READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Shifters disease; What is it, and How do we get it?
LiminalLegion
Toon Artist & Cryptid
Theriotype: Shapeshifter
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick 
.$team..$team.

RE: Shifters disease; What is it, and How do we get it?
Thank you for recommending that I read this post! It is really good to know. Though, I was wondering if you have any advice on how to avoid it and/or how to confirm if something could be to someone's therianthropy or not? I feel adding something to this on how to best avoid it would be great!

[Image: Untitled127-20240205183729.png]
Banner Art by CR4FTPUNK
PFP Art by Billianbatwolf
(This post was last modified: 2023-12-30 2:37 by LiminalLegion.)
2023-12-30 2:36
Save
Give Thanks
Abysmal.
Member is Online
Shapeshifting fiend
Theriotype: Trollish shapeshifter (see bio)
Contribution: tick tick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team.

(2023-12-30 1:36)Tdae Wrote:  Rage typing? I didn't mean to come across that way, I apologize @B3W1tch3dSparr0w. @DustWolf I don't know why you think I want a spotlight, but you have a fair point that I need to think more before typing.

I understand what you mean by "false experiences," and people's longing to fit in somewhere. But I have trouble relating to it at the same time. I'm detached from it I guess. I'm a machine. The machine has rendered experiences for reasons. This feeling has led me to a spiritual belief that everything is illusions, but that's over my head really.

I see two different ideas being combined in the original post. One is "shifter's disease," which means people having therian-like experiences due to exposure/suggestion. The other idea is about people asking about how to induce shifts. These two look alike, but they're not quite the same thing. There is a concern that you're fooling yourself either way. I think this is debatable, or, it depends.

Thank you for your input! I also agree that exposure may lead to this phenomenon happening too... I've been looking into it due to someone I know on the forums (I won't be naming who) has expressed picking up behaviours from people that have certain things such to say disorders unintentionally, and I've felt this has made them a empath... Being able to reflect on the experiences and act accordingly. I feel this may have something to do with it. Because us as born human beings feel the way we do, and being able to understand each other well. Maybe this can happen to Therians too?

(2023-12-30 2:36)LiminalLegion Wrote:  
Thank you for recommending that I read this post! It is really good to know. Though, I was wondering if you have any advice on how to avoid it and/or how to confirm if something could be to someone's therianthropy or not? I feel adding something to this on how to best avoid it would be great!

I never thought about this, simply due to feeling like it's a little obvious admittedly... But it's okay.

Due to my own experiences being exactly that... Feeling like another animal at different times, it will be difficult for me. But I'll add a bit about it in a second!

[Image: IMG-1163.png]

Abyss||20||Neurodivergent|He/They||DM friendly

PFP is by TheUnknownGame! Thank you so much :3
(This post was last modified: 2023-12-30 2:48 by Abysmal..)
2023-12-30 2:46
Save
Give Thanks
LiminalLegion
Toon Artist & Cryptid
Theriotype: Shapeshifter
Contribution: tick 
.$team..$team.

(2023-12-30 2:46)B3W1tch3dSparr0w Wrote:  I never thought about this, simply due to feeling like it's a little obvious admittedly... But it's okay.

Due to my own experiences being exactly that... Feeling like another animal at different times, it will be difficult for me. But I'll add a bit about it in a second!

Not a problem! Take your time. It just seemed like something that could be helpful since it seems to be a common thing. Like, the things I shared in the Discord had always felt like something not tied to a human-nature thing even as a kid. It always felt more tied to a dog or dog-like creature instead. It may be that most people I end up being around just don't share that with me and that's why I feel it's not a human thing but I'm unsure. That's why I think it would be helpful to know of ways to confirm it

[Image: Untitled127-20240205183729.png]
Banner Art by CR4FTPUNK
PFP Art by Billianbatwolf
2023-12-30 3:05
Save
Give Thanks
Tdae
visitor
Theriotype: n/a
Experience: Human
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 

(2023-12-30 2:46)B3W1tch3dSparr0w Wrote:  I also agree that exposure may lead to this phenomenon happening too... I've been looking into it due to someone I know on the forums (I won't be naming who) has expressed picking up behaviours from people that have certain things such to say disorders unintentionally, and I've felt this has made them a empath... Being able to reflect on the experiences and act accordingly. I feel this may have something to do with it. Because us as born human beings feel the way we do, and being able to understand each other well. Maybe this can happen to Therians too?

Yes, that's a good point. It is natural for people to unconsciously pick up the traits or emotional energy of those around them. Therians I believe are generally sensitive empathetic people and attract similar non-therians who could pick up their traits inadvertently. The same could happen with someone who is around animals a lot. I think of therianthropy as more like a spectrum than a binary too.

previously a wolf spirit
2023-12-30 3:43
Save
Give Thanks
WanderingForests
Pup
Theriotype: coyote, cat, rodent?, bird?, dryad?
Experience: Therian
.$team.

(2023-12-30 1:14)B3W1tch3dSparr0w Wrote:  

(2023-12-30 1:04)WanderingForests Wrote:  

(2023-12-30 0:38)B3W1tch3dSparr0w Wrote:  

(2023-12-29 22:43)WanderingForests Wrote:  @B3W1tch3dSparr0w
Oooh, I see what you're saying. I did see a kid on TikTok who looked about 11 saying stuff like that. She said that she was a wolf therian because she was a leader and wolves had alphas in their packs. Which, first off, that doesn't make you a wolf therian, and second off, the whole alpha system is very inaccurate for wild wolves.

Still not exactly it; that's simply the believe of a past life... It's just inaccurate is all. But you are right about the one thing. That isn't what makes you therian.

She didn't mention past lives in her post at all, just why she thought she was a wolf therian and that was why

Huh.. that's interesting

I was surprised too, considering most young people on TikTok fall victim to that misconception.

Run fast, be safe, live free.

Most birds don't realize their wings can fly until they fall, only to find themselves soaring.
2023-12-30 16:48
Save
Give Thanks
WolfThing
Sirius A1 - α Canis Majoris
Theriotype: Wolf Man (Cosmos+Wolf+Man)
Experience: Otherkin
Contribution: tick tick tick 

Interesting topic. I don't agree, but it's certainly interesting. I practice intentional shifting as a form of meditation for various reasons. As beings with cognitive function, I think it's only natural we experience life through our identities. When we begin to lose touch with reality and do things that are outright harmful to ourselves and others, then that's a problem obviously.

There's this anti-coping thing that I don't really get, seems misguided. If you are living you are doing things to cope with whatever else. Some coping mechs are maladaptive, some are beneficial mechinsims that not only hold a deep meaning to the practioner but also are helping that person feel happier, healthier, and whole.

I have random involuntary shifts, I found emotional and mental benefit to inducing it through meditation and undergoing my own self study. Don't see how an experience becomes false because you trained or induced it either. In fact they are often more intense and tangible having a greater impact.

Frankly I don't understand how delving into the nature of these experiences isn't encouraged. How do you grow up, becoome balanced and know yourself at a deeper level? Been doing this for 16 years and am still alive and sane because of it. In my unsolicited opinion...many get on the "I'm so smart and realistic" bandwagon at the expense of their right to unabated personal exploration.

Thankfully I've come to learn it's ok, everybody's different. Just can't grasp strange attitudes like this. I say if you want to experience your shifts, DO IT! Try it if you want, explore for yourself. The baseless psycho analyzing is just noise.

I am Wolf Man.
Neither Therian Nor Otherkin. I am simply Being.

Forest Craftsman & Sappy Husbando
2024-01-06 7:39
Save
Give Thanks
Siris
Shaker of stick
Theriotype: Kitsune
.$team.

(2024-01-06 7:39)WolfThing Wrote:  Interesting topic. I don't agree, but it's certainly interesting. I practice intentional shifting as a form of meditation for various reasons. As beings with cognitive function, I think it's only natural we experience life through our identities. When we begin to lose touch with reality and do things that are outright harmful to ourselves and others, then that's a problem obviously.

There's this anti-coping thing that I don't really get, seems misguided. If you are living you are doing things to cope with whatever else. Some coping mechs are maladaptive, some are beneficial mechinsims that not only hold a deep meaning to the practioner but also are helping that person feel happier, healthier, and whole.

I have random involuntary shifts, I found emotional and mental benefit to inducing it through meditation and undergoing my own self study. Don't see how an experience becomes false because you trained or induced it either. In fact they are often more intense and tangible having a greater impact.

Frankly I don't understand how delving into the nature of these experiences isn't encouraged. How do you grow up, becoome balanced and know yourself at a deeper level? Been doing this for 16 years and am still alive and sane because of it. In my unsolicited opinion...many get on the "I'm so smart and realistic" bandwagon at the expense of their right to unabated personal exploration.

Thankfully I've come to learn it's ok, everybody's different. Just can't grasp strange attitudes like this. I say if you want to experience your shifts, DO IT! Try it if you want, explore for yourself. The baseless psycho analyzing is just noise.

As with everything, in good moderation I agree. Shifter's disease isn't a new concept though and has been an observed phenomena for a long while now. And while I will say yes, meditating into a shifted state is useful that's not what this is about. It has more to do with forcing or tricking yourself into feeling something (not always intentionally) and thus misleading yourself. The point here is be critical of yourself and take the time to think and study yourself through. Really this is less for the benefit of those of us who have been around for a while and more for the younger members who may feel they have to fit into what ever mold they precieve and wanting to try something out is all fine and good but I think we can all agree delusion will only lead to bigger problems later.

2024-01-06 10:38
Save
Give Thanks
WolfThing

(2024-01-06 10:38)Siris Wrote:  As with everything, in good moderation I agree. Shifter's disease isn't a new concept though and has been an observed phenomena for a long while now. And while I will say yes, meditating into a shifted state is useful that's not what this is about. It has more to do with forcing or tricking yourself into feeling something (not always intentionally) and thus misleading yourself. The point here is be critical of yourself and take the time to think and study yourself through. Really this is less for the benefit of those of us who have been around for a while and more for the younger members who may feel they have to fit into what ever mold they precieve and wanting to try something out is all fine and good but I think we can all agree delusion will only lead to bigger problems later.

Oh don't get me wrong I get it. But there are also people who may feel there is a stigma for even wanting to shift intentionally or having spiritual ties to their shifting. My 2 cents is for those young ones who may feel alinated in that way and hey...any adult who feels that way too.

On maintaining balance, we are in total agreement.

I am Wolf Man.

(This post was last modified: 2024-01-06 15:30 by WolfThing.)
2024-01-06 15:25
Save
Give Thanks
Abysmal.
Member is Online
Shapeshifting fiend
Theriotype: Trollish shapeshifter (see bio)
.$team..$team..$team..$team.

(2024-01-06 7:39)WolfThing Wrote:  Interesting topic. I don't agree, but it's certainly interesting. I practice intentional shifting as a form of meditation for various reasons. As beings with cognitive function, I think it's only natural we experience life through our identities. When we begin to lose touch with reality and do things that are outright harmful to ourselves and others, then that's a problem obviously.

Despite our disagreeance, I am glad you are able to give your opinion. It means a lot to me! Otherwise, this thread is mainly targeted towards young Therians who just first discovered they may be Therian, or haven't discovered their theriotype yet. I'm worried about the false experiences that could run rampant at first, because we tend to see what we want to see. That is pretty much all I'm saying. Also, I find you're putting words in my mouth a little by insisting you're alive and sane... While I understand the term "shifters disease" sounds absolutely awful, I wasn't the one that coined the term, I was simply here to explain the term someone else had made. When I write the explaination, I am not saying anyone here, with or without this, is insane or near death. I could be overanalyzing, and it doesn't help you don't know me, but I'd never go that far.

Edit: I thought I should mention, I am someone that does do intentional shifting, but it isn't because I don't know my theriotypes which is my main concern; I know mine, and inducing shifts do also help me.

[Image: IMG-1163.png]

Abyss||20||Neurodivergent|He/They||DM friendly

PFP is by TheUnknownGame! Thank you so much :3
(This post was last modified: 2024-01-06 17:22 by Abysmal..)
2024-01-06 17:18
Save
Give Thanks
WolfThing

@B3W1tch3dSparr0w

My intention was not to put words in your mouth at all. Just sharing my thoughts on the content. All good here, and I do understand being concerned with false experiences. I just stand at the ready to defend spiritual therianrhropy and the notion that we can gain control of our experiences....even though no one asked me to ?. I'm just a voice of many voices on here to choose from. I have no issue with you.

I am Wolf Man.

2024-01-06 23:48
Save
Give Thanks