READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Abyss's theory to therianthropy
Abysmal.
Shapeshifting fiend
Theriotype: Trollish shapeshifter (see bio)
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team.

Abyss's theory to therianthropy
I'm not quite to sure how to start this post, so I'm just going to skip to the meat and gravy of it. So if anyone's read my journal, you would know I've befriended a human in a past life as a Cryptid, and my species has a lot of symbolism directly written into it which has caused a few things. I've come to the conclusion that because I befriended a human I've been cursed/blessed to be reborn as a human. This is my personal explaination for myself in this specific life, anyway. As for others, I have a belief that combines a lot of theories... I believe it's possible therianthropy can stem from a variety of reasons instead of just solidly one or two. For example, it's been documented the transgender identity is its own form of neurodivergence due to how the brain emits different signals... It's quite possible this is possible for a lot of therians as well. It's possible a lot of us are born with a brain that simply feels awkward stating it's human, and could potentially seek out other sources to identify with because it feels more right to the person. My ex has also done research papers on autism in afab people and has found one of the symptoms to be feeling disconnected to humanity... While they don't identify with therianthropy by any means, they used to speak so highly about jellyfish, and talk about how they wish they were a jellyfish, although it's potiental this behaviour is escapism due to the stressors our human society has put on us.

Another psychological theory I have being related to imprints. I know as a kid I was imprinted on... I take a lot of canine like forms, and throughout my entire life, I was practically raised by dogs, having one constantly by my side. I even had a wolfdog as a child. Adding onto this as a shapeshifter, I remember since I was a kid I was often met with media involving beings that could shift in a way. At first, it was werewolves, but while I cannot remember, I do know I started to make characters that could shapeshift. At first they were characters meant to represent specific parts of my life... Specifically, shapeshifting would represent how I've never known myself. I've done tons of searching, but it's like I cannot find myself. I don't know myself personality wise. But then I felt myself relating to these characters more and more. Believe it or not, when I was first met with what used to be my persona, I felt immediate connection with them and began to identify as them. I thought this might of been normal, up until I found out about Therianthropy and how it often intersects with the furry fandom (a lot of furries I've found identify directly as their persona).

I also believe in therianthropy being able to be a traumagenic thing. While therianthropy and trauma don't have a direct link, people with trauma and/or PTSD often find themselves feeling out of place, and/or there's been circumstances in their life that have led up to a point of identifying with a animal because of experiences (example being feeling "caged" by society, so they identify with a dog due to how dogs are often horribly mistreated)

As for spiritual, there's two I solidly believe it.

Obviously, I believe in recarnation/rebirth. Rebirth was written into my being, I may not be the personification of rebirth, but this is my story. Being reborn life after life, sometimes things can go awry.. leaving the soul un-content with its current form. A lot of the time, older Therians will find themselves adjust to this life.

Otherwise, I believe in walk-ins. Theres a lot of therians I know that have lived relatively normal lives up until a animals soul decided to walk into their life and body, and inhabit it together. Obviously this can be chaos. This usually is the result of there not being enough bodies to provide to souls.

What do you guys think? Do you have similar beliefs, or different beliefs?

[Image: IMG-1163.png]

Abyss||20||Neurodivergent|He/They||DM friendly

PFP is by TheUnknownGame! Thank you so much :3
2024-03-23 17:38
Save
Give Thanks
Vintage
Sword with a 'Z'
Theriotype: Wolf, Zhuard...horse & crow kith
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team.

RE: Abyss's theory to therianthropy
I believe you may have heard from me before on this topic. I do believe strongly in the last two points (the spiritual points) you brought up, as both of those points made relate directly to my own experience. Reincarnation, Incarnation, the 'shape' of one's soul, and the walk-in phenomena.

I also do believe that a dissonance can stem from a sense of trauma, but when the trauma is healed or resolved, it's a toss up whether an individual will feel any ties to therianthropy anymore. This has caused some unrest in the community in the past for a bit of time concerning therianthropy origins. Ultimately it boiled down to the difference between psychological and spiritual therians.

_
-
**Timber wolf therian-- Zhuard-- horse/crow hearted**

*~Being kin is a journey. See through the challenges and speak on the revelations.*

-Deviantart/Tumblr: Thebridgebeyond-
2024-03-23 18:54
Save
Give Thanks
Abysmal.
Shapeshifting fiend
Theriotype: Trollish shapeshifter (see bio)
Contribution: tick tick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team.

(2024-03-23 18:54)Vintage Wrote:  I believe you may have heard from me before on this topic. I do believe strongly in the last two points (the spiritual points) you brought up, as both of those points made relate directly to my own experience. Reincarnation, Incarnation, the 'shape' of one's soul, and the walk-in phenomena.

I also do believe that a dissonance can stem from a sense of trauma, but when the trauma is healed or resolved, it's a toss up whether an individual will feel any ties to therianthropy anymore. This has caused some unrest in the community in the past for a bit of time concerning therianthropy origins. Ultimately it boiled down to the difference between psychological and spiritual therians.

You are quite right about the trauma part, but I have seen Therians here that have trauma based reasoning and despite being like 30+, they still identify with it.

[Image: IMG-1163.png]

Abyss||20||Neurodivergent|He/They||DM friendly

PFP is by TheUnknownGame! Thank you so much :3
2024-03-23 19:20
Save
Give Thanks
Vintage
Sword with a 'Z'
Theriotype: Wolf, Zhuard...horse & crow kith
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
.$team..$team..$team.

(2024-03-23 19:20)Abysmal. Wrote:  

(2024-03-23 18:54)Vintage Wrote:  I believe you may have heard from me before on this topic. I do believe strongly in the last two points (the spiritual points) you brought up, as both of those points made relate directly to my own experience. Reincarnation, Incarnation, the 'shape' of one's soul, and the walk-in phenomena.

You are quite right about the trauma part, but I have seen Therians here that have trauma based reasoning and despite being like 30+, they still identify with it.

Right. I'm sure for many, therianthropy is something that will be with them during the course of their lifetime.

_
-
**Timber wolf therian-- Zhuard-- horse/crow hearted**

*~Being kin is a journey. See through the challenges and speak on the revelations.*

-Deviantart/Tumblr: Thebridgebeyond-
2024-03-23 19:58
Save
Give Thanks