a bunch of posers!!!!!" without properly assessing the situation. Not to say that anyone is doing that, but I have seen it happen before in discussions about the topic among therians.

2016-10-31 19:59
Save
Give Thanks
Umbra
Shade
Theriotype: You may ask.
Experience: Otherkin

(2016-10-31 19:59)micheal65536 Wrote:  

(2016-10-31 19:46)Umbra Wrote:  But in another nutshell, I love teen wolves (I just realize that "teen wolves" is a tv series too O_O LOL!!!) because they ain't scared to go out that they are comfortable with what they wear, what they believe, and how they socialize. most of them are totally chill and at peace. More of us ought to have the outgoing attitude they have, cos that takes some balls of steel. I take my hat off for them there.

Yeah, if there's any age group that's typically the most adept at challenging social norms it's teenagers - it seems to just come naturally for them. I think there's actually a lot to learn from communities like the teen wolf community.

(2016-10-31 19:46)Umbra Wrote:  You sound somewhat angry at my comment. I didn't mean to offend anyone, not do I want to offend anyone in the future. I do hope this cleared up anything, if there was anything to clear? lol, hope you have a cool day Smile

No I wasn't angry, don't worry. Smile I was just highlighting two issues that I have in discussions like this, and advising you that you may have been susceptible to them. It's one thing recognising a problem with (for example) teen wolves and having a reasonable discussion about it; it's another thing when a group of therians get together and start exclaiming "eek no! teen wolves!!! what a bunch of posers!!!!!" without properly assessing the situation. Not to say that anyone is doing that, but I have seen it happen before in discussions about the topic among therians.

[removed]

Patience.
(This post was last modified: 2016-12-11 17:30 by Umbra.)
2016-10-31 20:10
Save
Give Thanks
DancingFox
Copy cat
Theriotype: Fox Suntherian, Badger
Experience: Therian, Otherkin

This is a great thread; I love a lively discussion. https://www.reactiongifs.us/popcorn-jon-stewart/

I think that subcultures like Teen Wolves and Furries aren't necessarily detrimental to us, but they do affect the attitude of others. Any subculture is easy to bully, and when the subculture has such a large presence (online or otherwise) they become very visible and even easier to bully.
Teens try new identities all the time - I did, I'm sure you all did (or do) - and both the Teen Wolves and the bullies will regret their actions in a few years.
That being said, it's also an opportunity to learn. At least one of those Teen Wolves may be a therian just trying to express themselves and caught up in a fad. It must be welcoming to be surrounded by those who seem to feel the same as you if you don't know anything different!

get louder,
get higher,
get true to form:
Behemoth
2016-11-16 15:21
Save
Give Thanks
Reka
Mustelidmess
Theriotype: river otter, lioness
Experience: Therian
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

I am going to write this in spite of sounding like a complete idiot, but, can someone please explain to me what exactly is a teen werewolf or teen wolf?

I've seen it around here and tumblr for a long time, I know what the people who fall under that label look like, I know they are damaging to the therian community and especially wolf therians. I also know there is some TV show named like that.

BUT, I am not 100% sure of what they are, what planet they fell from, what they do, and why.

I myself, when I first discovered therianthropy, I was very put down by the amount of those "teen wolves" and 11-14 year old wolfkin (nothing wrong with age, I just mean 99.99% of those people have never done any introspection) and I felt pretty bad about myself, to be honest. It made me question a few things, and I didn't want to be associated with that. But thankfully I learnt quikly how the community works. Also, I think they sort of... "taint" what wolves really are, to make it into their own personal brand.

Anyway, yeah, my questions, what are they, and why?
2016-11-30 22:37
Save
Give Thanks
Gray Pool
Feral feline
Theriotype: Caracal and Pronghorn
Contribution: tick tick tick 

(2016-11-30 22:37)Rain Wrote:  I am going to write this in spite of sounding like a complete idiot, but, can someone please explain to me what exactly is a teen werewolf or teen wolf?

I've seen it around here and tumblr for a long time, I know what the people who fall under that label look like, I know they are damaging to the therian community and especially wolf therians. I also know there is some TV show named like that.

BUT, I am not 100% sure of what they are, what planet they fell from, what they do, and why.

I myself, when I first discovered therianthropy, I was very put down by the amount of those "teen wolves" and 11-14 year old wolfkin (nothing wrong with age, I just mean 99.99% of those people have never done any introspection) and I felt pretty bad about myself, to be honest. It made me question a few things, and I didn't want to be associated with that. But thankfully I learnt quikly how the community works. Also, I think they sort of... "taint" what wolves really are, to make it into their own personal brand.

Teen wolves are just people, usually teens, who dress like wolves in an emo/scene kind of way.

[Image: ?format=1500w]
2016-11-30 23:16
Save
Give Thanks
Ishvala
The Bookworm
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
silvertick 
.$team.

(2016-11-30 22:37)Rain Wrote:  I am going to write this in spite of sounding like a complete idiot, but, can someone please explain to me what exactly is a teen werewolf or teen wolf?

A Teen Wolf is a person, normally aged 13-19, who follows a fashion and sometimes also moral subculture which usually consists of Punkish or Gothic styles and trends, and is usually beholden to a group of people who do the same, calling those people their "pack". This pack is seen as a gang of friends who enjoy things of that subculture, including a fandom of vampires and werewolves but not always - depending on the group, it might be a fandom of something completely different. Also, not every "Pack" has an associated fandom. Wink

(2016-11-30 22:37)Rain Wrote:  I've seen it around here and tumblr for a long time, I know what the people who fall under that label look like, I know they are damaging to the therian community and especially wolf therians. I also know there is some TV show named like that.

Teen wolves, like the Therian Community and the Furry Community, are made to look bad. They're just as misunderstood as us and it probably isn't good to mock something you don't know about.

I know a few therians who are teen wolves, furries, or both.
That doesn't mean one group is inherently bad or attached to the other.

(2016-11-30 22:37)Rain Wrote:  Anyway, yeah, my questions, what are they, and why?

They're a trend, a group of friends (sometimes related to a fandom group), and the title of Teen Wolf is also capable of being used as a fashion statement.

Why? Because different communities and groups exist for different reasons. The media just likes to make each and every group look like trash if enough overly dramatic people are willing to work in their favor.

2016-11-30 23:25
Save
Give Thanks
Reka
Mustelidmess
Theriotype: river otter, lioness
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

(2016-11-30 23:25)Ishvala Wrote:  Teen wolves, like the Therian Community and the Furry Community, are made to look bad. They're just as misunderstood as us and it probably isn't good to mock something you don't know about.

I wasn't trying to mock anyone, I was just genuinely curious.
All the "teen wolves" I've seen call themselves "wolfkin" or "therians" so that's why I was confused. I didn't know if it had anything to do with the tv show or if they are a separate thing then why do they call themselves "kin" or "therians".

Anyway, thank you both for your answer Smile

(This post was last modified: 2016-12-01 2:57 by Reka.)
2016-12-01 1:17
Save
Give Thanks
Azi_MexyWolf
Wolf Father/Pup Sitter
Theriotype: Mexican Wolf
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
.$team..$team.

I see others have answered, but I am not offering an answer, more,I agree.

Before I was fully awakened last May (2015), I knew VERY little of Therianthropy. In fact, what I did know was, or thought I knew was the three accepted shift states, and even that was wrong in my mind.

So I heard of Teen Wolves, first thing I thought was the MTV show. But it seems I was wrong. I am not out to make fun of anyone either. If someone wants to pretend to be a werewolf or what not, that is their business. I cannot say if approached I would feel at all comfortable and I would be more canine in my reactions.

But I think what upsets the community is Tumblr as a whole. I don't have tumblr. I thought about it and even went as far as to sign up an account. But I never used it, and it was closed and the username released. In that same vein, I do not (as a rule) look up Therians on YouTube either. It is usually teens. Again, nothing wrong with that. In fact most might be me. Because it is one thing to type on a computer screen. It is entirely different seeing a possible real Therian on TV or YouTube. Because for seeing that makes me realize more and more to that long time doubting/denial part of my mind say I guess they are real, and I guess I am really a Therian also. I know, odd right. You figured I would be past that. But it is hard to undo 18 years of damage.

But back on track. When I was in school werewolves were not cool, not like they are now. Plus I am in the south (country, Tennessee), and went to a small; Christian School. So most were like anyone else. I tried to hide who I was deep down, I know that.

But for Fluff, I HATE that term. I was called it more than enough during the first 3 months after I fully awakened. Fluff to me is fake.

But for teen wolves, They go their way. When they are done playing pretend they can go their ways, but I am always me. Always.

Lee

[Image: Mexican-Gray-Wolves-puppy.jpg]
Mexican Wolf Dad and Pup.

Wolf who has HUMAN mental shifts.
2016-12-01 1:37
Save
Give Thanks