READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Dino's list of misconceptions; what therianthropy is definitely not
Dinocanid
Elephant in the room
Theriotype: Wolf, Dromaeosaurus, Western Dragon shapeshifter
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Contribution: tick tick tick 

Dino's list of misconceptions; what therianthropy is definitely not
This will be a huge W.I.P so bear with me as I update this over the days. Feel free to message me any misconceptions so I can add them to the list!
UPDATE: Added a Your Mileage May Vary part to the post. This includes misconceptions that aren't true for a majority of kin but may be for a few individuals.

-Disclaimer, this post includes otherkin as well. If you see me say kin it includes both therians and otherkin-

1. We cannot under any circumstances shapeshift.
2. We don't have superpowers
3. Therianthropy and otherkinity is not a religion.
4. Not all therianthropy and otherkinity is spiritual. There are psychologicals out there.
5. Not all kin get phantom limbs.
6. Not all kin shift
7. There are kin that are older
8. Being kin is not solely a wolf thing. Wolves are extremely common types, but so are foxes, dragons, and felines.
9. It is not currently believed to be genetic.
10. Most kin don't know their kintypes right away. It can take a few years.
11. Being kin is so much more than just feeling a connection. It's identifying as and not with.
12. There is no underlying government or law to follow.
13. It isn't new
14. It isn't a teen trend
15. Wearing tail, collars, harnesses, etc. Is not a kin thing. Some may do it to express their kin side but it is in no way required.
16. It is not the same thing as being a furry. Furry is a fanbase.
17. It is not a gender.
18. It is not a tumblrism. A majority of kin aren't on tumblr's kin community. Tumblr is a trollfest so tread lightly.
19. Currently, there is no explanation of what causes therianthropy. It's up to personal interpretation.
20. It isn't a choice. Nobody can just wake up and say "hey i want to be a therian today"
21. It is most definitely not the same as Lycanthropy or similar conditions.
22. Therianthropy/Otherkinity of itself is not a mental illness/disorder; it's an identity.
-YMMV-
1. Kin don't only date people with the same kintype. Most cases are by coincidence and it just isn't that easy to find others.
2. A person's kintype does not affect how they act towards a person with another kintype. IE: zebrakin hating lionkin or demonkin hating angelkin
3. A majority of kin do not believe they are currently their kintype

(2015-08-03 3:21)wingedkitty Wrote:  There may not be a huge number of them, but there are mentally ill therians & otherkin who do literally believe that they are their kintype. Even if they aren't really As far as I see it, it would probably lie within a psychological explanation like an identity disorder or in some forms of psychosis where there are delusions involved. I don't consider those kin identities any less valid than neurotypical ones. Such individuals might not believe that they are physically human.

4. Not all kin are mentally ill. Some are, but not a vast majority.

-more to come-

When I was just a kitten, they said I'd be a gem; but now that I'm a Cheshire cat it's odd how I am..!

[Image: 214y2dx.png]

My Deviantart
My Furaffinity
My tumblr
(This post was last modified: 2015-09-18 19:12 by Dinocanid.)
2015-08-02 15:10
Save
Give Thanks
Kewaado
Princess Kiwi
Theriotype: Feline
Experience: Therian
Contribution: tick 

RE: Dino's list of misconceptions; what therianthropy is definitely not
*Applause*
Hello
2015-08-02 15:28
Save
Give Thanks
Dinocanid
Elephant in the room

ty ^^ I thought I'd help any newcomers who aren't entirely clear on the subject or maybe picked up some misinformation while searching.

When I was just a kitten, they said I'd be a gem; but now that I'm a Cheshire cat it's odd how I am..!

My Deviantart
My Furaffinity
My tumblr
2015-08-02 15:31
Save
Give Thanks
Kewaado
Princess Kiwi
Theriotype: Feline
Experience: Therian

I wonder if this thread could be pinned or stickied? Its a really simple, easy-to-understand, straight-to-the-point explanation of what it is or isn't, just to avoid confusion. I think that could be a really helpful thing for people who aren't sure if they are therians or not. Smile
2015-08-02 16:06
Save
Give Thanks
Dinocanid
Elephant in the room

I'd have to ask a mod for that, I think.

My Deviantart
My Furaffinity
My tumblr
2015-08-03 1:50
Save
Give Thanks
wingedkitty
Nature Prince
Theriotype: housecat, fox, angel, naiad/dryad, fictionkin

This is a great list! I also am glad it includes that it's not new, and that it's not a tumblrism, although I will mention one thing. The second point: "2. We don't believe we are currently that creature. We know we are human." is under the assumption that all kin are neurotypical. I personally believe it would be best moved to the YMMV section? (with an explanation if it may rise questions there) There may not be a huge number of them, but there are are mentally ill therians & otherkin who do literally believe that they are their kintype. Even if they aren't really, it is phrased as "we don't believe", so that wouldn't necessarily be true for anyone. Just thought I'd mention that!
(This post was last modified: 2015-08-03 2:48 by wingedkitty.)
2015-08-03 2:47
Save
Give Thanks
Dinocanid
Elephant in the room

Oh I didn't know that. I could move it there. What would the explanation be? I'd like to go in depth if possible.

My Deviantart
My Furaffinity
My tumblr
(This post was last modified: 2015-08-03 3:17 by Dinocanid.)
2015-08-03 3:13
Save
Give Thanks
wingedkitty
Nature Prince

I'm not sure how much more in depth I could get, since I don't have any personal experience with it. As far as I see it, it would probably lie within a psychological explanation like an identity disorder or in some forms of psychosis where there are delusions involved. I don't consider those kin identities any less valid than neurotypical ones. Such individuals might not believe that they are physically human.
2015-08-03 3:21
Save
Give Thanks
Dinocanid
Elephant in the room

That's alright ^^ Would you mind if I add your post to #2 as a quote so I don't have to retype it?

My Deviantart
My Furaffinity
My tumblr
2015-08-03 3:27
Save
Give Thanks
wingedkitty
Nature Prince

that's fine haha! xD i'm not sure if i really worded it that well but i tried my best
2015-08-03 3:33
Save
Give Thanks