Therian Guide: Forums

Full Version: The rise of "kinnies"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Well that being said it is true some offline therians prefer to steer clear of the online therian community because they want to avoid the association with "is n" who are not therians.

As a site focused on therianthropy I feel like we owe them a home too.

LP,
Dusty
Hey guys,

Just wanted to preserve this gem from Discord.

Atlantis Wrote:It's like saying to a Cristian "I'm god UwU"
"I relate to Jesus so like... I'm Jesus. This is my jesussona"

P.S.: Also copying this thread to our public board because I feel it's important to share our sentiments regarding this to... well, people outside TG forums.

LP,
Dusty

I'd like to chip in my findings & opinions on this Kinnie Influx Situation.

(2019-08-04 5:00)Darkshifter2 Wrote: [ -> ]there's been an upsurge of fictionkin on Instagram and Tumblr; and by fictionkin I mean people who see an anime character they like or relate to and are like "Wow kin!1!!"

First of all I'd like to make a remark that originally, or mostly, Fictionkin are humans who identify as, or have experiences of, fictional characters or species. For the largest part, Fictionkin would say that relating to a character does not make one a fictionkin (especially as this is what the character is designed for). Lately a new term seems to be used for this within the fictionkin community. Being 'Flicker'. It's not a true identity or lifelong/life-changing experience. But something temporary or just relating. (or Kith gets used too for the last part)

In other words: "Fictionkin are not Kinnies, and Kinnies are not Fictionkin".

Most fictionkin I've talked to say that while the biggest amount of Kinnies are Also Fictionkin, or hide in that community due it's atmosphere, the experiences & 'kind of people' are just too different to be used as an interchangeable term.

I'd say that at this point, the Kinnie Community grew so big & different, that it became a thing of its own.

I've made a video sharing the nowedays most agreed on or used opinions & defenitions on 'Kinnie', ofcourse a large part talks about the 'chosing an identity' and 'roleplaying as it' etc. It's one of my most disliked videos, because I pissed off a whole community. Even if I did not ridicule them, or did not exclude less disliked uses of the term such as for legit identity/experiences (even if it's a minority)

Several Kinnies came to defend themselves. One explained 'Kinnie', in this way:

Quote:quote:
Among fictionkin, the words kinnie/kinning/kin can mean any one or more of the following:
- i somewhat relate to this character
- i relate heavily to this character
- i feel like this character
- i share an incredibly close personality to this character
- i share a numerous amount of incredibly similar experiences to this character
- i feel like i am a reincarnated version of this character
- i feel like i have memories of being this character
- i am a fictive (DID/OSDD term) and i still identify as or with my source character(s)
- i am a fictive and i find it's easier for others to understand me when i call myself fictionkin

according to the one comment on my video, kinnie is not a set term. Even less, and more disagred/confusing than 'Therian' (which, as Dustwolf had as point, also happens here. From connection to past life to soul, to experiences, to feeling, to identity)
Kinnie includes more than 7 very different experiences.
Other than 'Therian', which is also still very individual and unclear ofcourse, I feel 'Kinnie' goes even further from A to Z. From 'Identity' to 'I just find it easier to call myself this way', from 'connection' to 'I just like to pretend to be him for a day' (pretending to be, chosing to identify as, roleplaying as, are other explainations of Kinnie. Mostly on Instagram & Tumblr)

I, and many other therians and otherkin, would disagree that at max only 4 of these even come close to a fictionkin, otherkin or therian experience (being: sharing personality, sharing simular experiences, reincarnations and memories. Even if the last two would be perceived as simple reincarnation and nothing more by the majority unless if experience or identity is attached to it)

To me, this sounds like:

Quote:Among Kinnies, the words kinnie/kinning/kin can mean any one or more of the following:
- I feel what this character has been designed for
- I relate more than average, but still as designed for it
- experiences = possible therian/otherkin
- simular personality = possible therian/otherkin??
- characters are Designed to share simularities to the widest branch of audience
- reincarnation
- reincarnation, spirituality
- i have DID
- Copinglinking??

To me, most explainations Kinnies ever gave me. Were experiences that we'd already 'classify' with roleplaying, Larping, Cosplay, Furry, Copinglinking, Connections/Kith, .. (and usually not therian/otherkin). Classify with already existing communities with existing terminology and places.
And therefore I believe, Kinnies are 'those who fall out of the boat, but are crawling back into it.'

Another Quote form a kinnie-defending comment on my video:

Quote:Kinnies come in a WIDE variety of experiences, ranging from 'I think this is fun and I like to be a part of this community while strongly relating myself to fictional characters' to 'I am mentally Ill and this is a way for me to cope with that, sometimes voluntarily and sometimes involuntarily' to 'I consider myself to be spiritually and/or metaphysically this character and in some cases have memories of a past life as them.' These are generally refereed to as 'for fun' kinnies, coping kinnies, and spiritual kinnies

This, to me, sounds like: roleplayer/kid, Copinglinker, Spiritual Fictionkin. I don't understand, still, why it needs a new own term.

Most are besides that also children, and will just move on when they lose interest.
That's why I personally do not personally attack kinnies.

Besides that, it's not up to me to one-on-one try to 'convert' people or convince them of what is and what isn't their experience. I only speak as a representative of the majority of the community. I litterally repeat words of others. (in this specific post, I however mixed some of my own opinions as I'm here as myself. Not as youtuber)

We barely agree on what 'therian' means. So we cannot exactly gatekeep truely against kinnies, convert, fully exclude or dictate. I do feel we can however mak conclusions on when it's obvious one is just a kid trying to fit in. But that doesn't either give us the right to be an asshole and bite their butt. At the end, they'll leave on their own.

But I do, eitherway, heavily believe that 'Kinnies' are their own thing, linked or related to Otherkin & Fictionkin. I don't mean to say their experiences are fully made up. But they're different, and perhaps should have their own terminology instead of lending and stealing otherkin/fictionkin terminology. Which is highly confusing and counterproductive to the use of terminology. EX: last I saw a sentence on instagram saying 'I'm a kinnie. I'm a a valid Fictionkin. I can cope with my character all I wish, copinglink kinnies are not worth any less. I'm just an otherkin like all of you'. This, to me is just a big mix of 4 VERY different concepts (Kinnie, Fictionkin, Copinglink, Otherkin). All terms used as if they're interchangeable to eachother.

Last but not least, I don't expect everyone to agree with what I wrote here. This post is largely my personal experiences and view on 'Kinnie' and what to do with it. Be free, as Kinnie or just in general, to reach out to me in PM to explain your experiences or have a talk with me. That I got my opinion and experience, or my view on how to handle it, does not mean I'm ignorant to all else.

My opinions on otherkin, theriomythic and now even 'flicker' changed over the past 2 years. It's very well possible it'll do around Kinnie or Paratype or any other newborn term in the future too.

If someone is having Jesus shifts that's called stigmata. They should probably discuss it with their priest/pastor. (sorry... I had to... sorry...)
I feel mixed on the subject. Just a little disclaimer, I have a very hard time understanding fictionkin as a whole so this is just what I believe.

“Kinnies” aren’t inherently bad. But I have seen a rise of these people see a character and go “Lol I relate sooooo much xD that’s me kin :333”. Like no, that’s not how it works. Theriens and otherkin don’t just wake up and decide that they want to be a dragon, or a wolf, or a cat. “Kinnines” aren’t the same as a therian, most of the time they are just confused or kids just trying to have fun. And I’m not faulting them for that, they should have fun and enjoy themselves. But they shouldn’t latch onto the therian and otherkin community just because they don’t have anywhere else to go. But this is just my thought.

Also one more side note: “Kinnie” isn’t a slur, it was an insult. But like other things many have taken that and turned it into an identity, and I don’t personally think it’s wrong.
I won't say the depth of my distain for "kinnies" because I know this is a public forum. My animosity towards the grounp as a whole comes from my deep spiritual views tired to my therianthropy. The fact that these "kinnies" are stealing experiences and terminology from the otherkin and therian communities and then attacking the serious minded members of these communities is beyond unacceptable to me. Hence my quote likening them to someone stealing the terminology of the Christian community and behaving in their usual way.
If the group broke off all affiliation with the otherkin and therian communities I wouldn't have an issue with them any more. However it feels like they're hijacking these places we've worked so hard to build and maintain. I can only hope as the movement gains popularity, their association with our communities will dwindle and they will be able to establish their own experiences and independence so they are no longer damaging our community. I still view the behavior as ignorant and pathetic, but as long as it's not damaging those of us here I don't care about it.
There's a good assortment of opinions here, so I'll throw in my two cents.
Universally, I think most therians agree that therianthropy isnt a choice. From what I hear, kinning/kinnies are choosing their kin. Which, while not following the general "rule of thumb" that kin aren't chosen, it still keeps a similar experience of otherkinity. If "kinnie" isn't used as a joke made at the expense of a community, and there is a connection that a person makes to a non-human form (be it a fictional character, a earthly animal, a creature from myths, etc), then I'd consider it valid. It may not be exactly like the rest of us but at the heart of it, if there's something similar to us in the slightest, who are we to disregard them?
That being said, people who use kin, therian, kinnie, otherkin or related terms as a joke are not the same. And the joke isn't funny :,)
Misinformed teens and people that " relate " to characters ( mostly anime and tv shows ) and then call it therianthropy.

Most of the time they're not open to learn abput therianthropy and stick to their own made up terms
Honestly, I don’t really mind them. I don’t really think there’s anything wrong with “kinning for fun” or the evolution of the term “kin” into an umbrella term that includes fictionlink-type experiences. I call myself a kinnie pretty often despite having arguably few by-definition otherkin experiences. From what I’ve seen, this evolution of the term kinnie has contributed to a normalization of otherkin and therianthropy that I believe is beneficial to the perception of such phenomena.

(2019-08-04 5:00)Darkshifter2 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone!! I'm not sure if many remember me since I haven't been on these fourms properly in years now,, but I wanted to talk about something that I've noticed recently that's been bugging me ig. I'm sorry if there's already been a thread on this topic or this subject is in the wrong board!! If so, admins feel free to take this down or whatever. Smile
Anyway!!
Okay hi so I've noticed that recently there's been an upsurge of fictionkin on Instagram and Tumblr; and by fictionkin I mean people who see an anime character they like or relate to and are like "Wow kin!1!!". And nowadays the term "therianthropy" has been disregarded for using otherkin as a sorta umbrella term; which I guess it always has been, but never like this.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense n it's really rushed,, but yeah. What I wanted to know is: what are ya'lls opinions on this new wave of kids who claim they're "kin" when really it's just for fun or something they relate to? Personally I feel like it's harming the therianthropy/otherkin community, I'm glad that kinning is more talked about n no longer as taboo as it once was, but it becoming mainstream is turning therians n such out to be a joke, I feel like. Idk about you but I don't really want this community to be associated with "Oh you're a kinnie? Wow me too I relate to this character so much!!" Because that's... not what "kinning" is. Not seriously, anyway. It's a spiritual thing most of the time, right? And I feel like people are forgetting or twisting the meaning now. Idk.
Anyway, I apologise if this really didn't make any sense or it was disrespectful to anyone in any way. :') Like I said, I haven't actually been involved in this community since probably.. god, 2016. I'm not sure if this is accepted or not here. Btw, I'm not trying to say that fictionkin aren't valid, ofc they are!! I just don't think people who relate to a character n they say they're "kin" are. There's a big difference between relating to a character and being it, I've learnt.

I'm so so so glad I'm not the only one who is bothered by this.
It *sort of* feels like they're appropriating our community and taking *our* term and making it into a meme and nothing else. It especially bothers me when they're the same people who do or have made fun of people who're alterhuman. It's just like.
That's not your word...

Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's