Therian Guide: Forums

Full Version: The rise of "kinnies"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
idgaf about kinnies they can do what they like, not my problem. Also fictionkin aren't always "kinnies" they're just fictionkin, though you see more fictionkin kinnies than not.
Either way, each to their own. They're usually young people getting to know themselves and trying to find their crowd.
I don’t really think kinnie is a bad thing. Imo, it seems a lot different than being kin / is considered different from being kin. From my experience, people who use the word kinnie have no intention of it being anything similar to therianthropy. I even had an irl genuine therian friend joke about being a kinnie for a danganronpa character, expressing to me that it was a separate thing. Kinnie at least to me isn’t the same as being kin, and the words are separate enough that I don’t think there should be too much confusion (unless it’s used as a verb ig). Even being a kinnie of something is worded different than being kin (catkinnie vs catkin for example).

(2019-08-04 19:38)Connor Wrote: [ -> ]I feel like most of these "kinnies" are similar to what the trans community calls "trenders"; people who are either misinformed or are faking it (sometimes even both). Most of them with the bombardment of types are mostly doing it for attention. They're trying to stand out and be special by saying "ooo look I'm all of these things" when in reality, if they are a therian or otherkin, they're most likely anywhere between one to three types. If I hear anyone call themselves a "kinnie", I'm most likely not going to believe them. But I would try to inform them about therianthropy and what it really is; what it means to people and how it's a big part of some of their lives.

I mean diff groups, basically yeah.

I think that if you're offering a "kinnie" advice and help, but they say "No! You can't oppress me, you (blah blah balh)" then screw 'em. But if someone who claims that label is legitimately confused on their therio/kintype, then they should talk to therians/otherkin people who actually know what they are talking about instead of going on Tumblr.

(2020-06-17 7:52)▪ Wolfo ▪ Wrote: [ -> ]Misinformed teens and people that " relate " to characters ( mostly anime and tv shows ) and then call it therianthropy.

Most of the time they're not open to learn abput therianthropy and stick to their own made up terms

Yep, 100% true.

(2019-08-04 5:00)Darkshifter2 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone!! I'm not sure if many remember me since I haven't been on these fourms properly in years now,, but I wanted to talk about something that I've noticed recently that's been bugging me ig. I'm sorry if there's already been a thread on this topic or this subject is in the wrong board!! If so, admins feel free to take this down or whatever. Smile
Anyway!!
Okay hi so I've noticed that recently there's been an upsurge of fictionkin on Instagram and Tumblr; and by fictionkin I mean people who see an anime character they like or relate to and are like "Wow kin!1!!". And nowadays the term "therianthropy" has been disregarded for using otherkin as a sorta umbrella term; which I guess it always has been, but never like this.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense n it's really rushed,, but yeah. What I wanted to know is: what are ya'lls opinions on this new wave of kids who claim they're "kin" when really it's just for fun or something they relate to? Personally I feel like it's harming the therianthropy/otherkin community, I'm glad that kinning is more talked about n no longer as taboo as it once was, but it becoming mainstream is turning therians n such out to be a joke, I feel like. Idk about you but I don't really want this community to be associated with "Oh you're a kinnie? Wow me too I relate to this character so much!!" Because that's... not what "kinning" is. Not seriously, anyway. It's a spiritual thing most of the time, right? And I feel like people are forgetting or twisting the meaning now. Idk.
Anyway, I apologise if this really didn't make any sense or it was disrespectful to anyone in any way. :') Like I said, I haven't actually been involved in this community since probably.. god, 2016. I'm not sure if this is accepted or not here. Btw, I'm not trying to say that fictionkin aren't valid, ofc they are!! I just don't think people who relate to a character n they say they're "kin" are. There's a big difference between relating to a character and being it, I've learnt.

heyo!! i know this post is years old but gahh, just gonna plop my opinion here- as someone who kins fictional characters but isnt a fictionkin, theyre two different things. i kin, for example, roxy lalonde from homestuck. i relate with them deeply, but im not fictionkin! the words are being used for two different things, and thats alright. i understand it must feel really weird seeing a word thats used here for one thing and used other places for another. in most fandoms, kinning directly means 'relating with a character on a personal level'. here, kinning means 'i am this character, they are me'. the terminology should most definitely change as its really dumb having the same word have a meaning that could so easily be blurred by the uneducated, but its really not hurting the therian community, from what ive seen. ive been friends with a ton of therians who also kin fictional characters and arent fictionkin.
sorry if this made no sense lol, im half asleep,,

(2021-01-15 19:13)carnifexAmoret Wrote: [ -> ]the terminology should most definitely change as its really dumb having the same word have a meaning that could so easily be blurred by the uneducated, but its really not hurting the therian community, from what ive seen.

The real problem is that it severely hurts the fictionkin community, rather than the therian community. With people taking the term from 'kin and misusing it, now fictionkin have no idea if someone they're talking to is actually 'kin or if they're just someone stealing the word to pretend to be a character that they actually aren't, which has made it very hard for fictionkin to find others who are actually experiencing the same things as they are. The only way the therian community is affected is if one associates therians and otherkin with otherkin as an umbrella term, in which one might think that the "kin" suffix implies that they are actually anywhere close to the same concept.

They didn't take our words because they relate; they took them because they have absolutely no respect for people who have genuine identities and think their identities are an utter joke, so they have 0 problem co-opting their language. That's the real issue. I advise you to find a different way to refer to the identities you take on intentionally, considering copinglinking, fictionlinking, and otherlinking are words that were specifically created for this experience once "copingkin" became a massive problem in the community for using terms improperly and directly causing the current issue in terminology we experience today.

I don't really like them, I am fine if they are just new and don't really know, but any other reason I don't like them cause they are just making our community have a worse wrap than it already has
Heres my opinion.
I know alot of kinnies that are just people who relate to characters and arent doing any harm, they arent hurting anyone because they just relate to a character and thats ok. Its the confused kids that are the problem (Of course alot of teenagers too) As a close friend of some kinnies i know that alot of them dont really see it as a spiritual thing and they are aware of my therianthropy and are full supporters. My question is, do they identify as the character themself or just relate to the character? If they just relate then heck id consider being a kinnie, i relate to a certain character. But if they identify as that fictional character why not identify as fictionkin? Do they not want to fit under the title of it? Im genuinely curious about kinnies because i havent been in touch with my kinnie friends in quite a while. If someone could answer to my question that would be a big help Smile

Remember, this is just my opinion, you can have yours.
To add to this as someone who spends too much time on both instagram and tumblr, I think often they’re misinformed to believe “k!nnie” refers to finding a character relatable or just similar to themselves, rather than seeing the character as a theriotype of sorts.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's