READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Reactions to type based on stereotypes?
WolfVanZandt
Elephant in the room
Theriotype: wolf
Experience: Therian
Contribution: tick tick 

RE: Reactions to type based on stereotypes?
Wolf....yeah. The stereotype is something that I always have to work through - especially since the combined stereotype of "wolf" and "werewolf" is so corrupted in the popular mind.

One particular issue I've had to deal with is the Native American view of the skinwalker as "evil". That naturally transfers over to werewolves. To their great credit, most of the Native Americans I've met are more than willing to augment their views of the world in favor of their experiences. The one's I've known have given me plenty of room to earn their respect.

Used to, when I was visiting Weres back East, if I visited a group of predominantly wolf, I would be served beef. If they were predominantly feline or bear, it would be fish. Heh. Luckily, I'm flexible. Most wolves I've met tend to form strong bonds. They have a very canine personality - I once told a friend what I was and she said that she was not too surprised. She had noticed that I tend to always be "casting around" like a dog tracking a scent.

Many of the Werewolves I've known tend to smell like wet dogs when they get wet. I suspect that it's just that human musk smells like dog musk but the musk has been bred out of most humans. I was hiking in the rain the other day and I stopped in at a fast food joint and, while I was waiting for my food I noticed that, "Grph. It smells like wet dog in h.....oh, that's me." So I sat way over in the corner away from everyone else.

Wolves like to play. I miss my on-the-spot energy and endurance. My heart condition put an end to that long ago. But, in the long run, a can still outlast a lot. That's just not as fun.

And I've noticed that wolves tend to be curious to the point of destructibility.
2017-08-12 18:52
Save
Give Thanks
Misha Pantanal
A Feathered Biped
Theriotype: Hyacinth macaw
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick 
.$team..$team..$team.

I've told a lot of people about my identity and I've never had any issues with stereotypes. As most of the stereotypes are positive or funny to play along with.

That weird hyacinth macaw lady! cawheart

My blood belongs to the sea, my heart to the sky, and my mind to the cosmos

"I would rather spend my life close to the birds than waste it wishing I had wings"
2017-09-03 13:58
Save
Give Thanks
that-one-err0r
Crooked Cryptid
Theriotype: Cryptid
Experience: Otherkin
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 

There's not that many reactions to margays except it has the word gay in it. Rolleyes Then if they see a picture of it they think it's a serval.

As for vultures, they're seen as dirty, good for nothing scavengers. It's sad that that's what people think of them as. They are very important for the ecosystem. Their "cleaning" of carcasses takes just a few hours while without it will take a few days.

Adam | It/He | 21 | Autistic
ISTJ-T | Chaotic Neutral
Otherkin | Fictionkin | Animalhearted

"As the boy layed there dormant,
all of his humanity drained into a murky puddle."
2017-09-03 15:05
Save
Give Thanks
Lopori
*highhoots*
Theriotype: Mermaid, bonobo, generally ape-hearted
Experience: Therian, Otherkin

When I tell people my theriotype they usually go "oh cool" or ask for more information, I don't normally hear stereotypes mentioned.
With people I know we've played around with stereotypes a bit, I was talking about politics a little while back with friends and I said I didn't know how to label myself other than liberal, and one said "of course you're a liberal you're a bonobo."
And I've had friends make silly quips about bananas and shit flinging, the usual.

I'm not human I'm just overgroomed!
2017-09-04 0:03
Save
Give Thanks
StarDolphin
Trans-species cetacean
Theriotype: Interstellar Cetacean
silvertick silvertick 

(2017-09-04 0:03)Curiosity Wrote:  "of course you're a liberal you're a bonobo."

LMAO I AM SCREAMING Laugh

Im guessing they were referring to the sexual societal norms.of bonobos? Its the only remark about bonobos ive come across at least. Other than the oh cool, one. A lot of people dont know what bonobos are, some see a picture and assume chimpanzee, ive observed.

In that case "of course youre a liberal, youre a cetacean" works too xD

[Image: 2KhrBMh] HAPPY
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-05 22:15 by StarDolphin.)
2017-09-05 22:14
Save
Give Thanks
Lopori
*highhoots*
Theriotype: Mermaid, bonobo, generally ape-hearted

(2017-09-05 22:14)StarDolphin Wrote:  

(2017-09-04 0:03)Curiosity Wrote:  "of course you're a liberal you're a bonobo."

LMAO I AM SCREAMING :LAUGH:

Im guessing they were referring to the sexual societal norms.of bonobos? Its the only remark about bonobos ive come across at least. Other than the oh cool, one. A lot of people dont know what bonobos are, some see a picture and assume chimpanzee, ive observed.

In that case "of course youre a liberal, youre a cetacean" works too xD

Yeah probably :P They are seen as the mascots of liberalism as it were.
And yeah bonobos are a very little known ape, it's a shame really, they're very understudied, under-reported/represented in media n that.
People that have heard of them usually love them, little hidden gems.

I'm not human I'm just overgroomed!
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-07 1:22 by Lopori.)
2017-09-07 1:22
Save
Give Thanks
LouGarou
Yapyap
Theriotype: Coyote
Connection: Spiritual
Contribution: tick 
silvertick 

AS USUAL @Kisota brought up...pretty much everything.

Someday I'll sign on before you. Someday.

I haven't been involved with the community for very long. I don't know anything about Werelist or "how things used to be". I'm happy enough with you guys to talk to and usually just sort of keep therianthropy-related ideas to myself.
I don't bring it up in conversation...ever. Most of my friends, even from when I was a kid, poke fun at me for my "doggishness". I've been Wolf Girl for as long as I can remember because I chew on things and dig holes. Wolf isn't my theriotype, but it's what comes to mind for most people when something canine comes up, I guess.

I totally embrace the coyote stereotypes because I think they are hilarious. I'm not exactly quick-witted or sly, but I definitely scare suburban moms if I skulk around their yard at night. Wink

People who know me learn quickly that I am COMPLETELY OBSESSED with animal behavior. Specifically canines. Even more specifically, coyotes. So while most people have no idea about therianthropy, they associate me with coyotes because I never shut up about them and I eat roadkill. Oops.

I'm fairly adaptable and definitely what you'd call an opportunistic feeder, but that's one of those things that, if I am being honest and not joking about coyote stereotypes, may or may not be related to me theriotype over my human lifestyle choices. I may never know. I don't particularly care. I'm happy to roll with it, it makes me happy. -shrug-

[Image: 257zywk.png]
2017-11-02 13:55
Save
Give Thanks
BearX
Therian Guide Staff
Prepping to Hibernate
Theriotype: Coastal Brown Bear
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
tick 
.$team.

I don't know if I've been pigeonholed due to my type. I have a sort of bearish shape, so folks typically rib me about that and I can give the impression of being a little overly folksy and casual. However, Yogi is closer to my personality than say Baloo, if one has to pick bear stereotypes.
So, generally reactions have been positive and folks have felt that I fit bear, certainly better than any other critter.

[Image: bexarp.jpg]
TG Staff | Forum Admin
(Signature cobbled together by Me)
(This post was last modified: 2017-11-02 14:16 by BearX.)
2017-11-02 14:15
Save
Give Thanks
flashwolfy
slithering snake
Theriotype: palm nut vulture ; drake
Contribution: tick 

Back in the beginning when I thought I was a wolf, I told friends and family and they all made jokes (not really nice ones) asking me if I bark and howl and if I wear a tail, if I can talk to my dog. Now, with my current types, some people (I have trust issues now) know of my bearded vulture and lion type, I try explaining it but my dad is the most accepting. He doesn't understand it at all really but we are like best friends, he accepts me.

Jokes are very common, not nice ones for me though. I've gotten used to them but nobody really talks about it because I barely bring it up and everyone thinks it was one of those "middle school phases."

The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math.
2017-11-02 14:32
Save
Give Thanks
StarDolphin
Trans-species cetacean
Theriotype: Interstellar Cetacean
silvertick silvertick 

(2017-11-02 14:15)BearX Wrote:  I don't know if I've been pigeonholed due to my type. I have a sort of bearish shape, so folks typically rib me about that and I can give the impression of being a little overly folksy and casual. However, Yogi is closer to my personality than say Baloo, if one has to pick bear stereotypes.
So, generally reactions have been positive and folks have felt that I fit bear, certainly better than any other critter.

...."smmaarrter than the average bear!!"

...i had to Laugh Orca Heart

[Image: 2KhrBMh] HAPPY
2017-11-02 14:38
Save
Give Thanks