READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Wicca Question and Answers
Raven's Sorrow
Huginn The Seeker
Theriotype: Mearns' Coyote
Experience: Therian
Contribution:

Information Wicca Question and Answers
Wicca Question and Answers

Hey folks,

We have a large number of people who are interested in learning about Wicca from what I have seen by the number of other forms in the Religion & Spirituality forum section. So, in attempt to better organize the questions and answers I will be working to consolidate the information in a single place for easier reference. I will also do my best to have any questions asked in this form answered and added to the list below. I will do my best to answer questions and my sister has agreed to help me with regards to questions that focus more on coven life, she is a priestess in training for a Dianic coven. Everyone one is, of course, welcomed to ask questions and answers them. I will compile everything and post it the reserved sections below.

Question And Answers Section

Is there a difference between pagan and Wiccan? if so what is it?
(Asked by StarDolphin)

Huginn’s Answer

The simple answer to your question is yes. In the sense that pagan/paganism is a catch-all term to describe many ideologies and religions that are not Abrahamic in their origins. Originally, the term was more simplified, it referred to someone from the countryside or other rural areas. However, it evolved after the majority of the city-dwelling Roman populist converted to Christianity to be derogatory in nature. Basically, at the time to be pagan or practice paganism one was to be thought a stupid rural peasant. This is largely a result of Roman cities and large towns adopting Christianity while more rural areas held on to their own traditions.

The more complicated answer is sort of.

Paganism is an extremely large term and often an inaccurate one. While yes, most Wiccan’s do consider themselves pagan not all do. Wicca as a religion bases itself largely on older shamanistic traditions despite being relativity young compared to other religions. This means that various traditions have arisen since the days of Gerald Gardner, the man considered the father of modern Wicca. So, to a degree, it depends on the person.

To me personally, I do not consider myself a pagan, I consider myself a heathen. Some think the words heathen and pagan are intertangle but they are not. Before becoming Wiccan, I was a heathen who followed Ásatrú, one of the modern interpretations of the old Norse faith. Most who follow Ásatrú or others forms of the Troth, the blanket term for the various forms of Northern European Heathenry, call themselves heathens. I suppose you could say it is more about specifying oneself, a pagan is a rural townsperson who was no Christian while a heathen was a barbaric northern foreigner. Also, from what I have seen not many people who do not follow a form of the Troth considers themselves heathens. And just to be clear I may be Wiccan and align my views with them most often but I still follow the Troth.

Heather Meadowsweet's answer (My priestess in training sister)

Paganism is a spirituality, Wicca is an organized religion.

Simplest way to explain Wicca is that if paganism were to have an organized religion, that would be it. Wicca is an umbrella covering numerous religious traditions, similar to how the term Christianity covers Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, etc

There are people who follow the religion but don't call themselves Wiccan because they hate Gardner.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-27 22:06 by Raven's Sorrow.)
2017-09-26 23:27
Save
Give Thanks
elicat
Therian Guide Staff
anam fallain
Theriotype: Cat
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick tick tick tick 
.$team.

RE: Wicca Question and Answers
You mean like a thread specifically for discussing Wicca?

There are a few threads already, where members asked questions/for advice/talked about Wicca. So I'm not sure we need a new thread when ones already exist. Guide

[Image: YJKCUsm.png]

cat | 42 | writer & published author | scuba diver | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | INFJ | eclectic Wiccan witch
2017-09-27 14:24
Save
Give Thanks
StarDolphin
Trans-species cetacean
Theriotype: Interstellar Cetacean
Experience: Otherkin
Contribution: tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick 

ohh this is cool! @elinix i still think its great because its concentrated info generally on one thread about ravens experiences and knowledge and her sisters particularly, which id love to know more about . yes! cool thread!

question: is there a difference between pagan and wicca? if so what is it?

[Image: 2KhrBMh] HAPPY
2017-09-27 15:27
Save
Give Thanks
elicat
Therian Guide Staff
anam fallain
Theriotype: Cat
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
tick tick tick tick 
.$team.

(2017-09-27 15:27)StarDolphin Wrote:  question: is there a difference between pagan and wicca? if so what is it?

Paganism is the general umbrella term that Wicca falls under it. So someone who is a pagan isn't necessarily also a wiccan, but a wiccan is always a pagan. Other branches of Paganism include things like Druidry, Asatru, Kemet, etc.

[Image: YJKCUsm.png]

cat | 42 | writer & published author | scuba diver | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | INFJ | eclectic Wiccan witch
2017-09-27 15:44
Save
Give Thanks
Raven's Sorrow
Huginn The Seeker
Contribution:

(2017-09-27 14:24)elinox Wrote:  You mean like a thread specifically for discussing Wicca?

There are a few threads already, where members asked questions/for advice/talked about Wicca. So I'm not sure we need a new thread when ones already exist. Guide

My issue is more that too many exist and are scattered all over the Religion and Spirituality forum section. So instead I thought a centralized one would make it simpler for people to find instead of having to wade through the countless post. I do intend to move those already in existence here with time but I also intend to ask the threads creators if using their question here and linking to the said forum is okay with them.

My name is Huginn

The coyote with a raven's name. A trickster guiding a trickster. A world built on the idea that truth is what we make it.
[Image: GJbuhuH.png]
2017-09-27 22:13
Save
Give Thanks
skarlath
Demon Prince of Eteria
Theriotype: Wolf+41
Contribution:

This is great! Huginn, if you need assistance, than I would be more than happy to! I've been practicing for about 16 years myself. Mainly Wicca, but have dabbled in druidry and other path's.
2017-10-03 2:30
Save
Give Thanks
Raven's Sorrow
Huginn The Seeker
Contribution:

(2017-10-03 2:30)skarlath Wrote:  This is great! Huginn, if you need assistance, than I would be more than happy to! I've been practicing for about 16 years myself. Mainly Wicca, but have dabbled in druidry and other path's.

Awesome, I will keep that in mind.

My name is Huginn

The coyote with a raven's name. A trickster guiding a trickster. A world built on the idea that truth is what we make it.
[Image: GJbuhuH.png]
2017-10-03 2:52
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Member is Online
Support pup
Theriotype: Arabian Wolf
Connection: Psychological
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick 
.$team.

Hello,

As this thread is very popular for some reason, I am moving it here where it is public. Smile

It doesn't have anything to do with therianthropy, but hey, we are here to help.

LP,
Dusty

If you think I'm wrong just say so. Let's talk about it.
Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
2018-10-06 20:15
Save
Give Thanks