READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

A simple theory
Thorveim
Alone in the crowd
Theriotype: werewolf
Experience: Otherkin
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick 

A simple theory
Just something I thought of, and I'd like to get some opinions on it Tongue

As you probably know, puberty changes a lot of stuff, and the brain is no exception; so, I wonder if this "rewiring" could cause theriantropy in a person that wasn't a therian before.

It may sound a bit absurd, but I got myself out of this period considering myself a totally different person than what I was before, so why not?
2015-08-02 21:41
Save
Give Thanks
Louvel
As Above, So Below
Theriotype: Yukon Wolf/Melanistic Leopard/FallenAngelKin
Experience: Therian, Otherkin

RE: A simple theory
Quite possibly, like many things like autism, add, adhd that develop either in the first few years of life or in adolescent puberty. Could be quite possible.

As above, so below, as within, so without, as the universe, so the soul…
~Hermes Trismegistus
2015-08-02 21:46
Save
Give Thanks
Dinocanid
Elephant in the room
Theriotype: Wolf, Dromaeosaurus, Western Dragon shapeshifter

Your brain does go through a few changes during puberty so it is possible that it could unlock a part that just wasn't entirely present before. If that person was already a therian before, then it could lead to more types. I know I always felt somewhat canine but the dinosaur and dragon weren't always there. The behavior just didn't exist until a few years ago when my puberty stage was at it's highest (10-13 years old)

When I was just a kitten, they said I'd be a gem; but now that I'm a Cheshire cat it's odd how I am..!

[Image: 214y2dx.png]

My Deviantart
My Furaffinity
My tumblr
2015-08-02 21:48
Save
Give Thanks
LycanTheory
Banned
Theriotype:
Experience: Human
tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 

This was one of the topics that proved interesting at a therianthropy discussion panel I attended not too long ago. It was noted that everyone in the room aside from one guy discovered their therianthropy around this same transitional phase in life. I believe that the statistics would hint to a direct correlation between puberty and one's therianthropy becoming more prominent. Our own in-house poll seems to back this up https://forums.therian-guide.com/showthread.php?tid=1479&pid=31970
(This post was last modified: 2015-08-03 22:10 by DustWolf.)
2015-08-03 0:30
Save
Give Thanks
Thorveim
Alone in the crowd

Seems pretty much confirmed then Smile
2015-08-05 21:17
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Support pup
Theriotype: Arabian Wolf
Experience: Therian
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick 
.$team.

You could also say that the therianthropy has been there all along, but has only become prominent in our lives after it was "awakened". The evidence does not deny that possibility.

I've always thought of therianthropy as a much more "from-birth" kind of thing. I've done some studies and have proven that true therianthropy cannot be acquired or induced later in life, which would seem to indicate that it's either genetic or caused by early childhood experiences.

LP,
Dusty

If you think I'm wrong just say so. Let's talk about it.
Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
2015-08-06 0:06
Save
Give Thanks
Neema
Away
Bull of Baboons
Theriotype: Striped hyena & Olive baboon

It very well could be, though I'm not sure what would induce it while the brain is going through that change.
I've also considered it possible to be involuntarily trauma-induced for some people. That could possibly be another way.

But also keep in mind that many of us, myself included, have felt this way since before we were teenagers. So let's not say it's confirmed just yet haha, therianthropy still has a long way to go in regards to discovering the cause.
2015-08-06 2:52
Save
Give Thanks
Thorveim
Alone in the crowd

Never implied it was the only cause Accalia, but that it could be ONE of the causes^^

Of course I am not denying that most feel something is off from the beginning. I think more of it as another possible origin for theriantropy.

As for what you said Dusty, that is a good way to see it; theriantropy could be there from the beginning, only not expressing itself in any meaningful way before later in life; But I have no idea of how we could verify either of these two points of view :/
2015-08-06 18:43
Save
Give Thanks
Dinocanid
Elephant in the room
Theriotype: Wolf, Dromaeosaurus, Western Dragon shapeshifter

(2015-08-06 18:43)Thorveim Wrote:  Never implied it was the only cause Accalia, but that it could be ONE of the causes^^

Of course I am not denying that most feel something is off from the beginning. I think more of it as another possible origin for theriantropy.

As for what you said Dusty, that is a good way to see it; theriantropy could be there from the beginning, only not expressing itself in any meaningful way before later in life; But I have no idea of how we could verify either of these two points of view :/

The only effective way to test it would be to take a baby therian and examine it throughout the years; which is pretty impossible lol.

When I was just a kitten, they said I'd be a gem; but now that I'm a Cheshire cat it's odd how I am..!

[Image: 214y2dx.png]

My Deviantart
My Furaffinity
My tumblr
2015-08-06 18:54
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Support pup
Theriotype: Arabian Wolf
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick 
.$team.

(2015-08-06 18:54)Dinocanid Wrote:  The only effective way to test it would be to take a baby therian and examine it throughout the years; which is pretty impossible lol.

Well it is possible to examine the behavior of therians and nontherians in different age groups, who are either right or wrong about their therianthropy. That gives you pieces of the puzzle and you can then conclude based on that.

I've tried giving two nontherian teenagers every incentive to try to "become therians", by being open about my wolf therianthropy while being their rolemodel. One of them effectively adopted an animal-like identity by associating himself with wolverine and speaking in admiration of animal traits. Neither of them developed anything remotely like true therianthropy (our inside-out understanding of animals). My sample size is small, but you could say it proves that people cannot become therians by choice.

Add to that that therians each know ourselves. True that's a subjective experience, but we can try to be honest with ourselves and compare notes.

LP,
Dusty

If you think I'm wrong just say so. Let's talk about it.
Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
2015-08-06 19:05
Save
Give Thanks