READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Dino's list of misconceptions; what therianthropy is definitely not
Kaitsev
*lowers chin & grins*
Theriotype: Skeptically, fox
Experience: Therian
Contribution: tick tick 

RE: Dino's list of misconceptions; what therianthropy is definitely not
The discussion linking therianthropy with those who are in some way associated with Asperger's (which is now officially simply referred to as "in the autistic spectrum") is a thought I've had several times.

It's strange, as a female talking about Asperger's because there isn't much research conducted on women in general in this topic. I've read a lot about the history of this identification within the Autistic spectrum and most of the infinitesimal research on the subject is recorded in males.

(that's not my point at all. Just wanted to state for history purposes that those who have never read of such a thing that it may be just as prevalent in women as in men, it's just not recorded as much currently)

I'm interested in reviving this conversation if anyone else is interested in joining in, but I'd like to pose a new hypothesis... Could it also be potentially tied to depression and coping mechanisms?

I don't believe I have met a single person on this site who has not (from my limited interactions with people here, admittedly) said that they have had depression and quite possibly still do.

Animals are used quite regularly in all kinds of therapy. Take therapy dogs on college campuses for example, one of the most effective methods universities have developed yet, besides offering classes such as yoga and creating de-stressing facilities to aid with anxiety.

Is it quite possible that in some way all of us, as children, identified ourselves personality wise with a certain kind of animal because either we shared those qualities, or found great comfort in them so much so that we began to embody their qualities as we grew.

Some people create imaginary friends, others find strength in nature because, while primal... it's primal qualities are also what make it so revered and admirable in some ways. It represents a kind of strength that at times we had to dissociate from ourselves and hold onto something more essential within the global genomes (whatever that may be).

In some ways, though most of us are very protected as humans, more so than animals... Within every animal is a desire to survive, and when it seems like there's no other human to cling to, we find other things that we admire.

I 100% agree that no one chooses to be therian, but within that, I'd like to pose the idea that we grow in those ways because of our experiences in life. Pain, at times, is the most artistic and diverse teacher when it comes to thriving in the world (or at the very least, coping with it).

Have you ever noticed the personality of the animal you identify with coming forth in your day-to-day interactions and why do you suppose that is?

~ Kaitsev Fáelán

A chilling call, a flash of teeth, I am canine underneath.

[Image: jh8ug7.gif]
2018-03-11 0:03
Save
Give Thanks
WolfVanZandt
Elephant in the room
Theriotype: wolf

I would think that we have a predisposition to grow in those ways. People say, "Nature or nurture" but like Prof. Gerald E. Schneider emphasizes in the MIT course on animal behavior, it's always both.

Many Weres, like myself wasn't exposed to any more or different pain than the Mainstreamers around us growing up. Growing up is problematic - stressors trigger adaptation and maturing is adaptation. But how people adapt is tied to how they're constructed - what they're made of.
2018-03-12 18:01
Save
Give Thanks
BlackWolfGirl
The British Expat Wolf
Theriotype: Black Tundra Wolf
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Contribution:

(2015-08-03 2:47)wingedkitty Wrote:  This is a great list! I also am glad it includes that it's not new, and that it's not a tumblrism, although I will mention one thing. The second point: "2. We don't believe we are currently that creature. We know we are human." is under the assumption that all kin are neurotypical. I personally believe it would be best moved to the YMMV section? (with an explanation if it may rise questions there) There may not be a huge number of them, but there are are mentally ill therians & otherkin who do literally believe that they are their kintype. Even if they aren't really, it is phrased as "we don't believe", so that wouldn't necessarily be true for anyone. Just thought I'd mention that!

I have so many issues with this comment, namely
I believe without a doubt my soul is a wolf. That I’m a wolf thats trapped in a humans body, so that makes me mentally ill? How can you even justify saying that or begin to consider that mentally ill if you yourself are otherkin/ therian?

Just sayin’

2018-10-27 10:27
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Support pup
Theriotype: Arabian Wolf
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick 
.$team.

(2018-10-27 10:27)BlackWolfGirl Wrote:  I have so many issues with this comment, namely
I believe without a doubt my soul is a wolf. That I’m a wolf thats trapped in a humans body, so that makes me mentally ill? How can you even justify saying that or begin to consider that mentally ill if you yourself are otherkin/ therian?

Just sayin’

The post you replied to is from 2015, so I doubt wingedkitty is around to answer you.

But from my understanding you misunderstood what the author was saying.

LP,
Dusty

If you think I'm wrong just say so. Let's talk about it.
Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
2018-10-27 13:07
Save
Give Thanks
WolfVanZandt
Elephant in the room
Theriotype: wolf

Yeeeeah. It's generally been in the "were creed" (yep, I'm joking) that we know we're human but that there's something about us that isn't human. For sooth, 'tis that we have a human bodkin. DNA and all that.

There are people who do actually believe that they physically shift into other beings. I've met a few and the ones I've met are quite aware of their schizophrenia.

Now, if by "human" one means "homo sapiens" I'm not totally convinced that we are. I strongly suspect that therianthropy is a product of homo Neanderthalensis. But some would call h.N human so I will demure (I know, when have I ever been demure? Just sayin'.)
2018-10-27 16:04
Save
Give Thanks