READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downtime
DustWolf
lvl100 floof wolf
Therio-Type: Wolf suntherian
Therian: Yes
Otherkin: No
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 

Downtime
Hi,

So as you might have noticed TG has been offline for about 10 hours today. But we got it fixed.

First of all, please don't worry. TG will not just poof and disappear one day. We take good care to make sure that will not happen. However, sometimes hiccups are to be expected.

Since we are running TG on our own equipment, this now means that when things break, the site stops working. Me and Lycan are working on a way to help with that, but a peice of equipment burned out before we got everything set up. So.. whoops, sorry about that!

I am also working on a third home for TG (in France), which we can use if all else fails. Just gotta get the paperwork sorted and stuffs... Takes time.

Thanks for understanding! Ear Fold

LP,
Dusty

If you think I hold something against you, you probably misunderstood.
The only person I hate is myself.

[Image: therapy%20wolf.png]
2016-02-17 19:49
Find
Give Thanks
Neon Rosettes
Away
Way/Wayway/Neon/Rose
Therio-Type: Jaguar
silvertick 

RE: Downtime
I'll do my best to keep people alerted that we know the site is down when it goes down for long periods of time via the Facebook page.

Of course Dustwolf can do that too, but if he's busy then I'll try to do it myself so no one worries that the site went down and no one in the staff know about it. c:
2016-02-17 20:10
Find
Give Thanks
SashaTiger
Away
Warm Tigger.
Therio-Type: Amur Tiger (Contherian.)
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick 

Question regarding my paranoia, may I ask what precautions are being followed for backing up the site database on a regular basis? I only ask this as two large communities I had once contributed to had fell fate to recursive backup destruction and a year or more of lost posts.

Quote:I am also working on a third home for TG (in France), which we can use if all else fails. Just gotta get the paperwork sorted and stuffs... Takes time.
In my ignorant view.. is a VPS out of the question? A top-grade server instance in the UK with 100ms ping from me across the pond.. can be had for ~10EUR/month.

~intense as usual tiger thoughts/hopefully not prying.
2016-02-18 22:46
Find
Give Thanks
DustWolf
lvl100 floof wolf

(2016-02-18 22:46)tigerface Wrote:  Question regarding my paranoia, may I ask what precautions are being followed for backing up the site database on a regular basis? I only ask this as two large communities I had once contributed to had fell fate to recursive backup destruction and a year or more of lost posts.

Complete real-time replication of the entire forum database, to a few other servers I own. There are also a few snapshots I keep around in case of oops. The files themselves do not change based on user input and so they are backed up one-time. Code modifications are tracked in the forums and therefore in the database.

Working on adding more servers to the replication scheme, just in case this country is swallowed by a volcano, or w/e. Plan on giving the staff access to the backups as well, so that they can keep them on their computers in case something bad happens to me.

(2016-02-18 22:46)tigerface Wrote:  
Quote:I am also working on a third home for TG (in France), which we can use if all else fails. Just gotta get the paperwork sorted and stuffs... Takes time.
In my ignorant view.. is a VPS out of the question? A top-grade server instance in the UK with 100ms ping from me across the pond.. can be had for ~10EUR/month.

That's it, except it's not UK, but France.

LP,
Dusty

(This post was last modified: 2016-02-18 22:57 by DustWolf.)
2016-02-18 22:57
Find
Give Thanks
SashaTiger
Away
Warm Tigger.
Therio-Type: Amur Tiger (Contherian.)
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick 

Ah, all that may satisfy me and hopefully one other.

It warms me to know that this place is taken care of inside and out by one of us.

~tiger
2016-02-18 22:59
Find
Give Thanks
DustWolf
lvl100 floof wolf

Hello,

Just a quick notice that we'll be doing some maintenance and the site might be inaccessible for a few minutes while we panickly search for what we unplugged.

LP,
Dusty

2016-02-19 17:23
Find
Give Thanks