READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plant Therians
elinox
Doctor Who?
Therio-Type: wolf
Therian: Yes
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick 

RE: Plant Therians
(2018-01-04 2:46)Damien Wrote:  I always thought otherkin was identifying as a creature that doesn't exist. So, plants exist. I mean, if they're not animals but still living creatures, shouldn't they not be called "otherkin"? I guess that's how I see it.

Otherkin, by the most basic definition of the term, is simply "someone who identifies, in some way, as non-human". That's it, it's really that simple. In which case, therianthropes, phytanthropes, etc. ARE otherkin. The communities grew up independently from one another so that's usually where the separation comes from. There are other reasons too, less than polite, but I won't derail this thread further. At the end of the day, we're all experiencing something non-human. Wink

[Image: o9gpo1L.png]
wolf | 36 | female-bodied | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | Alliance (worgen druid) | eclectic Wiccan witch
2018-01-04 14:57
Find
Recommend
Give Thanks
DustWolf
TG's family dog
Therio-Type: Wolf suntherian
Otherkin: No
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 

I'm more inclined to seeing it as an experience based thing, like @Kisota said.

It's not quite the same experience to see yourself as thinking the way an animal does to do the plant equivalent, because plants don't think. This is a real measurable difference between plants and brained animals.

LP,
Dusty

Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
2018-01-04 17:11
Find
Recommend
Give Thanks
WolfVanZandt
Elephant in the room
Contribution: tick tick 

My concern is that, if the underlying dynamics are the same, they should be in the same studies as therianthropes. We don't know if that's true or not so that should be cleared up first. If they are the same, then they're a distinct subset and should most definitely be included.
2018-01-04 17:16
Find
Recommend
Give Thanks
BearX
Prepping to Hibernate
Therio-Type: Coastal Brown Bear

Most of the studies I know of seem to be looking at otherkin broadly rather than therianthropes specifically -- so they would include phythanthropes.

[Image: bearxfooterlogo.jpg]
TG Staff | Forum Admin
(Avatar by Nik | Signature by Me)
2018-01-04 17:39
Find
Recommend
Give Thanks
StarDolphin
Sprinkles of Joy
Therio-Type: Interstellar Cetacean
Otherkin: Unsure
silvertick silvertick 

depends on what you mean by think. plants respond to their encironment, theres a cool video i always remember about plants. it was about a girl that placed sensors on a plant and recorded their reactions to stimuli and turned those signals into sound. she went on about how plants may not have a nervous system like animals but they have a kind of system , gets info and shares nutrients to nearby younger needy trees and communicate their status through array of underground connected network of fungi, it was so beautiful :3

on a more related note i thought since their of earth they could be therians, but technically otherkin is an umbrella term anyway :3

[Image: 2KhrBMh] HAPPY
[Image: X6oTw5]
(This post was last modified: 2018-01-05 2:27 by StarDolphin.)
2018-01-05 2:25
Find
Recommend
Give Thanks
WolfVanZandt
Elephant in the room

If you think about how like most wolf therians are actually like wolves (instead of like the popular views of wolves and werewolves) I think we can dispense with the necessity of plant therians being (or thinking) like plants. What I have noticed with plant and machine therians is not their similarities to plants and machines but a very striking intuitive understanding of the workings of plants and machines.
2018-01-05 5:23
Find
Recommend
Give Thanks
WildWolf
Pup
Therio-Type: Canine maybe? ~confused~
Contribution: tick 

(2018-01-03 22:37)ShyandWatchful Wrote:  are insect therians, still like therians? Or are they considered something else?

I would think so. They aren’t otherkin because otherkin have types that don’t exist on earth. Insects exist on earth and I would consider them part of the animal kingdom. So I would classify them as therians. There might of course be another word for it but my opinion is that they would classify as therians.

Call me Wild
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Problem With Here Is Where I’m From

"She is just some wild thing let her live love laugh and roam free on her own terms and she is sure to come back to you”
2018-01-05 7:06
Find
Recommend
Give Thanks
LycanTheory
Dog Missile
Therio-Type: Wolf/Demon/Shepherd dog
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 

(2018-01-04 17:11)DustWolf Wrote:  I'm more inclined to seeing it as an experience based thing, like @Kisota said.

It's not quite the same experience to see yourself as thinking the way an animal does to do the plant equivalent, because plants don't think. This is a real measurable difference between plants and brained animals.

LP,
Dusty

I've gotta agree with you, Dusty.

I'm not quite sure how anyone could conclude "I feel like a plant" but that may be due to a lack of discussion and lack of me, personally, being educated in that particular subset of non-human identity.

I'd enjoy hearing what a plant kin had to say as far as discovering their type and any shifts they might experience.

Lyc

[Image: 2d7c5ts.jpg]
Mercy for the lost
Vengeance for the plunderers
2018-01-05 9:14
Find
Recommend
Give Thanks
DustWolf
TG's family dog
Therio-Type: Wolf suntherian
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 

(2018-01-05 2:25)StarDolphin Wrote:  depends on what you mean by think. plants respond to their encironment, theres a cool video i always remember about plants. it was about a girl that placed sensors on a plant and recorded their reactions to stimuli and turned those signals into sound. she went on about how plants may not have a nervous system like animals but they have a kind of system , gets info and shares nutrients to nearby younger needy trees and communicate their status through array of underground connected network of fungi, it was so beautiful :3

Oh, my specialization is microbiology, I know more about mycorrhiza and the way plants respond to their environment (and the tomato studies you've talked about) than probably most people on this forum. But these reactions you are talking about are not perception, there is no internal state anywhere in the plant to represent the image of the outside world that the plants interact with. It's like how your liver can respond by processing alcohol without being aware of the pint you drank the other day, it's a cellular response (and one of the basic things that cells do, in general, plant, fungi, bacterial, animal and all).

In fact it is this aspect that makes the entire argument of plant therianthropy so unconvincing. While it is conceivable that a plant may have some idea of itself, and the world around it, in some limited manner, this state would be so far removed from anything that we humans are capable of perceiving of the plant that it would be impossible to recognize those sensations as being similar to what say, an oak would experience, without anthropomorphizing the plant to a great degree. An oak has no perception of it's visual appearance or sense of touch to recognize where it's roots go, it has no sense of how it's leaves sway in the wind, other than perhaps a sense of air humidity around it's leaves and a concept of day and night. It does not struggle to reach the light, instead it senses dim light and instinctivelly grows faster in it. It has no feeling whatsoever on the surface of it's bark and it's wood is dead to it similar to how us humans regard our nails. These are again things we can determine with certainty by studiying their anatomy. There is nothing a human would see as oaklike in the "experiences" of an oak.

For example in wolves, the equivalent of this would be for someone to consider themselves a wolf therian, because they are proud and wild or because they are vicious -- because this is how humans perceive wolves to be, this is how we anthropomorphize the wolf's reasons for acting. Sure the experience is real and I have no right to call it invalid, but I think we will all agree this is not therianthropy. It is no different for plankin.

P.S.: I've looked up this essay to see if I can find anything in the descriptions of the experiences, that a plant might theoretically be capable of sensing. I may have to read it again, but I don't see much.

I agree that even tough I knew I was a wolf therian for most of my life, I too am guilty of finding things about me that are wolflike, after having already learned from books and media, that those things are what wolves do, but in this essay I can see nothing else. It even contains many of the popular misconceptions about plants from BBC documentaries. Again, not invalidating the experience, it just isn't the same thing as the therianthropy I've experienced -- it's not the experience of being the entity. It's more like a kind of psychological kinship with the idea of what the entity must be.

I can accept that there is a group of people out there, maybe the otherkin, that consider this to be what their experience is, but I'm not okay with it being equated to what the concept of therianthropy is.

LP,
Dusty

Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
(This post was last modified: 2018-01-05 15:00 by DustWolf.)
2018-01-05 11:54
Find
Recommend
Give Thanks
StarDolphin
Sprinkles of Joy
Therio-Type: Interstellar Cetacean
silvertick silvertick 

hmm, i think i see your point. i didntget why youd consider plantsseparately, though i guess i see your reason to, at least,since the experienceas a community are be different than animals. also if there are seoarate community that evolved, i guess that says something about a more common experience amoung them maybe? id love to talk to a plant kin about it. i read once about onelong time ago that experienced branchesas limbs i think. not sure if they knew of the otherkin term,i guess not, byt they had many blogs on limb shifts. im guessing it can be different from everyone,this one said they hadhybrid experiences.

[Image: 2KhrBMh] HAPPY
[Image: X6oTw5]
(This post was last modified: 2018-01-05 15:32 by StarDolphin.)
2018-01-05 15:30
Find
Recommend
Give Thanks