READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

What is an Alpha? What are packs? etc
PinkDolphin
Away
Dogolphin (PD)
Theriotype: swiss white shepherd, Pink River Dolphin
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 
silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team.

RE: What is an Alpha? What are packs? etc
I wanted to add another thought here of mine. One I thought about many many times over a long period of time.
Now I'm not an 'alpha', nor would I wanna be one. I am in an online 'pack' for the reason of having a close friend group, not to fulfull animal needs, techniqly I'm 'beta' there, which I didn't ask to me. I joined without rank and got randomly one given to me by some other members there. However 'beta' doesn't imply a 'level' or 'dominance' here. I don't even know 90% of the other 'members', nor do I actually even know who would be the second alpha(we have one tho I read), all because we do not talk about ranks and do not use them. The only reason they're there is to replace the tittle 'group owner' (alpha, the one who started the groupand runs it) and 'admin' for beta (which basicly only means u got acces to some things like changing group description). Fancy for very human things. They're nice friends. I usually say 'the candlewood', as 'the candlewood pack' sounds somewhat wrong to me. As we don't actually try to act as a pack. It's an animalistic label for a human thing.

However back to my point: I basicly don't fullfill many 'alpha-like' roles, despite being 'admin' on two places of which one 'pack'. I do not feel the need to be alpha or to have any form of control or 'level'. A good example being current amino curator applications. I Know I got a high chance of being chosen due being known and very active there, however I don't want it. I don't want the tittle,to be seen as it nor the responsibility I know I cannot endure at the moment eitherway.

But one thing, despite not being a wolf (tho I do personally think a dog can experience the same for of wanting-hierachy-like-a-pack), nor alpha, I noticed one big difference between a true 'alpha' and an 'alpha' that only wants to fullfill own human needs or acts out of being human.

That being that one is a leader. And one is a caretaker.

I see this in ourselves a lot on meets I hold.
In 'therian pack' videos you see the 'alpha' walking at front. Proud, having the others behind them,.. looks nice on vid and from outsiders right?
Well my thought is: sure you walk up front, but you're litterally not caring about your fellow therians at the moment. What if one is feeling sick, tired or wandering off? You will not see, as you proudly look in front of you.
The ones who are, in my eyes, not the kind of 'alpha' that fulfills human needs.. can be described as a 'caretaker'. They still fulfill a natural form of leading. But they care more than that they take the lead. They'll walk behind or next to the group, to see the others, ask if one is tired, offer a painkiller if they're feeling bad. They see, talk, put themselves on the same level, as they guide them through the streets.

You see that here on TG too. Dust and Lycan, BearX, Coffee, Zefer,.. some of them have 'higher position' admin-wise etc. But honestly? You don't really notice. You find them in chats, talking to you on the same level. Not as if they're right, they're leaders, and not only to correct or put people in place.

As Dust say. It's more about love. And less about popularity or dominance. 'lOVE' can freely interpretated from deep connection to regular friendship.

So that's what I wanted to point out. That you have the 'caretakers' (the good ones in my opinion) and the leaders (the actually not good ones in my opinion. leaders are needed, but caretakers naturally fullfill this role without the dominance and manipulation and humanness)

WOOF!
PD

[Image: mee_lil.png]
WOOF!
PD
2019-03-27 23:50
Save
Give Thanks
Xiahtic
Away
Banned
Theriotype: ...
Experience: Therian, Otherkin

(2019-03-27 23:50)PinkDolphin Wrote:  I wanted to add another thought here of mine. One I thought about many many times over a long period of time.
Now I'm not an 'alpha', nor would I wanna be one. I am in an online 'pack' for the reason of having a close friend group, not to fulfull animal needs, techniqly I'm 'beta' there, which I didn't ask to me. I joined without rank and got randomly one given to me by some other members there. However 'beta' doesn't imply a 'level' or 'dominance' here. I don't even know 90% of the other 'members', nor do I actually even know who would be the second alpha(we have one tho I read), all because we do not talk about ranks and do not use them. The only reason they're there is to replace the tittle 'group owner' (alpha, the one who started the groupand runs it) and 'admin' for beta (which basicly only means u got acces to some things like changing group description). Fancy for very human things. They're nice friends. I usually say 'the candlewood', as 'the candlewood pack' sounds somewhat wrong to me. As we don't actually try to act as a pack. It's an animalistic label for a human thing.

However back to my point: I basicly don't fullfill many 'alpha-like' roles, despite being 'admin' on two places of which one 'pack'. I do not feel the need to be alpha or to have any form of control or 'level'. A good example being current amino curator applications. I Know I got a high chance of being chosen due being known and very active there, however I don't want it. I don't want the tittle,to be seen as it nor the responsibility I know I cannot endure at the moment eitherway.

But one thing, despite not being a wolf (tho I do personally think a dog can experience the same for of wanting-hierachy-like-a-pack), nor alpha, I noticed one big difference between a true 'alpha' and an 'alpha' that only wants to fullfill own human needs or acts out of being human.

In 'therian pack' videos you see the 'alpha' walking at front. Proud, having the others behind them,.. looks nice on vid and from outsiders right?
Well my thought is: sure you walk up front, but you're litterally not caring about your fellow therians at the moment. What if one is feeling sick, tired or wandering off? You will not see, as you proudly look in front of you.
The ones who are, in my eyes, not the kind of 'alpha' that fulfills human needs.. can be described as a 'caretaker'. They still fulfill a natural form of leading. But they care more than that they take the lead. They'll walk behind or next to the group, to see the others, ask if one is tired, offer a painkiller if they're feeling bad. They see, talk, put themselves on the same level, as they guide them through the streets.

You see that here on TG too. Dust and Lycan, BearX, Coffee, Zefer,.. some of them have 'higher position' admin-wise etc. But honestly? You don't really notice. You find them in chats, talking to you on the same level. Not as if they're right, they're leaders, and not only to correct or put people in place.

As Dust say. It's more about love. And less about popularity or dominance. 'lOVE' can freely interpretated from deep connection to regular friendship.

So that's what I wanted to point out. That you have the 'caretakers' (the good ones in my opinion) and the leaders (the actually not good ones in my opinion. leaders are needed, but caretakers naturally fullfill this role without the dominance and manipulation and humanness)

WOOF!
PD

*nods agreeing* I've been that type of "Alpha" or that person in any group setting, a caretaker, always carrying everything but the kitchen sink around with me, not just for me but for others, so that they are taken care of, bringing medicine, medkits I personally make, bringing changes of clothing, blankets, pillows, survival items. I think ahead and prepare before leaving anywhere, I make lists, and get everything ready, I usually walk behind others, watching and listening, looking around.. that is when I'm actually able to walk, and just because I'm a disabled and sickly creature, doesn't make me any less of an Alpha, in my eyes, nor in the eyes of my packmembers and my parents and brother, they are very happy with how our little family/pack is. I'm proud of them all and I wouldn't trade them for any others. I need to not cry because I'm trying to recover and crying might make me cough lol, but I was on the verge of tears from the happiness that I feel when I'm thinking of my pack, my family, my mate. I'm there for them and they are there for me, always. Whether it's a human thing or an animal thing, I pretty much do both. I've been giving my mom IRL, shots that she gets from her doctor, I'll be doing wet-cupping on my brother's foot for his gout, and for most in my family, I'm the "doctor" without any schooling, and I give advice to my packmembers whenever they might need it, for physical, mental, emotional support. As they do to me, they worry about me and Kai a lot but they know we're stronger together and that things will be ok.

Here's a good reference in what I take with me or have packed to not just take care of myself, but others with me too. https://forums.therian-guide.com/Thread-Nesting-suggestions?pid=144576#pid144576

2019-03-28 1:11
Save
Give Thanks
Lynx26
Eager beaver
Theriotype: semi-domestic cat
Contribution: tick tick tick 

(2019-03-27 23:50)PinkDolphin Wrote:  I wanted to add another thought here of mine. One I thought about many many times over a long period of time.

WOOF!
PD

Does the online pack refer to the regulars? Just read this post in the list and was curious. Wait.. *rereads carefully* so.. it doesn’t? I’m a little confused, probably coz it’s 2am.
Even if that doesn’t refer to the regulars, the YouTube community, whatever you wanna call it, I think it would be really cool to find something to call it. Random thought lol

2019-04-01 0:09
Save
Give Thanks
PinkDolphin
Away
Dogolphin (PD)
silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team.

(2019-04-01 0:09)Lynx26 Wrote:  Does the online pack refer to the regulars? ..
Even if that doesn’t refer to the regulars, the YouTube community, whatever you wanna call it, I think it would be really cool to find something to call it.

I'm sorry as I'm not sure what you mean.
If you mean with "regulars", the group of therians that watch me and comment constantly and kinda "grouped together" than I'd have to say: no. The online pack I refer to is the candlewood (pack), based on therian amino.
However if the "regulars" would have an active chatgroup and some name then sure it could be called an online pack if the bond you have with eachother feels like a pack. An "online pack" can be any group of (therian) friends online groupsd in a forum, website or chatgroup.

WOOF!
PD

WOOF!
PD
2019-04-01 5:38
Save
Give Thanks
Xiahtic
Away
Banned

(2019-04-01 5:38)PinkDolphin Wrote:  However if the "regulars" would have an active chatgroup and some name then sure it could be called an online pack if the bond you have with eachother feels like a pack. An "online pack" can be any group of (therian) friends online groupsd in a forum, website or chatgroup.

That's what my pack is, an online/offline group of Therians, Otherkins, and furry friends, of multi-species and funny enough none of us are wolves, only a few members are hybrids with wolf in them, that are bonded together through common interests, like-minded life styles, and 3 years of hardships. Even arguments between members, arguments with enemy packs, and we're only getting stronger each day, bonding closer every time we talk, and even if we're inactive for a few days to a couple of weeks, we come back to each other as if no time has gone by.

We have each other's backs, we take care of each other, supporting each other, not just emotionally, mentally, and physically but sometimes even financially.

We offer each other places to stay IRL if there's issues with IRL living situations, we offer food and rides for each other. We have no secrets and make sure that a pack members isn't dating a bad person, a home wrecker, gold-digger, a faker, abuser, manipulator, etc,

Me and my mate, Kai, are Alphas(leaders and founders of the pack, mostly caretakers). Currently, we have 2 Betas: Avery who's like my offspring and Yumi who's like my sibling. Even though we only have 4 members, it's quality that matters, we had other members but life happens and some people aren't who they say they are or they just change.

We are so very close, every member is close with each member, no favoritism or anything like that. My pack, with more members, would have these ranks: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and Omega. I thought up the ranks from long ago, where a 2D graphical chatsite had admins, mods, helpers, etc as "wolf pack" ranks... even though RL wolf packs don't have all those ranks, only having 2-3 ranks, depending on size and other factors.

But if you want to be in a pack, whether it's wolf or other species, make sure you're safe, and the adults are willing to meet your parents(caretakers) in a safe public place, and make sure that the pack members and leaders understand that your life doesn't revolve around their pack, it's your life and your stuff is important. Don't let them talk you into giving them money, only if it's ok-ed by your parents and the adults in that pack. Just be safe and trust your instincts about situations. If it feels strange, then it could be dangerous, so get out of there, and never meet at another adult's house without your parents around.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

(This post was last modified: 2019-04-18 10:46 by Xiahtic.)
2019-04-01 9:38
Save
Give Thanks
Lynx26
Eager beaver
Theriotype: semi-domestic cat
Contribution: tick tick tick 

(2019-04-01 5:38)PinkDolphin Wrote:  

(2019-04-01 0:09)Lynx26 Wrote:  Does the online pack refer to the regulars? ..
Even if that doesn’t refer to the regulars, the YouTube community, whatever you wanna call it, I think it would be really cool to find something to call it.

I'm sorry as I'm not sure what you mean.
If you mean with "regulars", the group of therians that watch me and comment constantly and kinda "grouped together" than I'd have to say: no. The online pack I refer to is the candlewood (pack), based on therian amino.
However if the "regulars" would have an active chatgroup and some name then sure it could be called an online pack if the bond you have with eachother feels like a pack. An "online pack" can be any group of (therian) friends online groupsd in a forum, website or chatgroup.

WOOF!
PD

Yeah, the regulars are the pd fans who always comment or show up to live streams, or even just stay up to date with videos. I think at one point there was a chat group on yt that didn’t really work. Maybe try that again but spread the word properly..?
I’d love to be part of an official pack! Especially with a proper name.

:lynx:
Lynx

2019-04-01 17:51
Save
Give Thanks
Xiahtic
Away
Banned

(2019-04-01 17:51)Lynx26 Wrote:  Yeah, the regulars are the pd fans who always comment or show up to live streams, or even just stay up to date with videos. I think at one point there was a chat group on yt that didn’t really work. Maybe try that again but spread the word properly..?
I’d love to be part of an official pack! Especially with a proper name.

:lynx: ♾
Lynx

Um.. that's just fans of a youtuber, not a pack.. :/ PD can give his fans an official fandom name, but the fans all being in his own pack seems wrong and to completely defeat the purpose of a everything a pack stands for. There's just way too many people for one, and I feel like you all would need to be super close and feel like family, treat each other like family.. You can do that with a small group of people, sure. I just don't believe PD would want nor consider his fans to be his pack members, and he's technically already in a pack IRL, not that being in more than one is a bad thing.

2019-04-01 18:12
Save
Give Thanks
PinkDolphin
Away
Dogolphin (PD)
silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team.

(2019-04-01 18:12)Xiahtic Wrote:  Um.. that's just fans of a youtuber, not a pack.. :/ PD can give his fans an official fandom name, but the fans all being in his own pack seems wrong and to completely defeat the purpose of a everything a pack stands for. There's just way too many people for one, and I feel like you all would need to be super close and feel like family, treat each other like family.. You can do that with a small group of people, sure. I just don't believe PD would want nor consider his fans to be his pack members, and he's technically already in a pack IRL, not that being in more than one is a bad thing.

@Lyx26 I remember!
@Xiahtic well I'm not in a IRL pack, if you refer to my meet videos: we're an online community. So it's more like therian guide than like a pack. Tho some of them feel like a pack would feel. They're very close friends. Just nothing set or official. I'm only in an online pack. Techniqly if Lyx26 or another starts a groupschat with a few active watchers (I know who he means, they're like max 10 peeps and they always pop up on streams and comments, and do kinda click together) then that's no different than a group of therians clicking together due having met eachother through a shared hobby like yoga or something. So techinqly if they start a chat, with a smallish group of people, and bond to it/create that pack-feeling. They could perfectly be an online pack. Just clicked together due a shared interest. But then it wouldn't be a completely open normal chat group tho.
The line between a normal chat and an online can be very vivid. One can start as the one and become the other, or not at all.

Tho as you say, I wouldn't want to create a pack with fans. I absolutely love 'fans' and many became great friends over time that I regulary chat with, but I do not have the time to handle another specific chat or group, nor do I feel the need of another close group of friends or pack. So I do no seek one like that, and won't create one. So I'm sorry @Lynx26, I will not create a specific chatgroup simply as I do not have the time for it. You (or someone else) is free to make one, and share a link with me and I will pop in, but I won't be a packmember nor active. I don't feel that need or have that time :/

You're at all times free to pm me however, I love chatting with people. Sometimes I'm busy and it might take me a few days to get around to u, but just wait patiently then Tongue

WOOF!
PD

WOOF!
PD
2019-04-01 20:11
Save
Give Thanks
Xiahtic
Away
Banned

Oh, I understand now more about the pack you're in, and thank you for the info. I'm glad that I could help as well, with anything! ^^
2019-04-01 20:26
Save
Give Thanks
LunaSilvermist
Away
Wolf of the Fallen Sky
Theriotype: Alaskan Tundra Wolf
Contribution: tick 

I myself am an adult wolf therian and I'm the alpha of my own pack. For us our pack is family and while we have ranks no one is more important than the other.
Me and my mat are Alphas because we are leaders and organizers we act as the parents and the go to people for a problem. Our Beta are our fighters they protect us they are strong willed and stubborn. Jake is a strong Spiritual protector and Namirah is a strong Spiritual protector. our betas also serve as second in command and a shoulder to cry on Namirah is strong and motherly and even if its tough love she is the best to go to for support. Our Omega Fox is the goofball he is our comedic relief and a breath of fresh air to keep things from getting to serious . we all have a different job but we are all important .
2019-08-16 19:43
Save
Give Thanks