This will be a huge W.I.P so bear with me as I update this over the days. Feel free to message me any misconceptions so I can add them to the list!
UPDATE: Added a Your Mileage May Vary part to the post. This includes misconceptions that aren't true for a majority of kin but may be for a few individuals.
-Disclaimer, this post includes otherkin as well. If you see me say kin it includes both therians and otherkin-
1. We cannot under any circumstances shapeshift.
2. We don't have superpowers
3. Therianthropy and otherkinity is not a religion.
4. Not all therianthropy and otherkinity is spiritual. There are psychologicals out there.
5. Not all kin get phantom limbs.
6. Not all kin shift
7. There are kin that are older
8. Being kin is not solely a wolf thing. Wolves are extremely common types, but so are foxes, dragons, and felines.
9. It is not currently believed to be genetic.
10. Most kin don't know their kintypes right away. It can take a few years.
11. Being kin is so much more than just feeling a connection. It's identifying as and not with.
12. There is no underlying government or law to follow.
13. It isn't new
14. It isn't a teen trend
15. Wearing tail, collars, harnesses, etc. Is not a kin thing. Some may do it to express their kin side but it is in no way required.
16. It is not the same thing as being a furry. Furry is a fanbase.
17. It is not a gender.
18. It is not a tumblrism. A majority of kin aren't on tumblr's kin community. Tumblr is a trollfest so tread lightly.
19. Currently, there is no explanation of what causes therianthropy. It's up to personal interpretation.
20. It isn't a choice. Nobody can just wake up and say "hey i want to be a therian today"
21. It is most definitely not the same as Lycanthropy or similar conditions.
22. Therianthropy/Otherkinity of itself is not a mental illness/disorder; it's an identity.
1. Kin don't only date people with the same kintype. Most cases are by coincidence and it just isn't that easy to find others.
2. A person's kintype does not affect how they act towards a person with another kintype. IE: zebrakin hating lionkin or demonkin hating angelkin
3. A majority of kin do not believe they are currently their kintype
(2015-08-03 3:21)wingedkitty Wrote: There may not be a huge number of them, but there are mentally ill therians & otherkin who do literally believe that they are their kintype. Even if they aren't really As far as I see it, it would probably lie within a psychological explanation like an identity disorder or in some forms of psychosis where there are delusions involved. I don't consider those kin identities any less valid than neurotypical ones. Such individuals might not believe that they are physically human.
4. Not all kin are mentally ill. Some are, but not a vast majority.
-more to come-