READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Closed 
Plurality, systems, ect
LycanTheory
Doggo
Theriotype: Shepherd dog
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick tick 
tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team.

RE: Plurality, systems, ect
(2020-11-25 3:14)Kharyena Wrote:  
(2020-11-24 18:29)LycanTheory Wrote:  "Singlets" - is this a term that carries a derogatory connotation? To some, it feels like it.
From my perspective, no. Transgender people have coined the term cisgender to refer to people who's gender identity matches their sex assigned at birth, no negative connotation intended. Many trans people suffer serious harassment, violence, and death threats from cisgender people, and may decide to vent about it. When viewed without proper context and understanding of what trans people go through, trans people complaining about cis people might make it seem like the word cisgender carries negative connotations. Some poor souls may be so beaten down that they come to resent cisgender people, and in their reality, the term could be viewed in a derogatory manner, which will color how they use it.

Singlet is a term that just means someone who is not plural.

This makes sense.

I know I've seen the term "cishet" thrown around in a derogatory context and that's something I do not agree with. I suppose "singlet" could be used in a similar manner but in both cases, the person using the term and the context of it is key.

I suppose neither are inherently disparaging.

Lyc

[Image: Lycan.png]
"It takes incredible strength and courage to be different from everybody else, but it's a good thing."
2020-11-25 3:34
Save
Give Thanks
Tdae
Eager beaver
Theriotype: southern Rocky Mountain wolf
Experience: Human
Contribution: tick tick 
.$team.

(2020-11-24 9:41)Kharyena Wrote:  We've only encountered the term headmate recently, and those who used it appeared to view it as an umbrella term that included alters, tulpas, soulbonds, thoughtforms, and any other term for someone who is with you in your noggin, regardless of the reason they are there. Because alter and tulpa are both potentially valid explanations for why Yena is here from our point of view, they picked headmate as a placeholder until we figure it out.

We know that we are each responsible for the system. We know that we still have a lot of work to do on our issues, and will be getting help soon. We're trying to do what work we can in the mean time.

It was not my intention to point my finger at anyone but just to express my opinion on the terminology of head mates and to comment generally on the problem with some people refusing to take responsibility for their alters' actions.

(2020-11-24 9:22)DustWolf Wrote:  Let me just point out to anyone who might be reading this, that as a person I am quick to fault myself for any issues. This often leads me into a trap where all someone has to do to convince me that my arguments don't stand a chance is claim to be an authority.

For example:
(2020-11-23 18:38)searchingforvanora Wrote:  plurality does not, and should not require treatment, at least not to the degree of getting rid of the person's system. plurality was caused by the person's brain coping with horrible trauma, and by getting rid of alters or even and entire system it forces unneeded and triggering trauma onto the main of the system, and may leave them worse off in the long run. singlettes need to understand that systems are a coping mechanism. now some systems may need help and therapy to become healthier, but you cannot force the system to come back together unless the main is 100% willing ready and able to accept it and cope and handle it, or else they will simply split again.

The identity animal and the main of the system should be the ones to decide the matter, as it is their own mental state and personal life.

This... sounds right. After all, what do I know, I'm a "singlet".

But what is written here is in direct contradiction with what I know of DID from scientific literature on the subject. @BearX and others point out the logical fallacy of claiming a debilitating condition does not require treatment.

This is not the first time someone has come to TG with the claim that their mental condition does not require treatment, it is an understandable, but nonetheless dangerous position. Even actual DID itself is after all a form of hiding from reality. As we have said before, if you have a medical condition, seek medical help, don't try to hide in online communities and pretend the problem doesn't exist -- we will not take responsibility for the effects on your health.

Don't expect us to be understanding of your behaviour due to your condition, especially if it is harmful towards others or disruptive.

Allow me to quote Clifford N. Lazarus, Ph.D. from his contribution to Psychology Today:
Quote:In truth, if MPD or DID even exists, it is amazingly rare. In fact, within my professional network, not a single competent therapist I know of has ever seen a legitimate case of DID. Thus never, in my experience, among dozens of clinicians who have provided treatment to literally thousands of clients spanning decades of clinical practice, has a single person ever been identified as a bona fide DID sufferer.

Quote:Hence, the danger for the consumer is that if a therapist unquestioningly buys into the label, the therapist will be likely to find or, worse yet, manufacture evidence that supports the diagnosis. Even more alarming is that some clinicians actually encourage behaviors that seem consistent with the label, which increases the likelihood that the client will act more like the label and begin to "fit" into this diagnostic category.

The net result is that the real, underlying psychological disturbance won't be properly addressed and the client will fail to derive any true therapeutic benefits from the "treatment." Even worse, he or she might be harmed due to the common emphasis that DID therapy places on "recovered memories," which in itself is a tremendously problematic issue.

Therefore, if you have DID, I will ask you to get it treated. And I will ask you not to advertise your condition within our community, possibly doing exactly the kind of harm noted above, to other people in our community.

I want to comment about the magazine excerpt. Therians experience things that regular people do not relate and might disbelieve, right? People here have expressed frustrations about misinformation. There is distrust when non-therians come in here for research because they sometimes get it wrong and publish misinformation.

Please understand misinformation is a serious issue for DID as well. It can seriously impact quality of life and endanger the patients when the professionals are misinformed, untrained, and don't know how to identify DID let alone treat it. The article from Psychology Today is misinformation. Some of what the author says it true as there is a history of incompetent treatment harming patients. But how can he know anything about the diagnosis and treatment of a condition which he is skeptical even exists? He doesn't know what he is talking about. I don't want to bore everyone with long explanations, but here is a link to actual information if anyone is interested: https://www.isst-d.org/resources/

To comment on @searchingforvanora point above, of course I cannot know the situation for sure but I think I understand the point. Even knowledgeable professionals can underestimate the difficulty of doing integrative work and it is certainly dangerous to rush treatment too quickly. On another forum I made a comment like "the therapist thinks he can do brain surgery with children's glue and scissors and can't understand why the patient is resistant." It is a common misconception that alters should become integrated as this is not necessarily true. It is more correct to say the goals of treatment would be to stabilize the patient and then work on improving the integrative functioning of the mind, ie improving communication and cooperation between alters.

(2020-11-24 18:29)LycanTheory Wrote:  I believe mention of DID may be counterproductive to discussing the experience of pluralty because it seems to bode a "science vs experience" argument. At least for me, this is a distraction. If I wanted a scientific understanding of something there is a slew of research journals I could comb through on my own accord.

There seems a bit of animosity between psychiatric/psychological pluralty and spiritual pluralty. This is unfortunate.

I don't relate to or understand "science vs. experience" argument. I have relied upon science to make sense of my experiences which were bewildering, painful, and chaotic before I learned about scientific theory to make sense of it. It's still painful and debilitating but not so chaotic now. Maybe I am dogmatic about my beliefs but it's because I need to be grounded in reality as much as I can.

Like Dustwolf said,
DustWolf Wrote:Even actual DID itself is after all a form of hiding from reality.
I chuckled at the irony of a human who believes he is a dog accusing others of hiding from reality, but it is true. Hiding bad memories from ourselves, hiding from knowledge of things we don't want to know, hiding from humans and the world, hiding the toxic waste that feels like poison in my blood when I feel it... hiding.

And I guess that's why I would be skeptical of so-called spiritual plurals, because I think they're hiding something too.

LycanTheory Wrote:It seems to me that those involved in plural spaces may be insulated from or unaware of the trend of kids on social media acting as plural imposters and what damage this causes both to their own communities and to others. I am also under the impression that the frequency and magnitude of this trend may not be fully realized by plurals.

True I am not familiar with this but it seems kind of creepy and spreading more misinformation.
(This post was last modified: 2020-11-25 5:42 by Tdae.)
2020-11-25 5:39
Save
Give Thanks
LycanTheory
Doggo
Theriotype: Shepherd dog
Experience: Therian
Contribution: tick tick tick 
tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team.

(2020-11-25 5:39)Tdae Wrote:  
(2020-11-24 18:29)LycanTheory Wrote:  I believe mention of DID may be counterproductive to discussing the experience of pluralty because it seems to bode a "science vs experience" argument. At least for me, this is a distraction. If I wanted a scientific understanding of something there is a slew of research journals I could comb through on my own accord.

There seems a bit of animosity between psychiatric/psychological pluralty and spiritual pluralty. This is unfortunate.

I don't relate to or understand "science vs. experience" argument. I have relied upon science to make sense of my experiences which were bewildering, painful, and chaotic before I learned about scientific theory to make sense of it. It's still painful and debilitating but not so chaotic now. Maybe I am dogmatic about my beliefs but it's because I need to be grounded in reality as much as I can.

Like Dustwolf said,
DustWolf Wrote:Even actual DID itself is after all a form of hiding from reality.
I chuckled at the irony of a human who believes he is a dog accusing others of hiding from reality, but it is true. Hiding bad memories from ourselves, hiding from knowledge of things we don't want to know, hiding from humans and the world, hiding the toxic waste that feels like poison in my blood when I feel it... hiding.

And I guess that's why I would be skeptical of so-called spiritual plurals, because I think they're hiding something too.

You bring to light something significant here, Tdae.

Neurological research has shown us that there is often a conflict in the brain between the analytical network which processes critical thinking and the social network which processes empathy and moral reasoning. The way these two networks operate is by suppressing one another when we think about any given topic which requires reasoning, this is often why we seem to fail in conveying information in certain discussions because most people default to using one network or the other to make sense of a thing. It is why those who lean toward science tend to often appear as they are lacking in empathy and why those who lean toward faith, experience, spirituality tend to dismiss empirical information. Some of us are able to strike a balance between the two types of thinking while others will favor one or the other to make sense of the world around us.

Those who are more balanced in their reasoning, naturally, are able to come to agreement over a wider array of topics as are those who's reasoning lean on the same network. Individuals who's reasoning are based on opposite networks, however, are much more prone to conflict because their reasoning is coming from a different part of the brain. They literally aren't thinking the same way.

To bring this relevant to the topic, "DID" is a term which is sure to draw interest from the science minded as it is a psychological/psychiatric condition. Is this the only way one is able to make sense of and deal with a disassociative identity or pluralty? Of course not. Humans made sense of this stuff using the social network in their brains for thousands of years before empirical data became a thing and many of us still do.

I suppose the important point here is that there can be no right or wrong in how we make sense of ourselves and the world around us. I would say that our reasoning should not bring harm to others but of course, that's my social network reasoning that the way I make sense of the world should not cause others distress.

Lyc

[Image: Lycan.png]
"It takes incredible strength and courage to be different from everybody else, but it's a good thing."
(This post was last modified: 2020-11-25 16:35 by LycanTheory.)
2020-11-25 14:44
Save
Give Thanks
Thread Closed