READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

New Therian talk: Therianthropy in the media
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Support pup
Theriotype: Arabian Wolf
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 
silvertick 
.$team.

New Therian talk: Therianthropy in the media
Hey guys,

Here's something to take your mind off of the recent pandemic drama: A new Therian Talk!

Episode #8 of the Therian Talk series. We discuss Therianthropy in the media, as one of the recent debates that we had on the forums, we decided to make a little episode about it.

Please forgive the blunders we made in the episode (Click to View)

Though if you have any feedback, we're always happy for that. Smile

Hosts: @Zefer Nezumi and @DustWolf
Editor: @coffeebear
Music: @Baumarius (Syamori)

LP,
Dusty

If you think I'm wrong just say so. Let's talk about it.
Most problems are man-made.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
(This post was last modified: 2020-04-12 10:36 by DustWolf.)
2020-03-15 0:35
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Support pup
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick 
.$team.

RE: New Therian talk: Therianthropy in the media

(2020-04-09 16:59)Kisota Wrote:  I feel my perspective has been misrepresented in this recording and would appreciate the removal of that section or some kind of disclaimer that I have expressed such.

Thanks.

Will do.

Sorry about that.

LP,
Dusty

2020-04-10 6:02
Save
Give Thanks
coffeebear
It's Complicated
Theriotype: Brown Bear
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick 

Hey, @Kisota - I did the editing, and I'd love to represent you as you intended - I read your comments in the chat room, when this was all being discussed, but either I misunderstood, or I missed something as I was trying to condense for time, or we neglected to mention something.

Removing your name would be quick and easy, but if you'd like to elaborate, we can adust accordingly. Please let me know, and we'll adjust as needed. Sorry, and thanks!

[Image: GvOr5nC.jpg]

It would be fitting, I think, if among the last man made tracks on earth would be found the huge footprints of the great brown bear.
― Earl Fleming
2020-04-10 6:07
Save
Give Thanks
DustWolf
Therian Guide Staff
Support pup
tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
silvertick 
.$team.

Hello,

Coffee completed the edit yesterday and I have replaced the video just now.

Because of the way YouTube works, there is a new upload and a new link and the old video has been set to private so that it's no longer viewable.

We've asked everyone who we know has advertised our video to update their links.

LP,
Dusty

2020-04-12 10:42
Save
Give Thanks
RKCoon
New
Theriotype: Raccoon Therian, other
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution:

Funny thing - Therians have made more than just a bit of media. They've also made the radar of the Canadian government. No joke. A fellow that goes by the name of Dr Nuka has been making a study of the furry community, at the funding of the Canadian government among others, and part of that has been one of his now retired coworkers looking into therianthropy.

Take a look -

https://youtu.be/_EvOTJJJ-DA

He gets into the therian side around 45m in, but i do suggest watching the entire vid if youve time. Ive attended three of his speeches, most recent last year and there's been a bit of change since this specific vid; and ive spoken directly to Dr Nuka a few times, sharp fellow. The TL DR version is, The Canadian and other governments were concerned about the furry community; wanting to know if they were a legit risk. Because currently therians make up a substantial portion of the furry community, we got looked at as well. What they found, in a nutshell, is that the furry community is one of the most friendly, welcoming, and helpful communities out there, and that science 'suspects' there's something more to the claim of therian than 'simple belief'.

Anywho, to the point of the original vid. This was a maaaasssiiivvvveeee argument, both in the therian communities and in the vamp communities way the hells back in the day, im talkin early to mid 2000s ish. On the vamp side, there was a relatively small but vocal group that wanted to be 'out n proud', while the majority of folks - gonna include myself in this one - said hell no we want no part of that. Same argument, to a lesser extent, on the therian side - this is where i saw a massive divide erupt between the furry community - being largely comprised of boisterous flamboyant gays, if im brutally honest - that were eager to be out n proud and the therians not wanting to risk it. Well, fast forward a decade and change, and the short answer is, with the mass plethora of furry events, meetups, conventions and the like, yeeeaaa the furries won *that* argument. Ill side note here, with the vamp community, those that did go public to advertise really did an atrociously *bad* job portraying vamps; usually in a laughably bad manner. (I took special delight dissecting it and embarrassing the hell out of some of the clowns that went on TV. Also in part why i dont call myself vamp anymore. )

Im sidetracking again. I agree - when it comes to mass media, getting fair and accurate representation is hopeless, which I might point out is exactly why Dr Nuka and his team went out of their way to look into and research the entire topic. Now, i will say, actively trying to have a spokesperson is iffy at best, IMHO, as it may seem like a drive for attention. That said, I was seriously considering doing my own therian panel at one of the furry conventions i frequent, more as a 'here's a basic intro if you are interested' thing; but of course all that got kyboshed this year. In fact I would say right now, we arent gonna be on anyone's radar for the foreseeable future. That said, though I think Im an outlier here, my therian side has no bearing on my professional life as it is simply 'a faith'.

If you campers ever wanna chat with someone that's been around the block a few times, feel free to fire me a ding.
2020-04-13 7:26
Save
Give Thanks