READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Kin and Spirit Guides: What's the Difference?
Tacosaurus
Fly on the wall
Theriotype: Panther
Experience: Therian
Contribution:

Kin and Spirit Guides: What's the Difference?
As of late, I have noticed some people on other sites (not TG) mixing up kin and spirit guides.

The largest difference?
Kin is an animal you identify as, and spirit guides are separate creatures that are not you. So, if you think you're therian, please ask yourself, is your animal side a separate being than you? I have seen a lot of people referring to their kintypes as completely different beings, giving them individual names and personalities. Even if you believe that you were xyz animal in a past life, you are still the same being as the animal you used to be. You're the same person, and nothing can change that.

But, if you still believe your "kin" is a different being than you despite reading this, than please, think on whether or not you're a therian. Of course, even if your spirit guide is not your kin, I have seen some people who have spirit guides who match the person's kintype, so don't feel completely off if you have a spirit guide.

I'm not sure if tis post made any sense or not, but thank you for reading.
2019-09-11 18:42
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Support pup
Theriotype: Arabian Wolf
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick 
.$team.

RE: Kin and Spirit Guides: What's the Difference?
Hi,

We made a Therian Talk about this...

@elinox explains it very well.

EDIT: The relevant part starts around the 8 minute mark.

LP,
Dusty

If you think I'm wrong just say so. Let's talk about it.
Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
(This post was last modified: 2019-09-12 21:02 by DustWolf.)
2019-09-11 19:52
Save
Give Thanks
Tacosaurus
Fly on the wall
Theriotype: Panther
Contribution:

oh, oops. I never really explored the channel much
2019-09-11 20:09
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Support pup
Theriotype: Arabian Wolf
Connection: Psychological
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick 
.$team.

All good. Plurality is important. Smile

LP,
Dusty

If you think I'm wrong just say so. Let's talk about it.
Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
2019-09-11 22:09
Save
Give Thanks
BearX
Therian Guide Staff
Prepping to Hibernate
Theriotype: Coastal Brown Bear
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
tick 
.$team.

(2019-09-11 18:42)Tacosaurus Wrote:  So, if you think you're therian, please ask yourself, is your animal side a separate being than you? I have seen a lot of people referring to their kintypes as completely different beings, giving them individual names and personalities.

Some therians have a dissociative experience of therianthropy, which causes their theriotype to seem like an independent personality, with it's own desires and emotions. I don't want to sleep through the winter, but I can feel the bear pushing me to do it. I'm just one guy, but of two minds. It is codified in Lenowill's shifting scale.
Shifts were seen as transitions into this dissociative mindset.

Traditionally, this was a totally accepted perspective. However, when the Otherkin community adopted the therian community and brought their definitions with them, this perspective became frowned upon. Now, that dissociative association is lost or seen as "roleplaying".

[Image: bexarp.jpg]
TG Staff | Forum Admin
(Signature cobbled together by Me)
(This post was last modified: 2019-09-12 13:31 by BearX.)
2019-09-12 13:30
Save
Give Thanks
Raz
Away
Rewr
Theriotype: Dragon, Therian
Experience: Therian, Otherkin

@BearX I experience this kind of shifting as well. I actually wasn't aware of this before, so thanks for the information.
2019-09-13 10:23
Save
Give Thanks
BearX
Therian Guide Staff
Prepping to Hibernate
Theriotype: Coastal Brown Bear
tick 
.$team.

(2019-09-13 10:23)Raz Wrote:  @BearX I experience this kind of shifting as well. I actually wasn't aware of this before, so thanks for the information.

Anytime. It's one of the topics I bristle over. I've been repeatedly told in the modern community that I should look into other communities because what I describe "isn't therianthropy"... well, it was for the first 20 years of the community, so...

I've even been specifically told not to talk about it at all in another community, because it could "confuse the youngsters" and "encourage roleplayers". So? It was quite common historically, and one of the things that made therianthropy what it is, and to see it systematically being erased is very frustrating. Especially when these changes effectively displace many of us who were there at the start as "not therians". Okay, if we're not therians, would those boosters of this meme please tell us what we are? We identify as, or so closely with as to be no different, some critter AND experience dissociative states where that animality overcomes our humanity. Where does the line get drawn?

A human who experiences animal instincts must be getting those instincts from somewhere, and that somewhere is often dissociative. Just listen to someone describe an intense shift -- much of the wording is similar to that of people who describe dissociative states.

We're still trying to figure out what therianthropy (and Otherkin, but I tend to focus on therianthropy since it's the community I started in) is and I feel that limiting it artificially in the face of objective experiences is the wrong path.

[Image: bexarp.jpg]
TG Staff | Forum Admin
(Signature cobbled together by Me)
2019-09-13 13:39
Save
Give Thanks
Raz
Away
Rewr
Theriotype: Dragon, Therian
Experience: Therian, Otherkin

@BearX

Sorry you've had to experience such things. That'd be one of the reasons I don't participate much in the general otherkin communities. That, and being grouped in with a bunch of other identities I can't relate with. I feel like older members in those communities are getting a bit excluded these days, because of youngsters who think they are mature enough to know everything or to think that they're some kind of spokeperson. Not that there's anything wrong with being a spokeperson, but they should be very careful and mindful of what they're preaching. Anyway, that's enough of me ranting.

Raz
2019-09-13 14:00
Save
Give Thanks