READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Shifters disease; What is it, and How do we get it?
Abysmal.
Shapeshifting fiend
Theriotype: Trollish shapeshifter (see bio)
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team.

RE: Shifters disease; What is it, and How do we get it?

(2024-01-06 23:48)WolfThing Wrote:  @B3W1tch3dSparr0w

My intention was not to put words in your mouth at all. Just sharing my thoughts on the content. All good here, and I do understand being concerned with false experiences. I just stand at the ready to defend spiritual therianrhropy and the notion that we can gain control of our experiences....even though no one asked me to ?. I'm just a voice of many voices on here to choose from. I have no issue with you.

Alright, just wasn't too sure with how you stood for yourself. I am also a spiritual therian.

[Image: IMG-1163.png]

Abyss||20||Neurodivergent|He/They||DM friendly

PFP is by TheUnknownGame! Thank you so much :3
2024-01-07 1:21
Save
Give Thanks
Siris
Shaker of stick
Theriotype: Kitsune
.$team.

(2024-01-06 15:25)WolfThing Wrote:  

(2024-01-06 10:38)Siris Wrote:  As with everything, in good moderation I agree. Shifter's disease isn't a new concept though and has been an observed phenomena for a long while now. And while I will say yes, meditating into a shifted state is useful that's not what this is about. It has more to do with forcing or tricking yourself into feeling something (not always intentionally) and thus misleading yourself. The point here is be critical of yourself and take the time to think and study yourself through. Really this is less for the benefit of those of us who have been around for a while and more for the younger members who may feel they have to fit into what ever mold they precieve and wanting to try something out is all fine and good but I think we can all agree delusion will only lead to bigger problems later.

Oh don't get me wrong I get it. But there are also people who may feel there is a stigma for even wanting to shift intentionally or having spiritual ties to their shifting. My 2 cents is for those young ones who may feel alinated in that way and hey...any adult who feels that way too.

On maintaining balance, we are in total agreement.

Certainly more than fair.

2024-01-07 7:56
Save
Give Thanks
Tdae
visitor
Theriotype: n/a
Experience: Human
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 

I've been thinking about this topic of the authenticity of experience and shifter's disease being compared to medical students' disease. A doctor wrote about his experience:

Quote:Fear of death lies at the heart of both medical student syndrome and hypochondriasis in general. As medical professionals, we are confronted with death in our work regardless of which field we wind up in. With passing years and added perspective, however, the depth of my fear has diminished to a significantly shallower, more manageable level.

https://www.aamc.org/news/i-contracted-medical-student-syndrome-you-probably-will-too

Fear of death. I'm moved by the intensity of feeling expressed here. Syndrome. Shifter's syndrome is more descriptive and accurate. The doctor's commentary suggests to me that shifter's syndrome could also have existential undertones. I relate it to being a social animal. Your group is your identity. I think it's human instinct. But identity isn't the same thing as self. They overlap but they're different. Without identity you still exist. You feel, you experience. The wolf/fox/cat etc. doesn't identify as such, does it? It just is.

A long, long time ago I had auditory hallucinations. I'd hear distant music playing, the phone ringing, etc. It was unnerving and scary because I couldn't tell whether or not it was real. So I started to concentrate on listening to the hallucinations, and listened until I could tell the difference. And then I stopped hallucinating. So I guess that's my advice for dealing with false experiences. Just take your time, pay attention and analyze your internal experience.

previously a wolf spirit
2024-01-07 8:16
Save
Give Thanks
Abysmal.
Shapeshifting fiend

(2024-01-07 8:16)Tdae Wrote:  I've been thinking about this topic of the authenticity of experience and shifter's disease being compared to medical students' disease. A doctor wrote about his experience:

Quote:Fear of death lies at the heart of both medical student syndrome and hypochondriasis in general. As medical professionals, we are confronted with death in our work regardless of which field we wind up in. With passing years and added perspective, however, the depth of my fear has diminished to a significantly shallower, more manageable level.

https://www.aamc.org/news/i-contracted-medical-student-syndrome-you-probably-will-too

Fear of death. I'm moved by the intensity of feeling expressed here. Syndrome. Shifter's syndrome is more descriptive and accurate. The doctor's commentary suggests to me that shifter's syndrome could also have existential undertones. I relate it to being a social animal. Your group is your identity. I think it's human instinct. But identity isn't the same thing as self. They overlap but they're different. Without identity you still exist. You feel, you experience. The wolf/fox/cat etc. doesn't identify as such, does it? It just is.

A long, long time ago I had auditory hallucinations. I'd hear distant music playing, the phone ringing, etc. It was unnerving and scary because I couldn't tell whether or not it was real. So I started to concentrate on listening to the hallucinations, and listened until I could tell the difference. And then I stopped hallucinating. So I guess that's my advice for dealing with false experiences. Just take your time, pay attention and analyze your internal experience.

While I cannot change the label of something already preexisting (once more), I also agree with this. Otherwise, I suffer from the same exact problem (hallucinations), it's just on all forefronts sadly. I agree that you must be conscious of your feelings in and out of the moment (apologies if this isn't directly what you said, I was trying to summarize it XD)

2024-01-07 10:06
Save
Give Thanks
d0ggie_dr00l
dog pound fugitive
Theriotype: Wolfdog
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick 

this topic is super cool! sry in advance if this question was answered already. is it ok that when i get an involuntary shift, it turns into a full blown shift? like the feeling intensifies, or im at least more focused on it. i dont wanna be seen as a fake ya know XD

.∧__,,∧
( ´·ω·` )
(つ♡と)
u―u´
i wuv u <3
2024-01-08 2:56
Save
Give Thanks
Siris
Shaker of stick
Theriotype: Kitsune
.$team.

(2024-01-08 2:56)d0ggie_dr00l Wrote:  this topic is super cool! sry in advance if this question was answered already. is it ok that when i get an involuntary shift, it turns into a full blown shift? like the feeling intensifies, or im at least more focused on it. i dont wanna be seen as a fake ya know XD

Absolutely! None of this thread is about being a fake more how we can fool ourselves, bother therian and non-therian alike. If that shift comes on its own and you just explore it that's natural and normal. Shifters disease would be more like you start reading up on someone having wings and so you think about it really hard and suddenly you induce a shift of having wings rather than it being due to say your theriotype. Or the more common example, a younger person finds therianthropy and while looking for a place to belong only does some surface level research before letting their imagination run away with themselves.

2024-01-08 6:07
Save
Give Thanks
Abysmal.
Shapeshifting fiend

(2024-01-08 2:56)d0ggie_dr00l Wrote:  this topic is super cool! sry in advance if this question was answered already. is it ok that when i get an involuntary shift, it turns into a full blown shift? like the feeling intensifies, or im at least more focused on it. i dont wanna be seen as a fake ya know XD

I understand your concern for asking, but honestly... Don't sweat it too much. I'm not here to gatekeep anything, just spread awareness

2024-01-08 7:11
Save
Give Thanks
CloverCoder987
Pup
Theriotype: Domestic Cat

(2023-12-29 18:42)Tdae Wrote:  I disagree with the extremity of the attitude of calling it a "disease" when people are merely fooling themselves. I realize you didn't coin the term, but I suggest maybe you're taking it too seriously. It suggests there is real harm, but what evidence is there that inducing shifts is actually harmful? Let's talk about the pros and cons of inducing shifts, sure, but without the judginess.

By definition, it is a disease. "a disorder of structure or function in a human..." is the beginning of the definition of disease that I found on Google, and I would say that matches pretty well because Shifters disease because it's causing disorder in the function of a non-shifting person's function.
No one was shaming those who may be affected with shifting disease, only educating on what it is.

➣ Clover ✧˖°
2024-01-09 17:55
Save
Give Thanks
Tdae
visitor
Theriotype: n/a
Experience: Human
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 

(2024-01-09 17:55)CloverCoder987 Wrote:  

(2023-12-29 18:42)Tdae Wrote:  I disagree with the extremity of the attitude of calling it a "disease" when people are merely fooling themselves. I realize you didn't coin the term, but I suggest maybe you're taking it too seriously. It suggests there is real harm, but what evidence is there that inducing shifts is actually harmful? Let's talk about the pros and cons of inducing shifts, sure, but without the judginess.

By definition, it is a disease. "a disorder of structure or function in a human..." is the beginning of the definition of disease that I found on Google, and I would say that matches pretty well because Shifters disease because it's causing disorder in the function of a non-shifting person's function.
No one was shaming those who may be affected with shifting disease, only educating on what it is.

How is this a disorder?

previously a wolf spirit
2024-01-09 19:23
Save
Give Thanks
CloverCoder987
Pup
Theriotype: Domestic Cat

(2024-01-09 19:23)Tdae Wrote:  

(2024-01-09 17:55)CloverCoder987 Wrote:  

How is this a disorder?

I meant disorder as in dis + order (not in order), and not the psychological illness type of disorder! :3

afterthought:
although it's not a psychological illness that could be diagnosed by a psychiatrist, I don't think it's entirely wrong to call it that lol.

➣ Clover ✧˖°
2024-01-09 19:30
Save
Give Thanks