READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Guide to finding your species identity
Misha Pantanal
A Feathered Biped
Theriotype: Hyacinth macaw
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick 
.$team..$team..$team.

Guide to finding your species identity
If you feel non-human and/or am trying to find your species identity, this is a guide that I hope will help. Please reply to the threat to give feedback or ask for help.

My technique involves a methodical process that will take time and patience. But the species you find, you can be pretty sure will be you. This method uses taxonomic classification charts to narrow down potential orders, genuses, and finally species, looking at characteristics of each as we narrow down. It is normal to explore more than one route or species/genus at once. We start off by looking at each class of vertebrate: Aves, Mammalia, Reptilia, Amphibia, Agnatha (jawless fishes), Class Chondrichthyes (cartilaginous fishes), Class Osteichthyes (bony fishes). Remember that some species, such as sharks, will be included in one of the fish classes.

We look at the species in each class and narrow down the orders, genus' and finally the species that you are. We'll look into appearance (though be careful not to put too much emphasis on this), behaviour, mannerisms, temperament, vocalisations, etc until you feel sure about what your species is. Its a good idea to keep options open at first, start with orders and work your way down each level of classification. Don't forget that it's fine to go down multiple routes at once if they seem like possibilities.

When you look into a particular species, research the behaviour, mannerisms, temperament, vocalisations, typical personality, etc of the species by looking around at reliable sources on the internet. (Wikipedia was only used as a guide for finding species). You will not be a 100% match with the personality, as everyone is an individual including animals. Try looking into how you behave and feel both now and when you were younger, even as a child, to get a good idea of what you might be.

When you find your species and have looked properly into it, you'll know it is part of who you are. There's nothing quite like it in my experience.

Don't be afraid to reply to the thread if you get stuck, unsure, or want to celebrate a breakthrough (however big or small). Also if you are new and strugglign with species dysphoria, feel free to vent here too.

Some sources to get started:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertebrate#Traditional_classification

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird#Classification_of_bird_orders
(Note: corvids are passerines)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammal#McKenna/Bell_classification
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammal#Molecular_classification_of_placentals

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptile#Taxonomy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reptile#Phylogeny
(Fun Fact: birds are a type of theropod dinosaur)

That weird hyacinth macaw lady! cawheart

My blood belongs to the sea, my heart to the sky, and my mind to the cosmos

"I would rather spend my life close to the birds than waste it wishing I had wings"
2018-03-01 22:07
Save
Give Thanks
Remi
TurtleButt
Theriotype: Brown Bear, Polymoprh, Mutant Turtle (species)
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick 

RE: Guide to finding your species identity
pretty good guide ^V^ glade its not just one of them do mediation and you will know kinda ordeals and instead actually goes into more detail and something i can get around etc plus if it wasn't for you then i wouldn't have found my Bird Kintype so I'm pretty agreed with this ^V^ but people may think I'm being biased XD
(This post was last modified: 2018-03-01 22:21 by Remi.)
2018-03-01 22:17
Save
Give Thanks
Akira
Away
Serengeti queen
Theriotype: Wolf, Lioness, Fictionkin
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 
silvertick 

This is a great guide! ^_^

“Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You cannot withstand the storm.'
The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'“

Timber wolf/Lioness/Fictionkin | Chaotic neutral | Horse and bird hearted | Equestrian
2018-03-07 4:04
Save
Give Thanks
Vyt
Research Dog
Theriotype: Border Collie Dog
Contribution: tick tick 

I think this is a very comprehensive method. Sometimes people jump ahead only to whatever species (and similar species) they assume they are, when there might be an animal in a completely different branch that better fits all of their traits. So this is great for being sure to avoid that.

I am concerned that some people might find it daunting to try to go through literally all of animal taxonomy to find their type. It's a huge investment in time and effort.

The dog trots freely in the street/and sees reality/and the things he sees/are bigger than himself- Lawrence Ferlinghetti
2018-03-07 12:59
Save
Give Thanks
Cuddles
Away
Banned
Theriotype: Caracal ;)

(2018-03-07 12:59)Vyt Wrote:  I think this is a very comprehensive method. Sometimes people jump ahead only to whatever species (and similar species) they assume they are, when there might be an animal in a completely different branch that better fits all of their traits. So this is great for being sure to avoid that.

I am concerned that some people might find it daunting to try to go through literally all of animal taxonomy to find their type. It's a huge investment in time and effort.

Imagine being in my shoes then Laugh

I generally had to do that until I had some more information about myself to work with. At the end of the day, it is their choice, just as it is mine. If that is the process they wish to take, then it shall be done.

In the end, who says one has to go as specific? But that is off topic.

Good work Hy!

2018-03-07 13:42
Save
Give Thanks
elicat
Therian Guide Staff
anam fallain
Theriotype: Cat
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick tick tick tick 
.$team.

Great guide, thanks for sharing it.

I would wonder though if maybe there should be something added to the effect of "start here" since it is such a daunting, time-consuming process? Like if you feel X things already, start with the mammals? Just to make it a little less intimidating to get started. Wink

[Image: YJKCUsm.png]

cat | 42 | writer & published author | scuba diver | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | INFJ | eclectic Wiccan witch
2018-03-07 16:28
Save
Give Thanks
Misha Pantanal
A Feathered Biped
Theriotype: Hyacinth macaw
.$team..$team..$team.

Thank you for the feedback everyone!!

I see I have a couple of edits to make ^V^ But that's part of why it's here, to be improved so it can help people more effectively.

That weird hyacinth macaw lady! cawheart

My blood belongs to the sea, my heart to the sky, and my mind to the cosmos

"I would rather spend my life close to the birds than waste it wishing I had wings"
2018-03-07 16:50
Save
Give Thanks
Meridian
Somewhat slightly dazed
Theriotype: Great Cormorant

Wonderfully done. bheart

Phalacrocorax carbo | INTP | 5w4 | bi & polyam
"And there were so many fewer questions
When stars were still just the holes to heaven"
2018-03-07 19:11
Save
Give Thanks
SnowFall
Away
Elephant in the room
Theriotype: Great Horned Owl | Dog
Experience: Therian, (otherkin?)
Contribution: tick tick 

Great article Hy... Well done!
While I didn't start straight from the top myself, when I was looking for my owl theriotype I certainly used about this method! Especially when I narrowed it down to some specie of owl... at that point I started intensely researching any owl species I could find until I found the perfect one which I could truly say was me! cawheart
I did this again when looking for my dog type, which helped me avoid wild canids, though pinning down a breed is much harder ;-;

(2018-03-07 12:59)Vyt Wrote:  I think this is a very comprehensive method. Sometimes people jump ahead only to whatever species (and similar species) they assume they are, when there might be an animal in a completely different branch that better fits all of their traits. So this is great for being sure to avoid that.

Also... preach what Vyt just said here!!!
Been through this and it was the worst! Went from thinking I was some sort of feline to finding out I was an owl...
Glad that' over now... '^v^

[Image: the_early_bird__pixel_animation__by_vannbun-d8py54k.gif]
Normality is a paved road:
It's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow

Vincent Van Gogh
2018-03-07 19:38
Save
Give Thanks
LycanTheory
Banned
Theriotype:
Experience: Human