READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Is TikT0k Harming Therians?
WanderingForests
Pup
Theriotype: coyote, cat, rodent?, bird?, dryad?
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick 
.$team.

RE: Is TikT0k Harming Therians?

(2023-08-11 15:50)Lupus Ferox Wrote:  What's TikTok got to do with one's personal growth and evolution? Why nitpick on TikTok alone? There are so many who don't grasp us completely or make a fool out of themselves in other areas, as well... Let them be and don't pay any attention to them. How hard can that be?

@Alliana has a point, you know. There is such a thing like dissociative therianthropy.

Why bicker on things you can't control? After us, there's certainly going to be more TikToks or related, or worse. It's not like it's going to disappear by complaining over it.

I know it's not going to go away by complaining about it, that's not why this thread was started. This thread was started to get the opinions of other therians about this topic.

Also the reason they are mainly talking about TikTok is because that is certainly the most popular young therian platform and is where most other people are getting their information about therians.

Also, I was not informed about 'dissociated therianthropy'. Everyone I have talked to says you can always control shifts to some degree. I will look into that.

Run fast, be safe, live free.

Most birds don't realize their wings can fly until they fall, only to find themselves soaring.
(This post was last modified: 2023-08-11 23:17 by WanderingForests.)
2023-08-11 23:16
Save
Give Thanks
thoroughlyfoxd
New
Theriotype: Red Fox
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Contribution:

(2022-10-28 16:05)NovaFox Wrote:  I would say that it has the potential to both harm and benefit therians. There might be some people on it that mock therians, but there could also be therians on it that strive to educate people about therianthropy.

I agree! I think all social medias are a mixed bag, and the therian and otherkin communities on tiktok are no different. Some of its people jumping on a trend and some of its genuine.

sleepy cat the missile is eepy and ready for sleebs sleepy cat
2023-08-25 19:58
Save
Give Thanks
Alliana
Aloof werewolf
Theriotype: werewolf/jaguar
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team..$team..$team.

(2023-08-11 23:16)WanderingForests Wrote:  Also, I was not informed about 'dissociated therianthropy'. Everyone I have talked to says you can always control shifts to some degree. I will look into that.

Yeah, you can always ask @BearX on here, he knows a lot about it. Or me if you want but I have limited info on the subject despite experiencing it in extreme situations.

Avatar comes from my good friend Yvvki outside of TG. Smile Thank you so much for doing it!
(This post was last modified: 2023-08-26 1:39 by Alliana.)
2023-08-26 1:38
Save
Give Thanks
WanderingForests
Pup
.$team.

(2023-08-26 1:38)Alliana Wrote:  

(2023-08-11 23:16)WanderingForests Wrote:  Also, I was not informed about 'dissociated therianthropy'. Everyone I have talked to says you can always control shifts to some degree. I will look into that.

Yeah, you can always ask @BearX on here, he knows a lot about it. Or me if you want but I have limited info on the subject despite experiencing it in extreme situations.

That sounds like something that would make being a therian even more difficult to experience. Is it hard?

Most birds don't realize their wings can fly until they fall, only to find themselves soaring.
2023-08-26 18:00
Save
Give Thanks
Alliana
Aloof werewolf
Theriotype: werewolf/jaguar
tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team..$team..$team.

(2023-08-26 18:00)WanderingForests Wrote:  

That sounds like something that would make being a therian even more difficult to experience. Is it hard?

It can be, especially when I have gaps in memory when it happens. The latest one is me beating up a kid because they were mean to my best friend. I remember howling to the sky but not much else. When I "woke up" (regained consciousness), the kid was on the ground crying and I didn't know what happened to him. I was really confused and had to apologize to him.

Avatar comes from my good friend Yvvki outside of TG. Smile Thank you so much for doing it!
(This post was last modified: 2023-08-27 4:22 by Alliana.)
2023-08-27 4:20
Save
Give Thanks
WanderingForests
Pup
.$team.

(2023-08-27 4:20)Alliana Wrote:  

(2023-08-26 18:00)WanderingForests Wrote:  

It can be, especially when I have gaps in memory when it happens. The latest one is me beating up a kid because they were mean to my best friend. I remember howling to the sky but not much else. When I "woke up" (regained consciousness), the kid was on the ground crying and I didn't know what happened to him. I was really confused and had to apologize to him.

Wow. While that is bad, it's good that you defended your friend.

2023-08-27 14:43
Save
Give Thanks
Cuddie
Il cane italiano
Theriotype: Wolfdog
Contribution: tick 
.$team..$team.

I recently remembered one TikTok therian, where they is wearing an irregularly shaped dog mask sniffing a dog indoors. For reference, they put bold text on the video surrounded by attention signs: "!I'm not a zoophile!". I have nothing to say about it.

“Happiness has to be fought for."
2023-08-27 19:49
Save
Give Thanks
BearX
Therian Guide Staff
Prepping to Hibernate
Theriotype: Coastal Brown Bear
tick 
.$team.

(2023-08-26 18:00)WanderingForests Wrote:  That sounds like something that would make being a therian even more difficult to experience. Is it hard?

I wrote a rather lengthy essay on the topic for TG awhile back... An Essay on Dissociative Therianthropy

[Image: bexarp.jpg]
TG Staff | Forum Admin
(Signature cobbled together by Me)
2023-08-30 13:10
Save
Give Thanks
grays
Pup
Theriotype: Birds, dragon kintype..Avians.
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
.$team..$team.

Honestly, I think tiktok therians have kind of altered the definition of therianthropy. It went from being an experience, an identity to being an aesthetic. Something that can only be perceived one way.
As a younger therian thats been awaked for almost two years now, I actually did not find my therianthropy from tiktok. I found it from doing legitimate research, from doing internal seeking, looking into myself and my experiences. And I found that the therian identity fit me.
While many young kids see people like Opal or other therians and think "Ooh, I get to act like an animal and it's an acceptable thing?? Whatt that's so cool!" Or they do minimal research before suddenly deciding they are a therian.
I saw a person I was friends with on tiktok, who I was sure was therian, post about their experience.
They claimed that therianthropy was a choice for them, that they felt they had a lack of culture or meaning in their life and therianthropy brought both of those things.
so.
I've been posting on tiktok stuff like quadrobics, gear making, and talking about other "romanticized" parts of therianthropy, but not because I wanted to be a "better therian". I wanted my message to get spread.
Any time I talk about legitimate experiences I have as a therian, it gets shut down by other "new" therians.
A very good chunk of these "tiktok therians" are under the age of 12. That's really young to be submersing yourself into an identity.
Like a lot of new therians believe that mental shifts work like plurality. Where you forget what happens or have amnesia.
While I've had amnesia relating to my therianthropy, I think most therians can agree that mental shifts don't work like that...
Or the fact I've been put down for not overworking myself doing quads, or tried to be "famous like Opal". It's actually a beating to be on therian tiktok sometimes.

Another important part of this discussion is the misinformation that gets spread outside of our community. A lot of little kids will go on tiktok, find therians, and just decide they are mentally ill without doing genuine research or talking to any actual therians.
People with larger platforms than our own are spreading messages that absolutely don't need to be spread, which is why most normies will think of therians as mentally ill. That or the fact psychological therianthropy exists.
I'm sure that if maybe half of these kids actually understood therianthropy they would not be saying these things.
The part that worries me is that these kids voices are valued much higher than many therians are. So when people talk about misinformation or spread just blatanly wrong things about therianthropy, that stuff gets heard before the actual facts.

Overall though, I think it's a balance. Tiktok has helped a lot of people figure out their place in the world, whether it be therian or not. It's just that some people are not helping.
There are genuine therians on social media that are pretty popular and actually state the facts and educate people on therianthropy.

But yeah I don't like how we've romanticized and put standards on therianthropy. That's really weird.

Tell me I'm forgiven, say you'll always be mine.

Say that everything is over, tell me I'm fine.

2023-08-30 16:23
Save
Give Thanks
WanderingForests
Pup
.$team.

(2023-08-30 13:10)BearX Wrote:  

(2023-08-26 18:00)WanderingForests Wrote:  That sounds like something that would make being a therian even more difficult to experience. Is it hard?

I wrote a rather lengthy essay on the topic for TG awhile back... An Essay on Dissociative Therianthropy

Thanks!! I'll definitely read it. Smile

2023-08-30 20:41
Save
Give Thanks