READ THIS!

Welcome to the Therian Guide forums.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Copinglinkers
ArchieAce
Local Cockatoo Thing
Theriotype: Cockatoo, Maned Wolf, Fictionkin
Experience: Therian
Connection: Psychological, Spiritual
Contribution: tick tick 

Rainbow Copinglinkers
For those of you who don't know, a copinglinker or copingkin is someone who claims to be therian/otherkin to cope with real-life stresses. The term was coined on Tumblr as well as being more prominently used there, giving you a pretty good idea on the situation. I hadn't heard it mentioned here before or seen a thread on it, so I decided to make one.

Most copinglinkers I've met have 50+ 'kintypes' and refuse to identify themselves as copinglinkers aside from when they're specifically asked, which paints the picture of Otherkin and Therian communities all having crazy numbers of 'types. It's annoying to me when a C'linker identifies themselves as Therian when that's not what they are--most tend to tarnish the community's image more than it already has been.

I don't think C'linkers should be associated with Otherkin at all, unless they are actually Otherkin as well as C'linker. I see the possible value in the coping mechanism, but I also believe getting professional help would be a better alternative.

What are your thoughts? It's just something that's been bothering me lately.
2018-08-26 5:07
Save
Give Thanks
Vyt
Research Dog
Theriotype: Border Collie Dog

RE: Copinglinkers
I feel like we have discussed this somewhere, though there might not be a dedicated thread to it. The general opinion I have seen here (and from some of the reasonable people on Tumblr) is that therianthropy is not a choice or a coping mechanism, and coping linkers are not therians/otherkin, though they may have similar experiences. Hence preferring the term "coping link" to "coping kin", since they are distinct from kin.

The dog trots freely in the street/and sees reality/and the things he sees/are bigger than himself- Lawrence Ferlinghetti
2018-08-26 11:31
Save
Give Thanks
Future
the fog comes on little cat feet
Theriotype: Domestic black cat (Bombay)
Contribution: tick tick tick 

It's been discussed before, yeah. In a thread centered on Tumblr, I believe?

They refuse to let go of the label of "'kin" even though it doesn't fit them, as if it's lesser to not be 'kin, or something. Take insult when anyone suggests another label might fit them better. So many things have been rearranged for them, given the term of "copinglink" as an attempt for them to stop calling themselves 'kin and included under the label of "alterhuman" just so that they don't feel like they're being kicked out of a community that isn't theirs in the first place, god forbid. /sarcasm

They can cope however they like, that's their personal business. It really is just highly irritating, especially when they dilute kin spaces and act as if relating to a character is what being 'kin is. Tumblr in general is a big mess.
2018-08-26 19:13
Save
Give Thanks
ArchieAce
Local Cockatoo Thing

Sorry, I didn't know this was discussed before, heh.

I agree 100% that being a Therian isn't a choice nor coping mechanism, but an identity, a part of who you are--if not wholly. It borders on infuriating me when they say "I'm kin to cope uwu" and... they really aren't 'kin at all.
2018-08-26 21:48
Save
Give Thanks
Maverick
Forever questioning
Theriotype: Wolf, crocodilian, questioning others
Experience: Therian, (otherkin?)
Contribution: tick 

The term "copinglink" was created by Page (who-is-page on tumblr) specifically to draw a line between people who choose/adopt nonhuman identities and actual otherkin/therians.

Here is the post with the original defintion/s.

Later, the term "otherlink" was also added, I believe, since not everyone who chooses to identify as non-human does so in order to cope.

So copinglink/otherlink is still on the "alterhuman" spectrum, but definitely not otherkinity/therianthropy (or fictionkinity).

Those with pages full of "kintypes" (or "kins" as they like to call it), who usually refuse to use correct terminology or educate themselves are neither c-link nor otherkin.
They're simply tumblrkin/wishkin. Mostly teens or kids that want to fit in, treat it all as some sort of trend and have no actual idea what alterhumanity really is.

I've been on tumblr for a long time now and I've seen it all, unfortunately.
"Annoyed" and "bothered" doesn't even begin to describe what I feel when I browse the otherkin, therian, fictionkin, etc. tags on there. For my own sake and sanity, I try to stay away from the tumblr "'kin" community.
There's several greymuzzles and otherkin on there who are dedicated to correct and reduce the tons of misinformation, fluff and general bs, but a lot of tumblrkin just won't listen or will even react aggressively. I run an alterhuman resource blog myself because of that.
(Once I've been blocked after being called ableist and racist for trying to tell someone that they're c-link and not otherkin...)

So, there's definitely a difference between otherkin/therians, copinglink and tumblrkin.
(This post was last modified: 2018-08-27 15:47 by Maverick.)
2018-08-27 15:45
Save
Give Thanks
Vyt
Research Dog
Theriotype: Border Collie Dog

@Maverick ooh, can I get a link to your alterhuman resource blog? (through PM's is fine)

The dog trots freely in the street/and sees reality/and the things he sees/are bigger than himself- Lawrence Ferlinghetti
2018-08-27 17:34
Save
Give Thanks
ArchieAce
Local Cockatoo Thing

I'd love to see it too, that is if you're ok DMing it to me!

I did mean to say tumblrkin, but the term escaped me at the time.
2018-08-27 23:03
Save
Give Thanks
oddity
Team Oddity
Theriotype: Multiple System
Experience: Therian, Otherkin
Contribution:

Several members of my system have copinglinks (as do I to some extent) and we find that they are effective when it comes to, well, coping with things.

In relation to the otherkin community with these c'links I personally view it similarly to the way I do with otherkin vs. otherhearted. There are not as many resources out there for otherhearted or having a c'link, but finding otherkin resources is easier. So where appropriate I will interact with otherkin things for kithtypes/c'links while stating I am such. Of course I still do consider myself to be otherkin under being a fictive and nonhuman, but being otherhearted and a copinglink is still just as important to my identity.

I don't think copinglinks should be completely excluded but people should know the difference. There is nothing wrong with not being kin and any other identities do not and should not fall as lesser. Although kin is a more common experience and is both what people find first and what people find the most community in.

-Rex
2018-08-29 19:04
Save
Give Thanks
Goat
Away
Copy cat
Theriotype: -
Experience: Human
Contribution: tick 

I have to kindly disagree, if someone wants to be something else to cope we should let them. I think everyone has a right to be a Therian, Otherkin, or whatever if they so choose. Smile

EDIT: I retract this statement. it no longer exists.
(This post was last modified: 2018-09-23 23:34 by Goat.)
2018-09-20 23:52
Save
Give Thanks
WolfVanZandt
Elephant in the room
Theriotype: wolf

Hmmm. Does everybody have a right to be a Native American, or an Australian Aborigine, or a Japanese if they choose?
2018-09-21 1:39
Save
Give Thanks