READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Seeking Advice to Learn About Therianthropy
○UrLocalSwiftie○
Pup
Theriotype: Tabby Cat, Coyote
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: new

Seeking Advice to Learn About Therianthropy
I have quite a few questions about therianthropy in my head at this moment. May have more later so ill keep yall updated. Bear with me bc im typing this at 12 A.M. at night. Questions are:
-How can you make yourself shift more on command or get control of the shifting?
-How to shift in general (been struggling with this)
-Does therianthropy have anything to relate with depression and making it worse or impacting it in general? (based off with me it has gotten worse and idk if it is because of it or if its something else like species dysorfaflurfur.) (Idk how to spell rn.)
These are the few questions I can think off of the top of my head. I only have a lot of questions because i am still kinda new to this and the whole therian realm. Only been awakened for about 4 months.
Thank you for taking your time to read and/or reply to this thread and I hope you have an amazing day/night! Smile :3

UrLocalSwiftie ○ He/Them/It (idc) ○ Brown Coyote & Orange Tabby (domestic) ○ Not mentally stable but stable
-Me a slay, preppy, die hard swiftie! UwU :3
Hope yall have a great rest of ur day and know i love you and nobody can change who you are. Be yourself!
Parents: @Ace on pawrs
@SunnyDelta_On_Pawrs
2024-04-09 3:48
Save
Give Thanks
vrydi
Therian Guide Staff
映月 | HJ-111
Theriotype: Huli jing, flying squirrel, noomdle?
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team.

RE: Seeking Advice to Learn About Therianthropy

(2024-04-09 3:48)○UrLocalSwiftie○ Wrote:  -How can you make yourself shift more on command or get control of the shifting?

You cannot force shifts. Forcing shifts can cause fake feelings and cameo shifts.

It is okay to not shift. Not every therian shifts. It is a misconception that you need to shift to be a therian. Some don't shift at all, some are integrated and are constantly in a shifted state and other on a sliding scale. And other the "regular" shifting.

I am one of those non shifting therians.

Quote:-How to shift in general (been struggling with this)

See answer above

Quote:-Does therianthropy have anything to relate with depression and making it worse or impacting it in general? (based off with me it has gotten worse and idk if it is because of it or if its something else like species dysorfaflurfur.) (Idk how to spell rn.)

It is not related woth each other but can be influenced.

I've noticed some members saying that their species dysphoria causes sad feelings in them. Which in turn could potentially increase already existing depressing feelings.

Vrydi - Ying Yue | HJ-111 | She/her | huli jing - siberian flying squirrel - noomdle

[Image: ying-yue-wbg.png]
2024-04-09 7:26
Save
Give Thanks
FernFox
Fox amongst the Ferns
Theriotype: Fox
Contribution: tick tick 
.$team..$team.

(2024-04-09 3:48)○UrLocalSwiftie○ Wrote:  I have quite a few questions about therianthropy in my head at this moment. May have more later so ill keep yall updated. Bear with me bc im typing this at 12 A.M. at night. Questions are:
-How can you make yourself shift more on command or get control of the shifting?
-How to shift in general (been struggling with this)
-Does therianthropy have anything to relate with depression and making it worse or impacting it in general? (based off with me it has gotten worse and idk if it is because of it or if its something else like species dysorfaflurfur.) (Idk how to spell rn.)
These are the few questions I can think off of the top of my head. I only have a lot of questions because i am still kinda new to this and the whole therian realm. Only been awakened for about 4 months.
Thank you for taking your time to read and/or reply to this thread and I hope you have an amazing day/night! Smile :3

Hiya! I'm not sure if it's a language barrier thing, but I get the sense from your post that you may have been given some misinformation about therianthropy. I'll do my best to clear up some misconceptions!

1) How can you make yourself shift more on command or get control of the shifting?
Learning to 'shift' more shouldn't really be a goal of therianthropy. Shifting in our case refers to feeling a sudden increase in animalistic behaviours, senses, or phantom sensations, which comes naturally and is a defining characteristic of some therians. However, (as Vrydi said), not all therians experience shifts! There are many, many reasons that one might identify as a therian, and experiencing shifts is just one of them.

There are ways to induce shifts and ways to postpone/dull those feelings, but neither are recommended if you're new to the concept. It's something that's done when you're certain of your identity and are trying to feel more comfortable.

2) How to shift?
Same as above, learning to shift isn't something that can or should be done. It's just a term used to describe something that many therians already experience. Therianthropy isn't a choice after all, but rather an involuntary identity!

3) Does therianthropy have anything to do with depression / making it worse or impacting it in general?
Therianthropy can have an affect on mental health, but the two are not inherently related. In most cases, therianthropy should not be affecting your mental health in a negative way-- it's just something that you are and have always been, and that you learn to accomodate in your life. Species dysphoria can cause feelings of depression, but species dysphoria isn't a 'symptom' of therianthropy, and not every therian experiences it. It's an identity, not a mental illness after all!

I hope that helped! If you have more questions I'll do my best to answer, but I highly recommend taking a look around the forums and reading some of the personal experiences of other therians. Personal experience varies a lot, but there are definitely some key features which are shared amongst all therians!

- Fern

[Image: HLENyYQ.png]
Art Thread | Journal
(This post was last modified: 2024-04-09 19:22 by FernFox.)
2024-04-09 19:21
Save
Give Thanks
S. Onyx
Pup
Theriotype: Check Bio
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Contribution: tick tick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team.

1. Meditation seems to help some with both of those.
2. Same answer as 1
3. Depression and other emotions can definitely affect therianthropy. It affects mine a lot.
Hope this helps!

And she was always cold toward bats, too, and could not bear them; and yet I think a bat is as friendly a bird as there is
- Mark Twain

Any pronouns (including neo) except she/her
:ff2:
Feel free to PM, PS, or ping me anytime!
2024-04-09 21:25
Save
Give Thanks
○UrLocalSwiftie○
Pup
Theriotype: Tabby Cat, Coyote
Contribution: new

I recently for abt a day only felt a wing. I have never exhibited any behavior showing that I may be a bird therian. I also only ever feel one ear as well with the phantom shifts and ive been wondering if somethings wrong or...

UrLocalSwiftie ○ He/Them/It (idc) ○ Brown Coyote & Orange Tabby (domestic) ○ Not mentally stable but stable
-Me a slay, preppy, die hard swiftie! UwU :3
Hope yall have a great rest of ur day and know i love you and nobody can change who you are. Be yourself!
Parents: @Ace on pawrs
@SunnyDelta_On_Pawrs
2024-04-13 14:18
Save
Give Thanks
Lupus Ferox
Isolated wuff
Theriotype: wolf
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick tick 
.$team..$team..$team.

Walk away from the situation at hand was what I did, when I suspected a mental shift was about to happen. So yes, according to what I still know about them, it is definitely possible to postpone one a little. I believed it was even possible to help induce or steer one when one started to come to the surface. That one phantom shift I once had happened unexpectedly, though, without putting my mind to it. I just inhaled and it appeared that the air was going through a snout into my lungs. That happened when I was twenty-six. It was an astonishing feeling that helped make dysphoria somewhat lighter both once it was gone and while it happened for a short amount of time as well.
In my youth, I did get these longings for shifts to happen, that is to say, when I was alone and could "use" something to make me feel better. That's because they even helped to learn more about myself. Shifts usually tend to intensify when you think about them actually taking place. And afterwards, the confirmation you get that each time it happens, similar emotions scratch the surface that are so typically you, can be both so worthwhile as well as informative. I believe I was always in control of myself, always to an extent. Never blacked out. Those are the only things I can still remember about them.

It is perfectly okay when you stop shifting after a while, though. I don't think we know for certain how shifts work yet, so every subjective information, but information regardless, can help us to understand them better. I hope this has been somewhat useful, and that I didn't share any rubbish with you.
2024-04-13 18:38
Save
Give Thanks