READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

copinglink questions (not sure what threat to put it in)
crowheather
Pup
Theriotype: feline and maybe canine
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological
Contribution:

Smile copinglink questions (not sure what threat to put it in)
what is copinglink considered as? (example: otherkin, other hearted, etc)
can people be copinglink without having control over what they link with or even knowing that they are using it as a coping mechanism and can change it? (forgive me if i’m using the wrong terms i just want to find stuff out)
2023-03-30 23:03
Save
Give Thanks
Kotuko
The Legendary Kok Tuo
Theriotype: Greenland Dog, Lammergeier; Dragon
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick 
.$team.

RE: copinglink questions (not sure what threat to put it in)
From what I understand it stands on its own, but depending on what 'type one takes on as a coping mechanism it can fall into those categories

I believe they can link without meaning to or realizing, although the official definition claims otherwise. Then again I believe most of my theriotypes stemmed from a survival instinct, but my dragonkin self is the one most predominantly linked to trauma, and therefore I call it a coping mechanism. Also keep in mind that somebody coined this term themselves, and though I respect what they've contributed it doesn't necessarily mean they did or didn't do extensive research into their own phenomenon. Phycology is crazy, and our brains do lots of fascinating things

[Image: Gayo6Zu.jpg]
Sólin skín? Solen skinner aldri på Grønland.
Vi er gale og jakter på monstre for å leve
ᛉ ᛏ
(This post was last modified: 2023-03-30 23:47 by Kotuko.)
2023-03-30 23:47
Save
Give Thanks
crowheather
Pup
Contribution:

(2023-03-30 23:47)Kotuko Wrote:  From what I understand it stands on its own, but depending on what 'type one takes on as a coping mechanism it can fall into those categories

I believe they can link without meaning to or realizing, although the official definition claims otherwise. Then again I believe most of my theriotypes stemmed from a survival instinct, but my dragonkin self is the one most predominantly linked to trauma, and therefore I call it a coping mechanism. Also keep in mind that somebody coined this term themselves, and though I respect what they've contributed it doesn't necessarily mean they did or didn't do extensive research into their own phenomenon. Phycology is crazy, and our brains do lots of fascinating things

okay thanks!

2023-03-31 1:01
Save
Give Thanks
WolfWisp
Y blaidd du Cymreig
Theriotype: Eurasian wolf, Coyote + a few more
Contribution:

Is copinglink a fairly new term? I'm not sure I've come across it before. I was therian before the major trauma in my life, but it also acted as a coping mechanism during it, though I would not say it was caused by it. It's a bit confusing.

Eurasian Wolf | Transmasc (He/Him) | Professional artist
Welsh witchcraft/Druidry | Shinto (Inari Shinkou)
2023-03-31 10:45
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Member is Online
Support pup
Theriotype: Arabian Wolf
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick 
.$team.

As @BearX would say... Some people struggle with their therianthropy. If therianthropy was a coping mechanism, they'd need a coping mechanism for their coping mechanism.

TL;DR: Copinglink is basically a misunderstanding of what therianthropy is. And that is all.

LP,
Dusty

If you think I'm wrong just say so. Let's talk about it.
Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
(This post was last modified: 2023-03-31 14:43 by DustWolf.)
2023-03-31 12:47
Save
Give Thanks
crowheather
Pup
Contribution:

(2023-03-31 10:45)WolfWisp Wrote:  Is copinglink a fairly new term? I'm not sure I've come across it before. I was therian before the major trauma in my life, but it also acted as a coping mechanism during it, though I would not say it was caused by it. It's a bit confusing.

copinglink also used to be called copingkin

(2023-03-31 12:47)DustWolf Wrote:  As @BearX would say... Some people struggle with their therianthropy. If therianthropy was a coping mechanism, they'd need a coping mechanism for their coping mechanism.

TL;TR: Copinglink is basically a misunderstanding of what therianthropy is. And that is all.

LP,
Dusty

i would say that for some reason it can be used as a coping mechanism to kind of revert back to not having to worry about things maybe or because animals don’t have to worry about human things so if the person who is using therianthropy as a coping mechanism could be using it because when they see animals they feel that the animal doesn’t have to worry about the same thing they have to (just a theory not my personal experience)

(This post was last modified: 2023-03-31 14:21 by crowheather.)
2023-03-31 14:02
Save
Give Thanks
Kotuko
The Legendary Kok Tuo
Theriotype: Greenland Dog, Lammergeier; Dragon
Contribution: tick tick 
.$team.

(2023-03-31 12:47)DustWolf Wrote:  TL;TR: Copinglink is basically a misunderstanding of what therianthropy is. And that is all.

LP,
Dusty

Yess thank you Dusty, I agree. Everybody's experiences are unique and personal. Trying to stuff everything into labeled boxes all the time, especially when dealing with something as diverse as therianthropy, seems taxing and frankly, quite pointless. Don't get me wrong, I respect everybody's identify and the words they may use to describe it but I feel going to extremes might tangle one up into a narrow-minded standpoint, whereas places like TG were designed for having open-minded conversations

In short I believe that we should just live and let live Tongue To try and not to pay too much attention to words and labels, and focus more on shared experiences and community instead

[Image: Gayo6Zu.jpg]
Sólin skín? Solen skinner aldri på Grønland.
Vi er gale og jakter på monstre for å leve
ᛉ ᛏ
2023-03-31 14:39
Save
Give Thanks
Tdae
visitor
Theriotype: n/a
Experience: Human
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 

It is my understanding that a copinglink is a deliberate coping mechanism. On the other hand a coping mechanism is not necessarily under conscious control. One time I did a little experiment by inviting my unconscious mind to create a "copinglink" when I was feeling stressed. I just tried to focus on the sensations that came and allow them to take the form they did. It turned into some sort of prehistoric reptilian with plates and spines that felt "safe." It helped me feel better that time but I've not been able to repeat it.

I believe therianthropy could develop (or become more pronounced) from a coping mechanism during childhood, but if this is the case I feel it's more correct to call it an adaptation. I experienced attachment trauma which led to the development of a wolf in my psyche, but I think calling it a coping mechanism kind of trivializes it. In my perception of my experience, it's because trauma shuts down higher brain functions such as having a sense of "self." As the brain neural network was attempting to get the self back "online," I (unconsciously) found it impossible to be associated with my human identity. So a dissociated wolf self was created with a lot of symbolic meanings.

previously a wolf spirit
2023-03-31 14:58
Save
Give Thanks
crowheather
Pup
Contribution:

(2023-03-31 14:58)Tdae Wrote:  It is my understanding that a copinglink is a deliberate coping mechanism. On the other hand a coping mechanism is not necessarily under conscious control. One time I did a little experiment by inviting my unconscious mind to create a "copinglink" when I was feeling stressed. I just tried to focus on the sensations that came and allow them to take the form they did. It turned into some sort of prehistoric reptilian with plates and spines that felt "safe." It helped me feel better that time but I've not been able to repeat it.

I believe therianthropy could develop (or become more pronounced) from a coping mechanism during childhood, but if this is the case I feel it's more correct to call it an adaptation. I experienced attachment trauma which led to the development of a wolf in my psyche, but I think calling it a coping mechanism kind of trivializes it. In my perception of my experience, it's because trauma shuts down higher brain functions such as having a sense of "self." As the brain neural network was attempting to get the self back "online," I (unconsciously) found it impossible to be associated with my human identity. So a dissociated wolf self was created with a lot of symbolic meanings.

i agree

2023-03-31 15:10
Save
Give Thanks
WolfWisp
Y blaidd du Cymreig
Theriotype: Eurasian wolf, Coyote + a few more
Contribution:

(2023-03-31 14:58)Tdae Wrote:  I believe therianthropy could develop (or become more pronounced) from a coping mechanism during childhood, but if this is the case I feel it's more correct to call it an adaptation. I experienced attachment trauma which led to the development of a wolf in my psyche, but I think calling it a coping mechanism kind of trivializes it. In my perception of my experience, it's because trauma shuts down higher brain functions such as having a sense of "self." As the brain neural network was attempting to get the self back "online," I (unconsciously) found it impossible to be associated with my human identity. So a dissociated wolf self was created with a lot of symbolic meanings.

Adaption sounds better to me as well, I think referring to therianthropy as a coping mechanism does trivialise it, though I would also understand why people would refer to it as such. The disassociate aspect also makes a ton of sense to me.

Eurasian Wolf | Transmasc (He/Him) | Professional artist
Welsh witchcraft/Druidry | Shinto (Inari Shinkou)
2023-04-01 15:39
Save
Give Thanks