READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Closed 
Why TG is here and why TG may close.
House Of Chimeras
Historian
Theriotype: aelurodon, frillshark, blueglacus, redtailhawk,etc
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick tick 

RE: Why TG is here and why TG may close.
(2015-01-29 14:36)dormant lullaby Wrote:  It's not a fear. It happens very plainly, everyday. There are people who are legit and can explain themselves with reason, often very intelligently (which in turn paints a respectful picture) and there are people who either need some mental help or need to stop fooling themselves into thinking they're something they aren't. (The picture that all kin are "insane" and have nothing better to do.

The description in your last paragraph is an explanation. A reasonable measurement with thought and relation to ones own experience... Not "I'm a Pokemon because I like them." There is a clear difference between real and pretend in the way it plays out. Ones actual claimed kintype is not the problem... It's how people present it, or show they lack the wherewithal to explain themselves to someone who may not understand.

Really it's the difference between "fluff" and someone who actually takes it seriously.
What you describe is not an issue with fictionkin specifically. It is an issue with anyone who identifies as nonhuman. I as a fictionkin have written a 15+ essay describing how and why I took on the label of "Named fictionkin" after coming across them, and taking note of how many traits lined up in similarity with my own species identity. (I headmate of mine who is a garou fictionkin is currently working on her own version of comparison and explanation. She's still working on it and its over 20 pages long now.) People who have taken on the label of fictionkin can have just as much rational as to why they took on that label as mythkin can.

- Miushra
2015-01-29 15:41
Save
Give Thanks
Beck
Certzi
Theriotype: Arctic Fox & Fictionkin
Contribution: tick tick 

The point though is the issue we're having with drama and trolls. This is a fair debate but maybe move it to the debate section or PM?

“Of course I’ll hurt you. Of course you’ll hurt me. Of course we will hurt each other. But this is the very condition of existence. To become spring, means accepting the risk of winter. To become presence, means accepting the risk of absence.”
~The Fox (The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)
2015-01-29 18:21
Save
Give Thanks
dormant lullaby
Banned
Theriotype: HLV | Sanguinarian
Experience: (therian?), (otherkin?)

The fictionkin issue is really not the point. It was an example. I could have easily also used the sparkly elven princess syndrome, or the 13 year old wolf therian who thinks they're an alpha as similar examples...

The issue is those who take this all at face value. Whether it's an outsider or someone within the so-called online community itself. Some people let the enchantment get away from them, or look to be something cool, with little to no analyzed experiences to back it up...

The issue is that while fluff is allowed to breed, interested on-lookers are scared away, trolls are fed, and valuable individuals worth a damn go into lurk mode deeming the community not even worth the energy. A vicious cycle that allows for little progress and growth.
(This post was last modified: 2015-01-29 20:57 by dormant lullaby.)
2015-01-29 20:56
Save
Give Thanks
Astromars
United Wolves and Loyal Destiny
Theriotype: Vancouver Island Wolf

Dormant Lullaby,as the other Moderator proposed,it'd be wise to discuss about that issue about trolls in Debate Section or with any person you want in a more private level Smile

[Image: Wolfcover_zps5dad633d.jpg]

"Truth is many people will hurt you.You just have to find the ones worth suffering for"
2015-01-29 20:59
Save
Give Thanks
BlackWolf
Pale Rider
Theriotype: Wolf and Wolverine
silvertick silvertick 

Agreed, moving to private chat would be best.

I Can Hear What You're Thinkin'
2015-01-29 21:41
Save
Give Thanks
Raz
Away
Rewr
Theriotype: Dragon, Reptile
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick tick 
tick tick 

I'm just going to bump in here because this needs to be said; When a person is genuine about their experiences, and have given much thought into it, trying to invalidate them is not ok, unless the experience might be harmful in some way. If you don't like a certain experience, that's fine, but don't go around trying to invalidate other people and making them feel bad. It's actually quite hurtful and unesessary.

Move on.
2015-01-29 21:58
Save
Give Thanks
Euipoi
Founder of TG
Theriotype: Mackenzie Valley Wolf

(2015-01-29 4:14)dormant lullaby Wrote:  My response for the starting post ☺

1. From my experience, Therian groups are tend to be drama prone regardless of the variable. Not sure what the deal is there, but it really hasn't changed at all in 10+ years. LJ just changed to Tumblr, and MySpace to Facebook. Drama will still abound.

2. 2011/2012? Only a few people? Hm… the online otherkin and therian communities to my knowledge have existed since the 90s. Some before then in smaller groups… either way, some ego to believe that the “drama” started anywhere specific, or within a specific time frame, or site. Especially when you think you have anything to do with it Tongue

3. It does not help that most of the sites are run by teenagers, or otherwise be so 'open minded' to allow children to basically just "play pretend" on what's supposed to be a serious topic which is...

4. NOT helping real therians and otherkin. As much as some of you think fiction-kin are A-OKAY, they are really not doing anything positive for the outsiders looking in.

5. We may all have human meat suits, but we are not all the same. We need to accept that we come from different walks of life and accept our differences. It’s okay. We don’t have to be family to be friendly with one another, but we’re still, for the most part, strangers.

6. You don’t get paid to keep the forum up. Okay. Well, I’m not sure who asked you to even pay for it. There are free websites and forums you can make. TG doesn’t have to “die” because you can’t pay for it.

7. Again… “DRAMA DRAMA” will exist until the end of time. No one site or person is “stuck” on drama. It is no way a new phenomenon. It’s human nature. It just happens.

8. Drama wars… meh. I think sometimes they are necessary. People are just trying to find their own tribe. Sometimes fighting is a great way to learn more about a person. It’s kind of hard to socialize with people in a different age group, with different goals, aspirations, etc. Having tiffs here and there are just social challenges… testing the metal, so it were.

9. Therian kindergarten! Hahaha. Well, you kind of ARE running a kindergarten around here… you forget some of the members’ ages already? Hamster Dance

10. Easier way to run a site. Do it for free… like many other online communities have and continue to do so. It’s great to have a dream, but obviously there are things that are lacking in TG that hold any solid foundation for reasonable growth. It’s kind of just chaos… but then again, I guess that’s the natural way. Any new community or group has to have its’ ups and downs before leveling out. Keeping its’ serious folks and leaving the others behind, for the good of the group.

11. “I am simply a person and I can not MAKE you stop acting like an idiot even if i wanted to.”

Well, welcome to the world. Welcome, more specifically, to the Internet.

Sometimes your better judgment might insult someone. But there has to be a point where you put your foot down. Putting boundaries and not letting just anyone do anything they want. I’m not saying put a “no fighting” or “no arguments” sign on every section… allow people to fight, if remained civil, if they want to. But also use your common sense, too.

12. “I just don't feel like any therian or otherkin communities are what they used to be anymore.“
That is, in part, due to the sheer amount of BS being allowed to slip through the cracks. More and more people are just ‘accepted’ without a lot of questioning, or prodding. And, well, like most things today… MUS breeds even more MUS. (Made Up Sh*t) ☺ Vicious cycle. Not saying we should be rude to people, but taking a stand for common sense and even just a little bit of reason, can go a long way...

1. Drama is always everyplace but it has increased.
2. Things boomed during this time, if you look at statistics.
3. Most people discover themselves at a young age.
4. I'm not going to argue to you about fictionkin, im very skeptical about it but im not going to shove anyone away.
5. mkay. yes!
6. nobody asked me to pay for it. It was something i started to benefit other members and have a legit spot in GOOGLE when the terms "therian" was searched. If you want a serious website there are things that need to be done. Prices change.
7. It does but there is a point where things just get OUT OF HAND.
8. Drama needs to be off TG, and ive been in plenty of drama free communities and it doesn't need to happen. Ive run multiple websites, drama always creates bad things.
9. Less then half are pups.
10. LOL who takes freehosting sites seriously? There is limited space and they die off so fast (unless your lucky) and you hardly have access to change anything, Google laughs at it, and we wouldn't be recognized as much. Oh and if the free hosting wants to they can randomly shut down. If we had a free hosted website we wouldn't have half the features or recognition we do. If you study Search engine optimization, website ranking, and how serious people take websites on domain names then you would know this. Like I said i made this site for people to ENJOY, which most are doing the opposite.
11. Obviously its the world, and that's what i POINTED out in that statement.
12. There is no "questioning" how can you tell somebody they are or are not if you do not feel their personal experiences and this is why i said that there are NO RULES in therianthropy, just a few boundaries.

[Image: badge1.png]
We all suffer, but we recover, just to discover life where we all are.
(This post was last modified: 2015-01-29 22:14 by Euipoi.)
2015-01-29 22:11
Save
Give Thanks
Euipoi
Founder of TG

On the side note, we were going to go on with the private invite idea. Smile

2015-01-29 22:18
Save
Give Thanks
dormant lullaby
Banned
Theriotype: HLV | Sanguinarian
Experience: (therian?), (otherkin?)

No harm in a bit of ranting, you should know that (hence your first post.) Anyways...

Quote:10. LOL who takes freehosting sites seriously? There is limited space and they die off so fast (unless your lucky) and you hardly have access to change anything, Google laughs at it, and we wouldn't be recognized as much. Oh and if the free hosting wants to they can randomly shut down. If we had a free hosted website we wouldn't have half the features or recognition we do. If you study Search engine optimization, website ranking, and how serious people take websites on domain names then you would know this. Like I said i made this site for people to ENJOY, which most are doing the opposite.

I do know, actually. But, when you want to go with a private invite idea? Why keep up with a paid site when new members will have to be invited anyways?

Just curious where the train is going...
2015-01-29 23:23
Save
Give Thanks
Euipoi
Founder of TG

(2015-01-29 23:23)dormant lullaby Wrote:  No harm in a bit of ranting, you should know that (hence your first post.) Anyways...

Quote:10. LOL who takes freehosting sites seriously? There is limited space and they die off so fast (unless your lucky) and you hardly have access to change anything, Google laughs at it, and we wouldn't be recognized as much. Oh and if the free hosting wants to they can randomly shut down. If we had a free hosted website we wouldn't have half the features or recognition we do. If you study Search engine optimization, website ranking, and how serious people take websites on domain names then you would know this. Like I said i made this site for people to ENJOY, which most are doing the opposite.

I do know, actually. But, when you want to go with a private invite idea? Why keep up with a paid site when new members will have to be invited anyways?

Just curious where the train is going...

TG guide is what ranks us on google (the face that we have therian-guide.COM), and the guide will always be open to public. This is because there are a lot of researchers and younger members who need some kind of information. When you search "therian" on google we come up on the first page (not the forums the guide) and the least we could do is offer information which still has some kind of sense still. I hope that people in the therian community can have some kind of credibility with a professional looking site that all ages can understand - because obviously researchers wont take free domain sites seriously since anyone could write one up (and premade layouts eeeeeii!)and anyone who isnt serious about it wouldn't be paying to keep information up if it was not valuable.

(This post was last modified: 2015-01-29 23:39 by Euipoi.)
2015-01-29 23:34
Save
Give Thanks
Thread Closed