READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

The word "valid"
Thorn
Away
Therian Territory
Theriotype: Black Phase Wolf, Betta Fish
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 
.$team..$team.

The word "valid"
I wanted to start a discussion here about the word 'valid'.

I've recently stumbled upon many comments on platforms such as Instagram, etc. in which users shout: "Valid!" "Your opinion is valid!" "So proud! Valid!" from which I concluded that the usage has become a new trend.
The first time I read this word being used in this manner, I was more than confused. Not only was the validity of my post or the content never a concern to me, I was also wondering what made the person think they were in the position to deem my content 'valid'.

I understand where people are coming from, that it is supposed to tell people that their opinions about things are worthy of being listened to, worthy of having. That it is supposed to tell people can they can be proud of whatever statement they made. But something about it feels very off.

It sounds somewhat belittling, as if, as I mentioned before, the person shouting the word would indicate that they are in the position to judge your content to that level. But if you are a person commenting on my post, I do not see you as someone who knows more or is better than me in the first place (unless you prove me wrong on something or have actual sidenotes to my content).

The only way I would see "valid" as a 'valid' word to use, is when it is not about an opinion but rather to claim that a statement would be seen as approvable by today's society (**not by you**). Because that is the actual meaning of the word, and not some way to show you have respect for someone. We have tons of other words for this that are much less judging, such as "preach" or "retweet". And if you really want to just state the obvious instead of using a trend to show respect: just say "Agreed" or "respect".

What do you guys think about this? Do you use the term in this manner?

~ Thorn
[Image: ufu]
"Life is as colorful as you make it."
2020-10-07 19:21
Save
Give Thanks
runaway..maka
Campfire Guitar Guy
Theriotype: Canine, Northern Bobcat
Contribution: tick tick 
.$team.

RE: The word "valid"
I agree. I try my hardest to not say "Valid" alot especially when im stating an opinion.

not online much so if its urgent, please message my discord cheesus#8573

therian-guide's official campfire guitar guy
2020-10-07 19:44
Save
Give Thanks
Kaliska Shizuka
Coybrid
Theriotype: Hybrid Human/Coyote
Experience: (therian?), Otherkin
Connection: Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick tick 

I always have found the word very annoying....the way it is used bothers me as well.... I never liked how it's trendy to use.

"Don't Take Anything Personally. Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering."

- Don Miguel Ruiz
2020-10-07 20:15
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Support pup
Theriotype: Arabian Wolf
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick 
.$team.

I guess it's a result of those conversations we had where the conclusion was that Fictionkin, etc, were just as valid in whatever it is that they are, even though it's not the same as being a Therian.

Sometimes when you draw borders between different experiences, people get the impression that you are saying their experiences are invalid, because they are not Therianthropy. The point to make was that they are valid, they are just different.

Now if that has devolved into some kind of trend, it's just another example of how meaning is lost when an idea is passed around between people who do not understand what it's supposed to mean.

LP,
Dusty

If you think I'm wrong just say so. Let's talk about it.
Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
2020-10-07 21:14
Save
Give Thanks
Raz
Away
Rewr
Theriotype: Dragon, Therian
Experience: Therian, Otherkin

The word has literally lost all its "validity". The way it's been thrown everywhere and twisted by cringe culture and SJW's is just ridiculous.

People need to stop using "valid" as an excuse, and start to question what exactly makes their experiences legitimate.
2020-10-08 0:00
Save
Give Thanks
Tdae
visitor
Theriotype: n/a
Experience: Human

I agree with you Kyra. I have sometimes seen the word "valid" used in a situation when someone has been gaslighted and they're experiencing self-doubt and confusion. The person may need to do a reality check and ask someone else to confirm whether their feelings/perceptions are valid or congruent with the situation. And then they feel a sense of relief if the other person confirms their feelings or perceptions are valid. In this case the word "valid" is used in a way that is true to its definition.

previously a wolf spirit
2020-10-08 0:36
Save
Give Thanks
Alliana
Aloof werewolf
Theriotype: werewolf/jaguar
tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team..$team..$team.

(2020-10-08 0:36)Tdae Wrote:  I agree with you Kyra. I have sometimes seen the word "valid" used in a situation when someone has been gaslighted and they're experiencing self-doubt and confusion. The person may need to do a reality check and ask someone else to confirm whether their feelings/perceptions are valid or congruent with the situation. And then they feel a sense of relief if the other person confirms their feelings or perceptions are valid. In this case the word "valid" is used in a way that is true to its definition.

Yeah, I agree on the reality check. I think it does a lot of good for someone who sees their perceptions objectively rather than just feeding BS into them just so those people can be happy without doing any sort of research whatsoever. They just want to have harmony without realization that it can do harm down the road if it doesn't match up with their true selves.

But that's just my viewpoint anyway, hopefully I'll edit this before anyone sees it.

Avatar comes from my good friend Yvvki outside of TG. Smile Thank you so much for doing it!
(This post was last modified: 2020-10-10 2:24 by Alliana.)
2020-10-10 2:20
Save
Give Thanks
HoneycombPup
Nervous Young Inhuman
Theriotype: Coydog, Sheep
Contribution: tick tick 
.$team..$team.

I go to a local trans support group often (or at least, used to before the pandemic). People would use the word 'valid' pretty often as a way of telling each other "Hey, your experiences and identity are real and true". Kind of became a meme after everyone used it so much.
"I'm so tired dude"
"Yeah,that's valid."
Probably a similar situation with what's happening on the internet where it started off as a friendly gesture for groups like the trans community and the usage spiraled off from there.

[Image: TheRescue.jpg]

Honey | 20 | He/They | Omnist & Green Witch | ASD | INFP-T
"Live for each second without hesitation." - Elton John
2020-10-10 10:13
Save
Give Thanks
BearX
Therian Guide Staff
Prepping to Hibernate
Theriotype: Coastal Brown Bear
tick 
.$team.

It's a slang usage, for sure. Language changes and evolves, sometimes in ways we like, sometimes in ways we don't. Like "cool" or "respect" before it, this is the direction valid has been going.

Maybe I'll start using something different. "You're bona fide. Irrefutable!"

[Image: bexarp.jpg]
TG Staff | Forum Admin
(Signature cobbled together by Me)
2020-10-10 13:30
Save
Give Thanks
foxo_tested
Fly on the wall
Theriotype: Red fox
Connection: Psychological
Contribution:
.$team..$team.

(2020-10-10 13:30)BearX Wrote:  Maybe I'll start using something different. "You're bona fide. Irrefutable!"

This sounds like a good idea, bone apple tea.

Now I want to give my 2 cents and say that it's an LGBTQA+ more than anything. It's common for people to express how it's a "hype" or "fashion" to have a certain orientation. This is a common occurance, even for people who didn't get doxxed or gotten blackmails and death threats, something else more common than should be. (should be meaning never.)

For any peers in the LGBTQA+ here who never experienced such a thing, consider yourself lucky. At the end, the invalidation of certain groups is what made this phrase into what it is. Whether it's watered down now or not, it still has its original intent when used right.

[Image: there-is-no-need-to-be-upset-lawn-mower.gif]
2020-10-10 13:54
Save
Give Thanks