READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Reactions to type based on stereotypes?
Neema
Away
Bull of Baboons
Theriotype: Striped hyena & Olive baboon
Experience: Therian
Contribution: tick tick tick 

RE: Reactions to type based on stereotypes?
Anytime I tell someone I'm a hyena, the obvious stereotypes come up: Scavenger, laughs at everything, enemy of lions. Every time I laugh in front of people who know, they'll say something along the lines of "woah calm down there you yeen" or just make fun of my laugh in general Tongue

Baboons are stereotyped as ugly, annoying, and cruel (because they've been filmed eating animals alive). But no one really heckles me over it. Just shrug and move on.
2017-04-04 21:15
Save
Give Thanks
Azi_MexyWolf
Wolf Father/Pup Sitter
Theriotype: Mexican Wolf
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
.$team..$team.

Honestly, most around here, myself included prior to May 2015, thought wolves were vicious killers. That they would kill people, animals (pets), with no fear.

I couldn't have been more wrong. But that's the idea most have on wolves.

-Azi

[Image: Mexican-Gray-Wolves-puppy.jpg]
Mexican Wolf Dad and Pup.

Wolf who has HUMAN mental shifts.
2017-04-04 21:36
Save
Give Thanks
Snipe
Away
queen of the jungle
Theriotype: Lioness
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
silvertick 

@Neema
"Enemy of lions" FIGHT ME YEEN
2017-04-05 9:49
Save
Give Thanks
StarDolphin
Trans-species cetacean
Theriotype: Interstellar Cetacean
Experience: Otherkin
silvertick silvertick 

(2017-04-05 9:49)Shmi Wrote:  @Neema
"Enemy of lions" FIGHT ME YEEN

OMG ARE WE BRINGING THE RAP BATTLE OVER HERE !?! BECAUSE I'D BE DYIN' IF IT DID !!!!!! XD XD XD

STEREOTYPE RAP BATTLE LMAO.

[Image: 2KhrBMh] HAPPY
(This post was last modified: 2017-04-05 15:45 by StarDolphin.)
2017-04-05 15:44
Save
Give Thanks
Snipe
Away
queen of the jungle
Theriotype: Lioness
silvertick 

@StarDolphin
ohhhh noooo i spent WAY too long figuring out those other raps!!
2017-04-05 15:46
Save
Give Thanks
Nihil
Human Loving Kid
Theriotype: Tapeworm \\ Check profile for more
Contribution: tick 

Eh, I haven't told anyone irl but online? Knowing my theriotype is kind of weird, I suppose that on first instance, it's common to assume I'm a troll or something. Generally people are actually more curious than anything else tho? It's amusing.
Other than that, there's not usually any kind of stereotype? I mean, general opinion is that tapeworms are just gross parasites, which is absolutely correct haha!

!!END OF TIMES I DON'T KNOW HOW!!
[Image: rebirth_banner.png]
2017-04-06 13:44
Save
Give Thanks
Syan
Something
Theriotype: Iberian Wolf/Mountain Lion/Alien
Contribution: tick 

The one thing I never understand with my human mind is how large herds of hoofed animals like bison run from a few carnivores when they are much bigger than said carnivore and outnumber them in the hundreds. Smaller ungulates like deer can probably do the same thing. When I watch videos of carnivores hunting, the carnivore always runs from their prey when they get chased. Now just imagine the whole herd chasing them.

Ashes to Ashes
Dust to Dust
2017-04-08 22:35
Save
Give Thanks
Gray Pool
Feral feline
Theriotype: Caracal and Pronghorn

(2017-04-08 22:35)Syan Wrote:  The one thing I never understand with my human mind is how large herds of hoofed animals like bison run from a few carnivores when they are much bigger than said carnivore and outnumber them in the hundreds. Smaller ungulates like deer can probably do the same thing. When I watch videos of carnivores hunting, the carnivore always runs from their prey when they get chased. Now just imagine the whole herd chasing them.

Never understood this either. Always think the exact same thing!!

[Image: ?format=1500w]
2017-04-09 2:45
Save
Give Thanks
Reka
Mustelidmess
Theriotype: river otter, lioness
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

(2017-04-08 22:35)Syan Wrote:  The one thing I never understand with my human mind is how large herds of hoofed animals like bison run from a few carnivores when they are much bigger than said carnivore and outnumber them in the hundreds. Smaller ungulates like deer can probably do the same thing. When I watch videos of carnivores hunting, the carnivore always runs from their prey when they get chased. Now just imagine the whole herd chasing them.

I agree except certain animals do face the predators! Bison are tough and many times are seen fighting back and protecting each other. Same with big water buffalo in Africa, if a lion catches one of them or a calf, as soon as they hear the calls for help, they stop on their tracks and come back, many times pushing lions away, and saving their friend. Sometimes even killing lion. I've seen bisons do the samw, going back to help the bisok who is crying for help. Sometimes they push wolves away from a desd bison and approach it to mourn their loss or just protect the carcass itself. Pretty amazing stuff! As far as I know, I've only seen bisons and relatives act like that, except sometimes an individual deer will stand for him/herself and mother elk and molse will fiercely defend their calves as well Smile

(This post was last modified: 2017-04-09 10:21 by Reka.)
2017-04-09 10:20
Save
Give Thanks
FMFoxworthy
New
Theriotype: Grey Fox
Contribution:

Sorry about posting such an old thread, but here's my two cents...

I've told only a few people in real life that I'm a therian, and then only the people I trust the most. I'm kinda shy about it, mostly because the people I tend to hang out with scoff at this sort of thing. Either I get a confused reaction, or a rather bland neutral reaction, and have only gotten particularly positive reactions from two people: a neo-pagan co-worker and a emo/counter culture girl who was working toward the same major I was in college. My parents are adamantly opposed to it as well, and that has been very detrimental in my perception of myself and hindering self discovery.

As far as stereotypes go, I find that we foxes suffer from quite a few and have the same issues that wolves and other "trendy" creatures have, and it can be quite hard to overcome the skepticism we face. "Oh, you're a fox, so trendy! What do you say, huh? Way to go failing to be unique." It does sometimes feel that we (I) need more "proof" than usual to show that I am what I am.

Most people think of foxes as sly tricksters, similar to coyotes, and are solitary loners, seductive, critters who feast on chickens and get shot by farmers. Again, some are, but definitely not the majority. I myself enjoy small, close knit groups, better than being completely alone or in large groups, which is more like the social patterns wild foxes typically have, and that's just one example.
2017-08-04 1:06
Save
Give Thanks