Therian Guide: Forums

Full Version: Dino's list of misconceptions; what therianthropy is definitely not
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Done Tongue
Also added #4 of ymmv stating that not all kin are mentally ill, since a lot of people seem to think we are. I noted that some are but not a huge number.
Running out of things to add to the list. Suggestions?
I've heard its a mental disorder. Thats false right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(2015-09-18 16:39)Betalith Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard its a mental disorder. Thats false right?

Therianthropy is not classed as a disorder, no.

No; therianthropy is an identity while a mental disorder hinders psychological functioning.
Thanks, I forgot to put that up there!
Add that being a therian/otherkin is not in anyway a coping mechanism. Since that is a choice and being kin is not a choice.
I'd say if you're already a Therian or Otherkin, if focusing on that helps you cope, then that's fine, but having some issue with yourself and then saying "oh, I'm going to become a Therian/Otherkin to cope with it!" is not okay.

I mean, one of the ways I've been coping with my depression is to focus on the idea of shapeshifting (related to my Therianthropy), since it's a nice distraction. But that's because I'm already a Therian and thinking of the idea of being able to turn into my Theriotype makes me feel happier.
Yes like that Wayward. I'm pretty bad at wording things sometimes. Because i've been seeing people say they became therian to cope with something and it just makes me sit there with a billion question marks cause that's not really a thing.
I'll put it in the YMMV section. What should it say? I was going to put:
"Therianthropy itself isn't a coping mechanism, but it does/can help therians cope with things like depression, etc."
[Removed]
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's