READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Dino's list of misconceptions; what therianthropy is definitely not
Vallium
King of Kawaii
Theriotype: North American River Otter/WolfKith
Experience: (therian?)
Contribution:

RE: Dino's list of misconceptions; what therianthropy is definitely not
Ah, dinocanid! What a pleasant surprise to bump into you, I remember you from FA and forums, you also drew me a piece once.
2016-10-13 16:32
Save
Give Thanks
BearX
Therian Guide Staff
Prepping to Hibernate
Theriotype: Coastal Brown Bear
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick 
tick 
.$team.

I disagree with #9. The number of individuals with ASD in the community is a strong indicator that there likely is a genetic (or epigenetic) component to therianthropy -- exactly what that is, or it's nature will take time to discover.

[Image: bexarp.jpg]
TG Staff | Forum Admin
(Signature cobbled together by Me)
2017-07-06 17:26
Save
Give Thanks
Misha Pantanal
A Feathered Biped
Theriotype: Hyacinth macaw
Connection: Psychological
Contribution: tick tick tick 
.$team..$team..$team.

@BearX

I definitely agree that there is a link between Asperger's syndrome and therianthropy. My hypothesis is that having this means we are less constrained by the expectations and norms of society and so we explore our identities more freely. Also, there is some correlation between Asperger's syndrome and animal mentality. As Asperger's syndrome is genetic, this does indeed refute statement #9 if my hypothesis is correct.

That weird hyacinth macaw lady! cawheart

My blood belongs to the sea, my heart to the sky, and my mind to the cosmos

"I would rather spend my life close to the birds than waste it wishing I had wings"
2017-07-12 7:31
Save
Give Thanks
Snipe
Away
queen of the jungle
Theriotype: Lioness
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
silvertick 

@BearX
@Der_Hyazinth_Ara

I haven't noticed a particularly large number of therians with Aspergers, in fact off the top of my head can name only one- could you two please elaborate on where that information comes from?
2017-07-12 17:37
Save
Give Thanks
BearX
Therian Guide Staff
Prepping to Hibernate
tick 
.$team.

Several places, anecdotal reports from various sites. Many folks who were at the therian panels at AC. Conversations with IARP. I have Aspergers, for instance. Many have mentioned it to me on here in passing. I don't want to name anyone who might not want to be named, since some folks might be ashamed of having it.

Considering the rate in the US among males is 1:86 currently, just knowing the number I have talked to in the last few weeks puts it much higher than that.

@shmi, you may not have noticed the higher rate because it isn't something you talk to folks about normally? It often comes up with me because I and my sons both deal with it. I suspect that if you bring it up, you'll find that it is shockingly common.

TG Staff | Forum Admin
2017-07-12 19:11
Save
Give Thanks
Mr.Wolf
Membership declined
Theriotype: Wolf
Experience: (therian?), (otherkin?)

How does therianthrope differ to power animals & spirit animals?

I will point out a Power Animal is basically the Animal version if yourself Spiritually/energetically which can & does influence a person's personality, views etc.

So I hope its veiwed a fair question & not seen as trying to stereotype because I genuinely want to know?

I want to learn about Therians & their experiences that helped them realise what type they are?
2017-07-28 3:01
Save
Give Thanks
LycanTheory
Banned
Theriotype:
Experience: Human
tick tick tick 
silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick silvertick 

(2017-07-12 19:11)BearX Wrote:  Several places, anecdotal reports from various sites. Many folks who were at the therian panels at AC. Conversations with IARP. I have Aspergers, for instance. Many have mentioned it to me on here in passing. I don't want to name anyone who might not want to be named, since some folks might be ashamed of having it.

Considering the rate in the US among males is 1:86 currently, just knowing the number I have talked to in the last few weeks puts it much higher than that.

@shmi, you may not have noticed the higher rate because it isn't something you talk to folks about normally? It often comes up with me because I and my sons both deal with it. I suspect that if you bring it up, you'll find that it is shockingly common.

I'd also like to point out that many wind up figuring out they have ASD later in life but were affected so little by it that they never got tested until something else came up.

In essence, one could be ASD and live for years or potentially their entire life without even knowing it and all we have to go on are the statistics of cases that have been diagnosed. The ratio may indeed be much different than we think because of that.

Lyc

2017-07-28 3:07
Save
Give Thanks
BearX
Therian Guide Staff
Prepping to Hibernate
tick 
.$team.

(2017-07-28 3:07)LycanTheory Wrote:  I'd also like to point out that many wind up figuring out they have ASD later in life but were affected so little by it that they never got tested until something else came up.

I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my late 30s, as a consequence of my eldest son being diagnosed. According to his psychiatrist, 1:33 is probably the "natural" number and where it will ultimately level out. Folks with ASD tend to be strong systemizers -- which is why scientists, programmers, and engineer types tend to show it more than artists. It's just a difference, not a disability, when it isn't severe. (Severe ASD is heartbreaking -- I have a friend whose son is in his late 20s and has never spoken a word.) It's the reason the clinical community is moving towards a neurodivergent view rather than a disability one.

Autism shows up at significantly greater rates in the transgender community. It hasn't yet been studied in the otherkin community, but I am very confident the results will be similar.

TG Staff | Forum Admin
(This post was last modified: 2017-07-28 12:16 by BearX.)
2017-07-28 12:13
Save
Give Thanks
elicat
Therian Guide Staff
anam fallain
Theriotype: Cat
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
tick tick tick tick 
.$team.

(2017-07-28 3:01)Mr.Wolf Wrote:  How does therianthrope differ to power animals & spirit animals?

I will point out a Power Animal is basically the Animal version if yourself Spiritually/energetically which can & does influence a person's personality, views etc.

So I hope its veiwed a fair question & not seen as trying to stereotype because I genuinely want to know?

I want to learn about Therians & their experiences that helped them realise what type they are?

Therianthropy/Otherkin = Identifying AS something non-human; you are that creature on the inside. For example, I am a wolf.

Spirit Animal/Totem = Having an external animal spirit make itself known in your life for some purpose; it may or may not stay for your entire life. You are not this animal inside. Although in some cases, your 'kin type can be the same as your spirit animal. For example, one of my totems was a bottlenose dolphin.

Power Animal = In some modern teachings, your spirit animal is just the animal representation of you that you choose. Like in Harry Potter, it's basically your patronus. For example, my patronus is an otter.

A Spirit Animal/Totem chooses you, you choose your Power Animal. Make sense?

[Image: YJKCUsm.png]

cat | 42 | writer & published author | scuba diver | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | INFJ | eclectic Wiccan witch
2017-07-28 13:41
Save
Give Thanks
Skogulfr
Away
Wylfen Hæðen
Theriotype: Nil
Experience: (therian?), (otherkin?)
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 
silvertick 

Hi @Mr.Wolf I would suggest you make an introduction​thread under the introduce yourself so we can help you better

"You who are the civil man dying for the promised land; I live in the wilderness to avoid human emptiness."

And the wolf grows up in the woods....
2017-07-29 15:38
Save
Give Thanks