READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

The rise of "kinnies"?
Darkshifter2
Away
Elephant in the room
Theriotype: N/A
Experience: Human
Contribution: tick tick tick 

The rise of "kinnies"?
Hi everyone!! I'm not sure if many remember me since I haven't been on these fourms properly in years now,, but I wanted to talk about something that I've noticed recently that's been bugging me ig. I'm sorry if there's already been a thread on this topic or this subject is in the wrong board!! If so, admins feel free to take this down or whatever. Smile
Anyway!!
Okay hi so I've noticed that recently there's been an upsurge of fictionkin on Instagram and Tumblr; and by fictionkin I mean people who see an anime character they like or relate to and are like "Wow kin!1!!". And nowadays the term "therianthropy" has been disregarded for using otherkin as a sorta umbrella term; which I guess it always has been, but never like this.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense n it's really rushed,, but yeah. What I wanted to know is: what are ya'lls opinions on this new wave of kids who claim they're "kin" when really it's just for fun or something they relate to? Personally I feel like it's harming the therianthropy/otherkin community, I'm glad that kinning is more talked about n no longer as taboo as it once was, but it becoming mainstream is turning therians n such out to be a joke, I feel like. Idk about you but I don't really want this community to be associated with "Oh you're a kinnie? Wow me too I relate to this character so much!!" Because that's... not what "kinning" is. Not seriously, anyway. It's a spiritual thing most of the time, right? And I feel like people are forgetting or twisting the meaning now. Idk.
Anyway, I apologise if this really didn't make any sense or it was disrespectful to anyone in any way. :') Like I said, I haven't actually been involved in this community since probably.. god, 2016. I'm not sure if this is accepted or not here. Btw, I'm not trying to say that fictionkin aren't valid, ofc they are!! I just don't think people who relate to a character n they say they're "kin" are. There's a big difference between relating to a character and being it, I've learnt.
2019-08-04 5:00
Save
Give Thanks
Hati
The Creature Designer
Theriotype: wolf
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 
silvertick 

RE: The rise of "kinnies"?
People just wanna fit in and it's probably a phase for many. Those "kinnies" are just misinformed teenagers who are jealous what the fictionkin and therians have and want to be special. For some, it might be real, but when you're on a group where everyone shares the same idea, then it's hard to separate fact from fiction Tongue

[Image: JPEG_20180813_201907.jpg]
[Image: Hati02.png]
Artworks by nya2468 and SheilaGrace
2019-08-04 17:01
Save
Give Thanks
Rivermew
Copy cat
Theriotype: Domestic Cat
Experience: Therian
Contribution: tick 

It's mainly just a bunch of uninformed people who think that just because they like some character/animal it means they are therians. They don't have much of an understanding of what theriantrophy is, and usually they're the type that think that you can just change your kintype on a whim or have 300 kintypes.

If you mess with the floof, you get the oof.
2019-08-04 18:11
Save
Give Thanks
that-one-err0r
Crooked Cryptid
Theriotype: Cryptid
Experience: Otherkin
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 

I feel like most of these "kinnies" are similar to what the trans community calls "trenders"; people who are either misinformed or are faking it (sometimes even both). Most of them with the bombardment of types are mostly doing it for attention. They're trying to stand out and be special by saying "ooo look I'm all of these things" when in reality, if they are a therian or otherkin, they're most likely anywhere between one to three types. If I hear anyone call themselves a "kinnie", I'm most likely not going to believe them. But I would try to inform them about therianthropy and what it really is; what it means to people and how it's a big part of some of their lives.

Adam | It/He | 21 | Autistic
ISTJ-T | Chaotic Neutral
Otherkin | Fictionkin | Animalhearted

"As the boy layed there dormant,
all of his humanity drained into a murky puddle."
2019-08-04 19:38
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Member is Online
Support pup
Theriotype: Arabian Wolf
Connection: Psychological
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick 
.$team.

Hi,

(2019-08-04 5:00)Darkshifter2 Wrote:  what are ya'lls opinions on this new wave of kids who claim they're "kin" when really it's just for fun or something they relate to?

It's important to remember that everyone's experiences are valid, they just might be different from what you experience. Tongue

We have quite a few sites that try to explain what therianthropy actually is, so if people wanted to look it up, it's just a google search away.

What you can do is point out to people that you're not a therian because it's cool, but rather that you just are. Tongue Those who are not therians will move on to other, more interesting things soon enough.

LP,
Dusty

If you think I'm wrong just say so. Let's talk about it.
Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
2019-08-04 21:44
Save
Give Thanks
SadieCat29
Copy cat
Theriotype: Eldritch Cat
Experience: (therian?), Otherkin
Contribution: tick 

I think education and patience is the key. I hate to see teenagers get dismissed and seen as bandwagon hoppers, just because they're young and still figuring themselves out. Yes, most of them will probably go down a different path on their journey, but some won't. Some of them are actually young therians, and they need support and guidance. I'm sure most of us remember what it was like to be them once, young and uncertain.

The community is strong and stable enough to survive fads and phases.

Fanfiction saved my life, and opened my eyes, and made me who I am.
Kin. Poly. Pan. £@%& limits.

[Image: 4g96VWd.jpg]
2019-08-14 2:45
Save
Give Thanks
FanWarrior16
Curious Chimera
Theriotype: Chimera, Huldra, Pixie, Slender Demon & Xenomorph
Contribution: tick tick 

I agree with SadieCat29. Education and patience are very important. That's why it's important to be impartial and to ask questions. There will always be individuals that claim to be something or someone they aren't. However, through proper education you can get through to these people. When this happens they might stop pretending. You will also help others who aren't pretending find the answers they seek.
If you ever need a break from those sites and their inhabitants you're always welcome here.

Live in the present. Remember the past and fear not the future, for it doesn't exist and never shall. There is only now. - Saphira - The Inheritance Cycle
2019-08-14 22:02
Save
Give Thanks
batsandroses
New
Theriotype: Grey-headed flying fox
Contribution:

As someone who's had to interact with the "kinnies" on a regular basis for the sake of attempting to educate them on the culture and history of otherkin and therianthropy, the majority of them are uninformed children who are stubborn and refuse to admit that they've done anything wrong. They act like this community was invented on Tumblr as a coping mechanism and for shits and giggles rather than a spiritual community with a recorded history of almost half a century. It's insufferable. I can only hope that this "phase" falls away in a few years and things start to go back to normal.
2019-08-18 11:41
Save
Give Thanks
BearX
Therian Guide Staff
Prepping to Hibernate
Theriotype: Coastal Brown Bear
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
tick 
.$team.

I often see folks confidently tell me what therianthropy is or isn't despite the fact that even those of us in the community for decades still aren't sure.

I know the history of the therian community intimately but am not that familiar with the Otherkin community history. These days they are merge together and if you teach from the therian side you often get accused of misinformation because they aren't the same. The "identity" view comes from the Otherkin community, as do the ideas of kith VS kin. In the historical therian community, they were the same thing. So, I have often seen Therians run off because what they described "wasn't therianthropy" even though for the first 19 years of the community it totally would have been. It's frustrating.

[Image: bexarp.jpg]
TG Staff | Forum Admin
(Signature cobbled together by Me)
2019-08-18 12:46
Save
Give Thanks
LycanTheory
Banned
Theriotype:
Experience: Human
tick tick tick 

(2019-08-14 2:45)SadieCat29 Wrote:  I think education and patience is the key. I hate to see teenagers get dismissed and seen as bandwagon hoppers, just because they're young and still figuring themselves out. Yes, most of them will probably go down a different path on their journey, but some won't. Some of them are actually young therians, and they need support and guidance. I'm sure most of us remember what it was like to be them once, young and uncertain.

The community is strong and stable enough to survive fads and phases.

This ^^^^

The "problem" of young people trying on therianthropy to see if it fits or saying they're therian just to fit in has always been one that's self-corrected as these individuals are most likely to give up and move on after a while, if they truly don't share any fundamental experiences with us.

Barring the freak probability of a massive influx of these people into the community for some reason or other, I agree, we're more than stable enough to weather many fads and phases and in the unlikely event of a mass migration of non-therians who say they are, well, I'm confident that we can handle that too.

Lyc

2019-08-19 3:10
Save
Give Thanks