READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

What is or isn't therianthropy
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Support pup
Theriotype: Arabian Wolf
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick 
.$team.

What is or isn't therianthropy
Hello,

Over the years we've noticed a repeating cycle of people coming up with rules of exclusion over who is or is not a therian.

You may have heard things like "identifying as vs with", or "your theriotype is you, it is not a separate entity". The problem with these rules is that while they make sense for many therians, there are exceptions. Who are we to tell people who may very well be therians, that they are not therians, because of some rules we arbitrarily made up?

I understand that it is important, especially to younger therians, to define who the in-group of therianthropy is. Who is with us and who is against us.

Usually what happens is that genuine therians group up and create a set of rules. Then people who want to be therians join up and make subtle changes to these rules to make themselves fit in. Eventually the rules begin to exclude actual therians. Then the rules are torn down and the cycle begins again.

The truth is, we don't know what therianthropy is. We don't really know if any rules govern the experience. And finally, the label is not important. The therian community does not exist to set up boundaries and exclude people. We are here to help people who might be therians. We are here to compare our experiences.

LycanTheory Wrote:Are there going to be imposters claiming they're therians? Yup and we've made being a therian appealing to those people, not just us but the entire community, collectively. It is impossible to determine who might be the real deal and who's not without actually getting to know someone in great detail. The ethics of excluding individuals or groups over reasons arbitrary whilst arguing against exclusion for other individuals or groups is hypocrisy. There is nothing we can do to prevent imposters, the only thing anyone can do is outlast them.

If someone mistakenly believes they are a therian, it is not our job to police them. It is their loss for investing time and energy into something that is not true about themselves.

The story of those usually goes a little like this (Click to View)

I am not saying that everyone who wants to be can be a therian or any such nonsense. Therianthropy is an experience shared by very few people, who usually live far apart. True therians will always be the minority, and therefore those who seek popularity will always cater to a group which is mostly not therians.

However it is not our job to police who is or is not a therian, or draw lines to exclude people from the group. Everyone can determine in their heart whether or not they genuinely share the therian experience. Only they can determine whether or not they are a therian.

Those who are not are ultimately going to find more interesting things in their lives and they will move on. Some perhaps will not, until they overcome life issues they have been avoiding. What we can do is offer support, not exclusion.

So if you are not sure if you are a therian or not, and are looking for some easy to follow rules... Don't. There are no rules and those who claim to know them are lying. Instead just come talk to us, compare your experiences with our own and you should be able to figure it out yourself.

LP,
Dusty

If you think I'm wrong just say so. Let's talk about it.
Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
(This post was last modified: 2021-07-04 9:31 by DustWolf.)
2021-07-04 9:26
Save
Give Thanks
UniqueQuestion
New
Theriotype: Bat, steppe eagle
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Contribution:

RE: What is or isn't therianthropy
I read through this post and it really is something- I do agree with them on their points and although this post was made a lil while ago I believe it's something that should be said a bit more just because the true relevance it has to therianthropy as a collective (I am unsure if that's how I should put it, as I am typing while tired lol)

I personally came to this forum a lot more unsure but still wished to get to the source on what being a therian was. I wanted to look for main points from all perspectives- as I've read through them I've definitely had that feeling of "this is it, I'm not alone" but I also didn't wish to post a whole lot (I also didn't get on a whole bunch because this is a new territory to me, I have never really used forums before therian guide)

This definitely makes me feel slightly less stressed- because the whole rules thing doesn't make sense for a community like this, except the rules on what you can and can't do on the forum lmao those make sense. Bone

So if you are new, I suggest reading this :3

"The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb"
2022-05-10 3:07
Save
Give Thanks
Lynx26
Eager beaver
Theriotype: semi-domestic cat
Contribution: tick tick tick 

I've identified as a therian for I think 4 years now, maybe 5, and it's honestly a fear of mine that my immature tween self read too much Warrior Cats and made up this whole thing, and I just never realized they were wrong.. I mean I'm 99% sure I don't catalyze my own shifts etc but it's there in the back of my mind all too often on quiet nights
2022-05-10 4:14
Save
Give Thanks
Lupus Ferox
Isolated wuff
Theriotype: wolf
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick tick 
.$team..$team..$team.

No one can tell someone is a therian, but respecting analogy, neither can they claim that the same person is not, even if what is said doesn't sound quite like it. Mutual respect and communication should be thought highly of in that regard.
2022-05-10 16:37
Save
Give Thanks
Werewulfra
Therian Guide Staff
Member is Online
Void
Theriotype: NULL
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team.

Honesty and open-mindedness when sharing one's experiences and reading about other's experiences are the most important thing. Mutual respect and communication, as Lupus said.

When the light is running low, and the shadows start to grow
And the places that you know seem like fantasy
There's a light inside your soul that's still shining in the cold
With the truth, the promise in our hearts
Don't forget, I'm with you in the dark.
2022-05-10 17:08
Save
Give Thanks