READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

"Identifying"
LycanTheory
Banned
Theriotype:
Experience: Human
tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 

RE: "Identifying"

(2021-11-09 19:20)Azi_MexyWolf Wrote:  I despise the term "Identify", or "Identify As". You ARE! I AM a Mexican Wolf [therian]. People get hung up on the requirement that therians MUST say Identify As. I IDENTIFY as Male. I am a Therian.

AFAIK the "identify as" concept was wrought by Tumblr and I think everyone who was on Tumblr or who came from there ran with it. This was part of a much broader push to reduce the
nuanced individuality of a person to a social construct such as gender.

I do not identity as a gender, nor a species or a sexual orientation, nor an ethnicity or a religion because to me, these are but small fractions which make up the whole of identity and the idea that I can be reduced to a fraction of myself is insulting.

QueerKat Wrote:What happens if this isn't me, and I feel like I've taken up space in a community I don't belong to?

Community depends largely on how well different individuals come together and function together as a group. I am not sure why anyone would feel they didn't belong to a community just because they aren't a certain type of individual.

I know that the internet is filling up with echo chambers that will push those who aren't the same as them out and that can be said of some therian "communities" outside of here but it isn't us and it isn't any reasonable community.

Lyc

(This post was last modified: 2021-11-10 0:50 by LycanTheory.)
2021-11-10 0:27
Save
Give Thanks
Tornir
Therian Guide Staff
Facsimile felid
Theriotype: Leopard
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team.

(2021-11-10 0:27)LycanTheory Wrote:  

(2021-11-09 19:20)Azi_MexyWolf Wrote:  I despise the term "Identify", or "Identify As". You ARE! I AM a Mexican Wolf [therian]. People get hung up on the requirement that therians MUST say Identify As. I IDENTIFY as Male. I am a Therian.

AFAIK the "identify as" concept was wrought by Tumblr and I think everyone who was on Tumblr or who came from there ran with it. This was part of a much broader push to reduce the nuanced individuality of a person to a social construct such as gender.
////

I think we need to be very careful about policing language. People are going to find information on how to refer to themselves and their experiences on places like Tumblr that may have been shaped by an agenda that isn't immediately obvious to a n00b. What they want to say, and what we think we're hearing, may be two different things, and we won't find that out if we bite people for "uttering a heresy".

2021-11-10 11:51
Save
Give Thanks
QueerKat
Witchy Cat Dragon
Theriotype: Cat-Dragon
Experience: Therian, (otherkin?)
Contribution:
.$team.

I appreciate the direct answers to those questions from you both, @DustWolf and @LycanTheory . Being able to address those self-doubts and get feedback is really helpful for those who don't have that established sense of self-trust and confidence. I know questions like that can seem weirdly obvious and possibly naïve, but I cannot overstate the significance of honoring those curiosities with genuine care and honest responses.

In that sense, I definitely second @Tornir 's comment about policing language. It's something that's actually come up a lot in interpersonal relationships and conversations with my housemates. I used to be scared to ask questions about what words meant or what someone's intentions were because I thought I was missing something that should be obvious. Can easily be attributed to neurodivergence and/or childhood trauma and growing up in a family/culture that wasn't very nurturing or helpful when it came to vulnerable curiosity. But I know I'm not the only one who's experienced that and who feels that way, and I've even seen the benefits of having meta conversations with others that just genuinely have different associations for words and their intentions.

Something that's helped me since realizing these things is to ask myself what I think someone meant by the words they used, ask them if it's what they meant, and offer the space for them to agree or correct my interpretation of their words. When it comes to language around identity, it can be even more complicated and stressful because of how pro-conformity and anti-self expression our current global society is. Despite the promotion of "individuality" and "standing apart from the crowd" propaganda, in all actuality, we are still being taught that we should fit into easily categorized boxes, fitting into specific expectations and following a life trajectory that blends well with the structured capitalist framework. And when movements or self-recognition becomes well recognized and respected enough, that language is often co-opted in a way to fit it into a "new" box - but a box all the same (think of how "non-binary" as an identity has started to look more like a "third gender", which isn't inherently bad, it just speaks to my point).

All of that is to say that the labels and language we use is a means to an end. We're trying to connect with each other and find people that can help us connect with ourselves and the world, and in return, provide the experiences we gain to people in the future who will be looking for the same resources. In order to embrace that, I fully believe that deconstructing language and recognizing it as an imperfect but necessary vehicle for communication and self-realization is imperative.

Kat | They/It | Cat-Dragon Witch
⳾*⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*⳾

[Image: UC6LPAAm.png]

⳾*⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*⳾
Art by Katzun
(This post was last modified: 2021-11-10 14:23 by QueerKat.)
2021-11-10 14:22
Save
Give Thanks
Ishvala
The Bookworm
Theriotype: Wolf
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
silvertick 
.$team.

I think that the words "I identify as" are a simple way of explaining parts of someone's identity. No more, and no less. I don't think that "identifying" by itself is inherently a negative thing. In fact, we're all identifying every day with or without Therianthropy as apart of it. Since at the end of the day, everything that encompasses who we are is an identity in and of itself, and that identity is...well...identifying. Tumblr gets a lot of bad reputation (and in most cases for good reason) but I think this is one of those things people hate just to separate themselves from tumblr instead of disliking it for any deeper meaning. It's just a turn of phrase, and it won't hurt us to use it. As Lycan said, - we're so much more than just one part of something.
(This post was last modified: 2021-11-10 15:15 by Ishvala.)
2021-11-10 15:13
Save
Give Thanks
Alone
Away
Membership declined
Theriotype:

(2021-11-09 4:29)LycanTheory Wrote:  It is imperative, if we hope or aspire for humanity to survive itself, we must start teaching young people to go against the grain again and be themselves, genuinely, without regard for what their peers or their neighbors or the kid down the street thinks.

We have got to stand against cancel culture.

We have got to stand against conformity.

We have got to convince young people that their self worth is not contingent upon internet clout or popularity.

We have got to stop babying young people and start forging them into strong, confident, independent adults again.

Lyc

I whole heartedly agree with this.

(2021-11-10 0:27)LycanTheory Wrote:  

AFAIK the "identify as" concept was wrought by Tumblr and I think everyone who was on Tumblr or who came from there ran with it. This was part of a much broader push to reduce the
nuanced individuality of a person to a social construct such as gender.

When I first joined the therian community on FB, saying "I am ___" wasn't okay to say. I used to say "I am" until I got corrected and ridiculed idk how many times before I finally stopped. I was under the impression that it wasn't PC in the therian community, I now know it's fine but old habits die hard but I'm working on it. I don't like saying "I identify as" either. Yes my theriotype is my identity but it's not the only part of my identity.

(2021-11-10 15:13)Ishvala Wrote:  I think that the words "I identify as" are a simple way of explaining parts of someone's identity. No more, and no less. I don't think that "identifying" by itself is inherently a negative thing. In fact, we're all identifying every day with or without Therianthropy as apart of it. Since at the end of the day, everything that encompasses who we are is an identity in and of itself, and that identity is...well...identifying. Tumblr gets a lot of bad reputation (and in most cases for good reason) but I think this is one of those things people hate just to separate themselves from tumblr instead of disliking it for any deeper meaning. It's just a turn of phrase, and it won't hurt us to use it. As Lycan said, - we're so much more than just one part of something.

I guess it really depends on the person. I can see from all sides but I personally rather say "I am" rather than "I identify as"

(This post was last modified: 2021-11-10 16:02 by Alone.)
2021-11-10 15:39
Save
Give Thanks
Ishvala
The Bookworm
Theriotype: Wolf
Connection: Psychological
silvertick 
.$team.

(2021-11-10 15:39)Jadeeyedwere Wrote:  I guess it really depends on the person. I can see from all sides but I personally rather say "I am" rather than "I identify as"

To each their own right?
I think that's the takeaway message from this thread, really.

2021-11-10 16:15
Save
Give Thanks
BearX
Therian Guide Staff
Prepping to Hibernate
Theriotype: Coastal Brown Bear
tick 
.$team.

(2021-11-10 15:39)Jadeeyedwere Wrote:  I guess it really depends on the person. I can see from all sides but I personally rather say "I am" rather than "I identify as"

That's what I typically do.... "I am a bear" rather than some other more loaded phrase. Identify pulls in associated baggage dealing with identity politics and such and I would rather folks know that I simply feel that I am a bear, that I should have physically been a bear, and that's it.

I don't identify as a bear, any more than I identify as being bald, or having hazel eyes. It is what I AM. I can no more control it than I can control my digestion or my eye color.

[Image: bexarp.jpg]
TG Staff | Forum Admin
(Signature cobbled together by Me)
(This post was last modified: 2021-11-10 17:48 by BearX.)
2021-11-10 17:47
Save
Give Thanks
AlphaLex
Away
Universal Goddess
Theriotype: Wolf/Werewolf Alien/Cheetah/Snake
Contribution: tick tick tick 
silvertick 

i definetely use "i am" more than "i indentify as" because its me..its what i am..its how i am..i am ME therefore i am WOLF or werewolf or cheetah or whatever. its more comfortable using that and not to mention way more of a natural feeling. bit like what bear mentioned here overall.

[Image: goddess_2.png]

A wise man will be found alone..but a weak man will be found in a crowd
PFP & Signature: AlphaLex[myself]
2021-11-10 17:55
Save
Give Thanks
Alone
Away
Membership declined
Theriotype:

(2021-11-10 17:47)BearX Wrote:  That's what I typically do.... "I am a bear" rather than some other more loaded phrase.

Right. "I am" is so much easier to say and even type out than "I identify as".

(2021-11-10 17:47)BearX Wrote:  Identify pulls in associated baggage dealing with identity politics and such and I would rather folks know that I simply feel that I am a bear, that I should have physically been a bear, and that's it.

I don't identify as a bear, any more than I identify as being bald, or having hazel eyes. It is what I AM. I can no more control it than I can control my digestion or my eye color.

BIG agree!

2021-11-10 17:56
Save
Give Thanks
elicat
Therian Guide Staff
anam fallain
Theriotype: Cat
tick tick tick tick 
.$team.

I think the "I identify as" came about vs the simpler "I am" because many non-therians have an easier time understanding and accepting that. Saying "I am" without the obvious caveat of "but not physically" makes people assume you mean literally.

[Image: YJKCUsm.png]

cat | 42 | writer & published author | scuba diver | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | INFJ | eclectic Wiccan witch
2021-11-10 18:08
Save
Give Thanks