READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Poll: Are you shiftkin?
Yes/Sí
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Are you Shiftkin?
BRRVV127
Away
Astray flock
Theriotype: N/A
Experience: (therian?), (otherkin?)
Contribution: tick 

RE: Are you Shiftkin?
The correct term for that is Shapeshifter or being a Polymorph!
2018-05-14 8:36
Save
Give Thanks
Ishvala
The Bookworm
Theriotype: Wolf
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
silvertick 
.$team.

At this point, I have no idea. I'll hold off on my vote for now.
2018-05-14 10:04
Save
Give Thanks
Vyt
Research Dog
Theriotype: Border Collie Dog
Experience: Therian
Contribution: tick tick 

Wouldn't this thread belong in the Polling Area?

The dog trots freely in the street/and sees reality/and the things he sees/are bigger than himself- Lawrence Ferlinghetti
2018-05-14 11:24
Save
Give Thanks
coyote_soul
~Song Dog~
Theriotype: CO Coyote / Shapeshifter
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick 

Maybe @DustWolf or @LycanTheory can move it to the proper place?

(This post was last modified: 2018-05-15 4:07 by coyote_soul.)
2018-05-15 4:06
Save
Give Thanks
Remi
TurtleButt
Theriotype: Brown Bear, Polymoprh, Mutant Turtle (species)
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick 

I'm a polymoprh Smile
2018-05-19 7:23
Save
Give Thanks
Taz Mania
Fly on the wall
Theriotype: Thylacine
Contribution:

I personally prefer the term "polymorph", just as Blu McCaw used above. That's at least what I've always heard what the op is describing being called. I have, however, also heard it called, "shapeshifter". While both terms can be used interchangeably, I would think "polymorph" would be clearer, given that "shapeshifter" could potentially be confused for claims of p-shifting. It's just the way I see the words, of course...

Nevertheless, the op makes good points. I actually had a lot of difficulty finding my theriotype as well, and my difficulty was due to a number of reasons. For one, my theriotype is extinct and lesser-known, and I was a bit afraid of identifying as something extinct. Another reason was community trauma early on. An admin of one site essentially was abusive toward me, and I spiraled into an identity crisis for years after that. I think another thing that doesn't help a lot of therians (that happened to me as well early on) was when people would pretend they knew my theriotype, when in fact, they did not. While I do believe in psychic ability, I've also noticed that a lot of people who are not psychic in the community, claim to be...but only outside of the spotlight, and behind the scenes. I'm not sure if they do this for their own superiority or to manipulate, but it definitely is something that happens.

So another reason behind the difficulty faced by those having trouble pinning down their theritoype could be negative community influence, I suppose.
2018-05-25 2:09
Save
Give Thanks
Mirvolk
Fly on the wall
Theriotype: Wolf, Raven, Dragon
Contribution:

I believe myself to be wolfkin, but occasionally I shift into a much different creature, which I would call a form of werewolf. Initially I believed this to be a mythical variant of wolf and therefore a new theriotype, but I am investigating further and trying different theories myself. If you have any ideas, feel free to throw them my way. I have tried theories such as "maybe this creature is a halfway point between wolf and human", but that doesn't make any sense at all, as this creature is not humanoid at all and the only more human characteristic it has is slightly more dextrous front legs, more like a cat, which still isn't humanoid at all, and a thin gangly waist.
I don't claim to have any answers, and to be quite frank, I don't neccesarily need to come up with an explanation for everything. I am just me. And me sometimes changes.
(I feel as if I have gone completely off topic here, sorry)

Anyway this is a very interesting theory.
2018-07-18 6:59
Save
Give Thanks