READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Online harrassment/bullying and the therian community.
LycanTheory
Doggo
Theriotype: Shepherd dog
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick tick 
tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team.

Online harrassment/bullying and the therian community.
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure how many folks know of the recent news regarding what happened to a legendary gaming developer named Near/Byuu. Essentially, they were doxxed, harrassed and bullied to the point of committing suicide by a notorious hate forum full of the internet's most vile people.

If anyone would like to read the last words of Near, they can be found here. I typically am against CW/TW type stuff but proceed to that link with caution. Those words resonated with me deeply and it hurts to know that someone else knew a similar pain. It hurts to know that it swallowed someone whole.

The reason for this announcement is because I have observed a similar culture forming in the therian and otherkin community as the one which lead Near to take their own life. Unironically, the largest bullies in our community are also a part of Kiwifarms, they do engage in doxxing and harrassment and they support and enable the harmful, sometimes fatal, mistreatment of others.

Our community is composed of so very many individuals who are sensetive, who've lived through abuse, hatred, neglect, abandonment and we really don't need to let a type of culture ferment which enables and encourages mistreating others "for the lolz" or for any other reason. We must stand tall, in unison, and draw a very clear line in the sand.

Hate has no home, here and neither do those that perpetuate or enable it.

It can be frightening, standing up to hate or intolerance. Malicious people will always try to coerce or intimidate you onto their side, their bandwagon. "Join us or you'll be the next victim" is the mentality often fostered. Don't ever think that's your only option, don't ever feel like you're all alone in wanting to be a good person and treat others well. Stand on the side of love, compassion, understanding and acceptance. We're the stronger side and we're going to win.

For Near, for you and all your friends, for our entire community. For everyone who's ever been treated like crap for being different.

Stand tall, stand proud, stand together and stop the hate, stop the harrassment and stop anyone else from becoming a victim.

Be kind to others, you might just be a hero for it.

Lyc

[Image: Lycan.png]
"It takes incredible strength and courage to be different from everybody else, but it's a good thing."

pfp by Jadeeyedwere
2021-06-30 16:51
Save
Give Thanks
Bubbles
Murder mittens >:3
Theriotype: Cheetah, dragon, canine.
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick 
.$team..$team.

RE: Online harrassment/bullying and the therian community.
Thanks Lyc, for speaking out about this. It is an issue that resonates very closely to my heart.

I think TG's system of accepting members is already really great, but if someone slips through the cracks and you find yourself being discriminated because of your therianthropy, please don't feel too afraid to reach out to staff. they're here to help.

If you're being discriminated elsewhere... TG is always here for you. We love you, and we are here to support you no matter what. I'm open to any PMs if you want to chat about stuff, and many others here are too.

You're not alone in whatever you're struggling through. We're here. Heart cat

I'm Bubbles. I'm what's called a Pup Representative. If you have anything you'd like to talk about that doesn't seem important enough to report to staff, tell me instead and I'll give you some advice and a helping hand.
:R:
2021-06-30 19:26
Save
Give Thanks
Windracer
Pup
Theriotype: Horse/Wyvern/Polymorph

I couldn't agree more, Lycan.

My computer blocked the link, so could you perhaps post what they said, or maybe just tell me the site the link leads to so I can read the words myself on another device? It's honestly heartbreaking that people could be vile enough to cause someone to commit suicide, and for what? Being different? It's disgusting, quite frankly.

All it takes is a few seconds of insane courage
2021-07-01 13:43
Save
Give Thanks
SheilaGrace
Away
Just an individual animal
Theriotype: Wolfdog
tick tick tick 
silvertick 

Of course, I'm standing on your side Lycan. We stand as one.

So, I personally feel. The key point is, not to fight on their field. Do not fight in the modern colosseum. Instead, break the colosseum itself.

Modern human rule whispers that 'If you want to get rid of suffering as a victim, be a new offender to victimize your offender'. Perhaps, it's within an allowance of the rule.
Like, we can accuse someone because of the suicide trigger, and draw mass people's attention to avenge the offender. However. If that 'new victim' commits suicide and another someone accuses us because of another suicide trigger? And the endless cycle of hatred begins. This is what I'm calling 'evil humanity'. The negative side effect of Oxytocin.
However.
Oxytocin has a good effect too. It is the hormone of love and unity. It boosts the feeling of love and sympathy. But if it gets corrupted, the blessing turns into a curse. The origin is the same. Love and hatred, these are two sides of one coin.

So. The subject is, if we can take control of the neurological transmitter. Otherwise, we'll be controlled and become a mindless slave of 'community's will'.
Many people are already brainwashed and under the control of that 'community's will'. Perhaps it's natural as a human. Sacrifice is already built-in in human's social systems for long history.
However.
I saw the possibility in us, therians and otherkins. Genetically, we might have the potential to refuse the command of 'community's will' and keep our own ability to think standalone. Because of the difference from 'normal humans'.
We all can be just an individual animal, who stands with their own will and own paws, no matter how normal people and the community do or think. I personally think, this is our strength. We can't be 'normal', at least so easily. But we don't have to do the same of 'normal'. Even if everyone is attacking or abusing someone for no reason, but we can refuse to join the bullies. We all have the potential to refuse the evil humanity.

Of course, I never force everyone to fight against those internet bullies. I just want to say that don't forget there are many choices. Hide, escape, secure some contacts and abandon the account, move to other platforms, other communities, or even other countries, and make other friends. There are many choices before we pick the ultimate end. We can break the colosseum's wall and escape endlessly. No matter how people behave or how the community says, but we can survive. Because we're just individual animals. We can make our own packs, regardless of the human community.

And. Personally, as a creator, I mourn the lost.
I'm sorry but I don't know them well. And I know this is not the only case. If I took one wrong step, I might have doomed too. Just, maybe, I was lucky, and I was not 'normal'. The difference is small, but sometimes it changes decisively.

What I still can do is only creation. Creation is the only way to defeat the void. Even if we avenge the offenders, but I don't think the creator will be happy enough. Because, creator's ultimate enemy is one's ability limit, and the 'nothingness'. Those internet trolls are just obstructs.
I'm really sad that creator got suffered by those unworthy people. But I personally don't play their 'game'. I don't fight in their colosseum. I work on what I should do. And working on something constructive is what all of us still can do.

I really hope everyone will never lose their true self. Please don't dive into the endless cycle of hatred. Please don't corrupt yourself to never be a mindless slave of 'community's will'.
That will be the most valuable memento for the lost. At least I personally think so.

Rest in peace, sincerely.
I mourn the lost, and bless the living. To make the future brighter, to never surrender before the evil humanity.

[Image: f63adf27073f9e1294e244cb27ac598b.png]
May your destination will be full of hope
~ 貴方の行く末に幸多からん事を
2021-07-01 14:12
Save
Give Thanks
Bubbles
Murder mittens >:3
Theriotype: Cheetah, dragon, canine.
.$team..$team.

(2021-07-01 13:43)Windracer Wrote:  My computer blocked the link, so could you perhaps post what they said, or maybe just tell me the site the link leads to so I can read the words myself on another device?

It leads to Twitter. Mine was blocked too and so sadly I haven't read it however much I had wanted to.

I'm Bubbles. I'm what's called a Pup Representative. If you have anything you'd like to talk about that doesn't seem important enough to report to staff, tell me instead and I'll give you some advice and a helping hand.
:R:
2021-07-01 19:57
Save
Give Thanks
LycanTheory
Doggo
Theriotype: Shepherd dog
tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team.

(2021-07-01 19:57)Bubbles Wrote:  

(2021-07-01 13:43)Windracer Wrote:  My computer blocked the link, so could you perhaps post what they said, or maybe just tell me the site the link leads to so I can read the words myself on another device?

It leads to Twitter. Mine was blocked too and so sadly I haven't read it however much I had wanted to.

for those who can't access Twitter (Click to View)

[Image: Lycan.png]
"It takes incredible strength and courage to be different from everybody else, but it's a good thing."

pfp by Jadeeyedwere
2021-07-02 14:23
Save
Give Thanks
AlphaLex
Away
Howler
Theriotype: Arctic Wolf/Werewolf?Cheetah?
Experience: Therian, (otherkin?)
Contribution: tick tick 
.$team..$team..$team..$team..$team.

Oh no ... not another.
I wish the best for their family, any friends of sorts on this hard time.
I dont understand why people can be so cruel , it is not needed nor helpful to anyone or anything.
I feel sorry for those people who spread hate also since they do not understand how to be respectful nor helpful nor kind to others, maybe to their own fault or none at all. I hope they can improve themselves or learn one day that actions have consequences and start being more responsible.
As for near, may they rest in peace , no longer are they being hurt but at the same time, how awful and disrespectful* for others to have caused their commit in the most nasty way possible.
I didnt know this person sadly, but i respect them as much as anyone else here does. Very dissapointing this still* happens.

[Image: tumblr_muatcfLbns1qk4ng3o1_500.gif]
"I Long To Be Wild And Free..."

Heart
(This post was last modified: 2021-07-02 16:29 by AlphaLex.)
2021-07-02 16:02
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Member is Online
slightly stressed wolf
Theriotype: Canis Lupus, Wolf
tick tick tick 
tick tick 
silvertick silvertick 
.$team.

Hey,

I guess such stories are all the more meaningful (compared to all the tragedy going on elsewhere in the world), because every one of us can relate to some of it. We've all been in a situation somewhat like it...

It is the natural human inclination to bully others. It is also natural to be wish to support those who bully others. They are survival instincts that were important in the human evolutionary past. While therians, are somewhat less likely to manifest human nature compared to most of humanity, we are still human and we are not imune to becoming the kind of people that sought to destroy Near, for no particular reason.

So it's important not to slip into bandwagonning with those who seek to hate or harm others. Let's try to remember that people are complex and that you can't really judge someone until you've really gotten to know them yourself.

Remember to be kind to each other. Know that we each carry the responsibility, to make positive contributions to the lives of those around us. Life is pretty dark without the kindness of friends and strangers.

Also: It's easy to show compassion for someone only once they are gone. Let us make sure we show compassion for those who still live as well.

LP,
Dusty

Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
2021-07-02 16:42
Save
Give Thanks