READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Shifters disease; What is it, and How do we get it?
Abysmal.
Member is Online
Shapeshifting fiend
Theriotype: Trollish shapeshifter (see bio)
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team.

Shifters disease; What is it, and How do we get it?
To start this thread off simple and quick, recently I've been hearing a lot (especially from the pups here) of things along the lines of "how do I force a shift", so I'm here to address exactly why you shouldn't be doing that.

So, first off, what is "Shifter's disease"?
Here's the definition accordingly to the therian wiki:
Shifter's Disease was coined by the members of Shifters.org circa 2001. Individuals who are researching Therianthropy may begin to trick themselves into thinking that normal feelings and sensations that can be explained rationally, are actually therianthropic shifts or evidence of Therianthropy.

Furthermore, this disease is often compared to something called Medical Student's Disease, as this disease makes medical students seemingly gain the symptoms of the viruses they do research on.

What the definition entails essentially goes as is: people doing research into the topic may begin to try and explain attributes of their normal life through Therianthropy. I'm sure a lot of us here had done that when first discovering Therianthropy. Such to say, a big one is often personality. "I must be a cat because I'm reclusive and don't like people!", No, that just means you're reclusive and don't like people.

However, as the community has shown time and time again, it appears this definition goes farther then what has been shown. Such to say, Shifters disease isn't limited to thinking normal experiences are Therianthropy-esque experiences. I've seen people time and time again, say things like "I want to force myself to shift", then the experiences I had when I first discovered therianthropy, trying to get myself to shift just so I could feel happy in my own flesh. Oh, and then there often being a older being there to tell them not to force themselves to shift. From my own findings, it's only created false experiences.. there were identities I felt that were not mine. And as I hear others, it seems I'm not the only one that struggle(s/d) with this either.

Now, how do you get this disease?

Simply enough... Try and push non therian experiences to be therian experiences, whether it be forcing shifts or comparing human traits to therian traits.

Another good point was brought up by someone who commented on this thread... So I'll also explain how to avoid having this phenomenon happen to you!

Essentially, first and foremost... Do not force shifts or thoughts. You'll only have what you want as a person/therian happen to you! If you think about wanting to be a cat.. you will eventually get the belief that you are a cat. Let your shifts happen naturally.. as they normally do if you shift. Remember, not all Therians shift, and they are okay and valid.

If you avoid that for the most part, you are for the most part in the clear! As to other experiences... Question yourself. Question everything you feel. Why do you feel that way? And what makes you therian? Do these traits, likes, dislikes make you therian? If you are confused by what I mean, let me put it simply. A example being this: I like the rain, but it isn't because I'm a wolfkin. I simply like rain. I feel a lot of these things are urge based, such to say the urge to dig a hole may be a therian instinct versus something like just liking dirt. Challenge yourself in your discovery. Your self journey.

Now, you may be asking... What if you are a being that is a shapeshifter or has the ability to essentially transform your being mentally? What about them? As a shapeshifter, here's how I view it! Yes, I am a being that can change form. At will, essentially... But I do not force these changes, and haven't ever. Instead, I let them come naturally.. there will be animals we can change to, as that is a part of our experience, but at the same time, we let our brain (not ourself) decide what we are, if we are anything.

I would also like to put it out there, you are free to ask me questions I may or may not have the answer to. However, some may be best answered by yourself.

I hope this post is able to help the members here, and the guests that may be lurking around. If anyone has feedback, it would be greatly appreciated of you to share!

[Image: IMG-1163.png]

Abyss||20||Neurodivergent|He/They||DM friendly

PFP is by TheUnknownGame! Thank you so much :3
(This post was last modified: 2023-12-30 2:59 by Abysmal..)
2023-12-29 18:05
Save
Give Thanks
Tdae
visitor
Theriotype: n/a
Experience: Human
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 

RE: Shifters disease; What is it, and How do we get it?
I disagree with the extremity of the attitude of calling it a "disease" when people are merely fooling themselves. I realize you didn't coin the term, but I suggest maybe you're taking it too seriously. It suggests there is real harm, but what evidence is there that inducing shifts is actually harmful? Let's talk about the pros and cons of inducing shifts, sure, but without the judginess.

previously a wolf spirit
2023-12-29 18:42
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Support pup
Theriotype: Arabian Wolf
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick 
.$team.

(2023-12-29 18:42)Tdae Wrote:  I disagree with the extremity of the attitude of calling it a "disease" when people are merely fooling themselves. I realize you didn't coin the term, but I suggest maybe you're taking it too seriously. It suggests there is real harm, but what evidence is there that inducing shifts is actually harmful? Let's talk about the pros and cons of inducing shifts, sure, but without the judginess.

Calm down it's just what someone decided to call it back in 2001 and it isn't a medical condition.

If you actually read the post before you start rage-typing, you can see that it was named so after the Medical Student's Disease, which is not a medical condition either.

You can relax as it wasn't Sparrow's intention to steal your spotlight.

Here is a link to the wiki article:
https://therian.fandom.com/wiki/Shifter%27s_Disease

LP,
Dusty

If you think I'm wrong just say so. Let's talk about it.
Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
(This post was last modified: 2023-12-29 18:57 by DustWolf.)
2023-12-29 18:49
Save
Give Thanks
WanderingForests
Member is Online
Pup
Theriotype: coyote, cat, rodent?, bird?, dryad?
.$team.

I have seen people with this "disease" but I'm curious if anyone has any examples of experiences that people say are therian experiences but really are not.
I have one that I think a lot of people say is something that should be a therian experience but really isn't: going through an 'animal phase' as a kid. I know some therians trace their experiences back into early childhood but I have seen people who claim to be therians based upon a phase from being a little kid that they grew out of.

Run fast, be safe, live free.

Most birds don't realize their wings can fly until they fall, only to find themselves soaring.
2023-12-29 19:06
Save
Give Thanks
Abysmal.
Member is Online
Shapeshifting fiend

(2023-12-29 19:06)WanderingForests Wrote:  I have seen people with this "disease" but I'm curious if anyone has any examples of experiences that people say are therian experiences but really are not.
I have one that I think a lot of people say is something that should be a therian experience but really isn't: going through an 'animal phase' as a kid. I know some therians trace their experiences back into early childhood but I have seen people who claim to be therians based upon a phase from being a little kid that they grew out of.

That in itself isn't exactly shifters disease, but takes on a similar approach I guess? I've seen people claim things like their personality being directly related to their theriotypes (which to a extent CAN be true, but isn't entirely true).

(2023-12-29 18:42)Tdae Wrote:  I disagree with the extremity of the attitude of calling it a "disease" when people are merely fooling themselves. I realize you didn't coin the term, but I suggest maybe you're taking it too seriously. It suggests there is real harm, but what evidence is there that inducing shifts is actually harmful? Let's talk about the pros and cons of inducing shifts, sure, but without the judginess.

As Dusty had said, I did not mean any harm in what I said. It is simply the term used for such instance. If I were to coin the term, I personally would definitely not use the term disease, but it is what it is. Otherwise, I am by no means judging, just explaining such phenomenon because it's often overlooked. Is that a problem to you? Addressing something? Because I don't think it is.

Otherwise, there is no actual harm happening, but due to it creating false experiences, that is it's only harm. That is what can make people falsely believe they are therian... Because from what I noticed, when people first discover Therianthropy and are okay with it, it's almost as if we yearn to be one... Because more then anything, we want a group that understands our experiences. I personally believe most of those types of people may just be otherhearted.

(This post was last modified: 2023-12-29 22:32 by Abysmal..)
2023-12-29 22:28
Save
Give Thanks
WanderingForests
Member is Online
Pup
.$team.

@B3W1tch3dSparr0w
Oooh, I see what you're saying. I did see a kid on TikTok who looked about 11 saying stuff like that. She said that she was a wolf therian because she was a leader and wolves had alphas in their packs. Which, first off, that doesn't make you a wolf therian, and second off, the whole alpha system is very inaccurate for wild wolves.

Most birds don't realize their wings can fly until they fall, only to find themselves soaring.
2023-12-29 22:43
Save
Give Thanks
Abysmal.
Member is Online
Shapeshifting fiend

(2023-12-29 22:43)WanderingForests Wrote:  @B3W1tch3dSparr0w
Oooh, I see what you're saying. I did see a kid on TikTok who looked about 11 saying stuff like that. She said that she was a wolf therian because she was a leader and wolves had alphas in their packs. Which, first off, that doesn't make you a wolf therian, and second off, the whole alpha system is very inaccurate for wild wolves.

Still not exactly it; that's simply the believe of a past life... It's just inaccurate is all. But you are right about the one thing. That isn't what makes you therian.

2023-12-30 0:38
Save
Give Thanks
WanderingForests
Member is Online
Pup
.$team.

(2023-12-30 0:38)B3W1tch3dSparr0w Wrote:  

Still not exactly it; that's simply the believe of a past life... It's just inaccurate is all. But you are right about the one thing. That isn't what makes you therian.

She didn't mention past lives in her post at all, just why she thought she was a wolf therian and that was why

2023-12-30 1:04
Save
Give Thanks
Abysmal.
Member is Online
Shapeshifting fiend

(2023-12-30 1:04)WanderingForests Wrote:  

(2023-12-30 0:38)B3W1tch3dSparr0w Wrote:  

She didn't mention past lives in her post at all, just why she thought she was a wolf therian and that was why

Huh.. that's interesting

2023-12-30 1:14
Save
Give Thanks
Tdae
visitor
Theriotype: n/a
Experience: Human

Rage typing? I didn't mean to come across that way, I apologize @B3W1tch3dSparr0w. @DustWolf I don't know why you think I want a spotlight, but you have a fair point that I need to think more before typing.

I understand what you mean by "false experiences," and people's longing to fit in somewhere. But I have trouble relating to it at the same time. I'm detached from it I guess. I'm a machine. The machine has rendered experiences for reasons. This feeling has led me to a spiritual belief that everything is illusions, but that's over my head really.

I see two different ideas being combined in the original post. One is "shifter's disease," which means people having therian-like experiences due to exposure/suggestion. The other idea is about people asking about how to induce shifts. These two look alike, but they're not quite the same thing. There is a concern that you're fooling yourself either way. I think this is debatable, or, it depends.

previously a wolf spirit
2023-12-30 1:36
Save
Give Thanks