READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

How to tell your parents you are a Therian/otherkin
LeafyMeadows
Pup
Theriotype: Snow leopard and meerkat (maybe a fox?)
Experience: Therian, (otherkin?)
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick 

How to tell your parents you are a Therian/otherkin
If you are reading this you are probably wondering how to tell your parents you are a Therian/otherkin.

First you want to make sure this is what you want, you deserve to do anything you feel is best for you and others. It's not what you feel is best for you then you can just keep it to yourself if you want

Second you should try to guess if their reaction will be good or bad if it's bad maybe you should hold off for a moment... Or in my case forever :,)

Next I would probably do some thing like ask them to Google search it or something if you're young but if you're a little older like 14-16 or something then you can ask them their opinion on Therians

Then Then you can gradually start wearing your gear around them if you don't have any gear then you can start doing quads around them
And if they're saying not to do that or like that it's cringe or whatever and you should probably tell your friends instead and not your parents or something I don't know that's what I would do

Finally finally you are going to try to tell them either by texting or telling them in person or something along those lines

But I don't know how it's gonna go so don't blame me if anything goes wrong but if it does then I will definitely be there to help you <3

I hope this helps someone out there!

Everything you lose is a step you take - Your on your own kid (Taylor Swift) pfp art byNaomi lord
(This post was last modified: 2023-10-22 20:51 by LeafyMeadows.)
2023-10-22 20:51
Save
Give Thanks
Abysmal.
Shapeshifting fiend
Theriotype: Trollish shapeshifter (see bio)
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Contribution: tick tick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team.

RE: How to tell your parents you are a Therian/otherkin
There's a lot of things to unpack here, and while this is great for most kids, not everyone wears gear and a lot of us are adults. I do have gear, but most do not. You don't even need to come out to family to be honest, but if you feel you must, you can go right ahead. My family knows I'm therian after having a initially negative response to therians in general, and they're fine with it.

[Image: IMG-1163.png]

Abyss||20||Neurodivergent|He/They||DM friendly

PFP is by TheUnknownGame! Thank you so much :3
2023-10-22 22:16
Save
Give Thanks
Daizon
The Curious Dog
Theriotype: Shepherd Dog
Experience: Therian
Connection: Spiritual

I'll be honest and direct, and I feel like a guide on this subject is quite a slippery slope. It's not too much different than sexuality and the kind of reactions one can get and there are many reasons for one to never, ever even consider telling a person about these things. Just think about the horror stories about people being disowned for being gay. Even though sexuality and therianthropy are different on a surface level, they may be more alike than one would expect as it covers the core identity of an individual and it can both lead to strong reactions from people.

If someone isn't absolutely certain their parents would react open minded about it, it could wreak more havoc than it would do good. Especially for the largest age category on this site between 12-17 I feel like they have most to lose from telling it as they're still very reliant on their parents. Also, I fail to see how parents could offer support in regard to therianthropy. I told my boyfriend with who I live together, and it helps me in many ways, but I could not imagine a way I would benefit from it by telling my parents, not ten years ago, not now.

So yeah, if someone reads this and considers telling their parents, I have one thing to say: Once the genie's out of the bottle, it can't be put back, so think it well through.

One should live their life to the best of their ability.
2023-10-22 22:48
Save
Give Thanks
LeafyMeadows
Pup
Theriotype: Snow leopard and meerkat (maybe a fox?)
Experience: Therian, (otherkin?)

Yes, I would recommend thinking for a week at minimumSmile

Everything you lose is a step you take - Your on your own kid (Taylor Swift) pfp art byNaomi lord
2023-10-22 22:51
Save
Give Thanks
AvisTheDutchie
♡Moss Entity♡
Theriotype: Golden Retriever, Dutch Angel Dragon, Silver Fox
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological
.$team..$team..$team.

idk if someone said this but YOU DONT NEED TO!! i dont plan on telling my mom, and if its that scary dont. It could also get dangerous too, i have a furry friend who told their parents and well we had to call CPS. but THINK REALLY REALLY hard about it,and dont feel rushed. ofc if being a therian is endangering you or others tell a trusted adult to get help. you dont have to tell your parents, it can be a therapist, grandparent or teacher, whoever you feel comfortable with. Anyway, stay safe guys, much love from the birdie buddy cawsmile
2023-12-18 4:18
Save
Give Thanks
lovelyfloof
Floofer
Theriotype: Lynx otherhearted
Experience: Therian
Contribution:

Great big warning for coming out as anything even remotely different: violence will be threatened and sometimes even acted upon, as there are always haters, ignorant people and generally misinformed people (who could possibly be corrected gently and calmed down, but it’s iffy).
CW: talk of violence and death, no apologies will be given

Coming out is a big, stressful, exciting and dangerous deal, but also amazingly freeing if you find acceptance!!
There is a very real possibility you can get k!ll€d for coming out as anything. The world can be a brutal place. Many therians have been killed by trusted people because of their identity alone. Shot like an animal is the reasoning. Always be as safe as you can.

My advice is to ask your parents what they think of therians first, without making any hints that you are one. Respond vaguely if they ask why.
If their response is bad, don’t engage any further, now that you know their opinion. If it’s good, go ahead and tell them in a quiet environment that you feel you have an identity relating to animals. Don’t act like “Mom/Dad/Guardian, I’m a therian” is a terrible thing that you’re ashamed of telling. Tell them instead that you identify internally as your theriotype, and work from there. Answer any questions as well as you can and direct them to good resources for information.
I reccomend the Therian Territory YouTube channel for good info to show to your parents/friends etc and for yourself.
The opinion-then-decide worked well for me (not) coming out as a furry to my parents before I could get away, if it came to that. If your parents’ response is worse than “cringe” then don’t bother to continue with the topic- make sure your safety comes first. If all else fails try to find online therian friends to chat and goof off and find acceptance with.
Parents can be complete idiots anyway, especially the older ones.
IRL and trusted friends that are your age are a better bet, as they might be better versed with the internet and perhaps have seen/read good info on therians.
Losing friends is of course a hazard. Overall it just comes down to how well you know the person and how you approach it. Even if you mess up or they turn out to be a jerk about it you’ll always have someone to support you even then :lynx:

Good luck to anyone considering this <3

— Yours floofily :lynx:
(This post was last modified: 2023-12-28 18:03 by lovelyfloof.)
2023-12-28 17:55
Save
Give Thanks